'He speaks Thai'

khunsanuk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I warmly recall last August, SSG and I were sitting in a border check crossing into Poi Pet, being shaken down by the border cops (beat me out of an extra 700 bht), she was speaking 1/2 Thai, 1/2 Khmen to him. I knew he was asking about me, and she tells the guy in Thai, "ask him yourself, he speaks Thai..." to wit, I answered his question, in my shitty Thai...about that point, his bullshit quest for money stopped, and we were on our way. I do have a friend who works in PP, she hates the fact that I can speak Any Thai, poorly or not...

I also think it is a bit of both.

About 4 or 5 years back I saw a Farang who had been living here about 30+ years give a speech entirely in Thai. This was back when there was considerable tension about non-performing loans (well, certainly much more than now). I was at a table with some fairly prominent Thai businessmen who owned businesses deep in debt. Something of them a very active now in politics. They did not know that I spoke Thai (I can read and write as well). The speech was pretty bland; he basically said good corporate governance is good, but he did not go into details or give local examples of bad corporate governance (something I would be tempted to do).

After the speech there was a heated discussion, in Thai, about how it was really bad for the country that a farang had been allowed to stay in the country so long that he could speak Thai fluently and presumably knew way more about Thailand than he should. The consensus seemed to be that this was a prime example of what was wrong with Thailand these days. They reached the rather startling conclusion that Thailand suffered from too much transparency. A few eyed me warily, but I did not speak a word of Thai. In English they all agreed that, yes, good corporate governance is good. No details of course. Oh yes, the meal at this banquet was not Thai, but Chinese.

Having said that, I do believe that many Thais are flattered that a Farang has taken the time to learn Thai. It is not exactly an international language, and learing the language does demonstrate a special interest in the cultural.

Now returning to to the subject of shark tanks, I agree with Flashermac's comment:

In the bars, I've found that speaking Thai tends to drive away the mercenary BGs. It shows right away that you are not a newbie they can rip off. Most BGs are happy to find somebody they can talk to, and many a time I've been a shoulder to cry on as they told me their troubles. But the greedy BGs will quickly dump you as soon as you begin to speak fairly fluent Thai to them. A dancer in Nana once approached me with her hand extended, greeting me in BG English. I responded in Thai -- and the gal literally spun on her heels in her haste to get away from me.
I would only add that you are more likely to find this type of girls in environments such as Spassos and Hard Rock, where there is a greater opportunity to profit from deception. Sort of like the banquet I mentioned above.

>>>After the speech there was a heated discussion, in Thai, about how it was really bad for the country that a farang had been allowed to stay in the country so long that he could speak Thai fluently and presumably knew way more about Thailand than he should. <<<

interesting.

what would those folks say that their opinion and the one of the more mercantile bargirls appear to be rather similar? ... ;)

<< Oh yes, the meal at this banquet was not Thai, but Chinese. >>

Ah, yes ... the Thais are so proud of never having been colonised. But in reality, the country is run by ethnic Chinese! Just what do you think Thaksin is? How about the governor of Bangkok? Traditionally, the only opening for money and power for ethnic Thais has been through the military. They are largely shut out of business.

Maybe they should adopt the policy of Malaysia (I believe), that of restricting the percentage of government and business that can be run by non-Malay (chinese) persons.

Regards

Archived