'He speaks Thai'

khunsanuk

How can you do that when the Chinese business class more or less controls the government?

I've had Chinese-Thais admit to me that they like things the way they are. "Thais are lazy", they will tell you -- as their excuse.

p.s. But don't think that by any means all Chinese-Thais are wealthy. Most are just ordinary shopkeepers, tailors, restaurant owners, taxi drivers, teachers, civil servants etc. Yet try to remember the last time you saw a Chinese-Thai bar girl!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh - this is getting t political anyway.

Agreed, ND. The thread started with 'They make it a point of mentioning that I speak their language', and somehow veered into China-bashing. Farangs attacking the degree of Chinese influence in SE Asia is no better than Thais railing against the influence of the dreaded Farang in their country.

'They make it a point of mentioning that I speak their language', and somehow veered into China-bashing. Farangs attacking the degree of Chinese influence in SE Asia is no better than Thais railing against the influence of the dreaded Farang in their country.
This is true, but the blantant hypocrisy of certain powerful Thai-Chinese businessmen crapping on Thais while wrapping themselves in the Thai flag when confronted with foreign competition makes the point here a bit different and much more galling. The point is the manipulative hypocrisy. I will leave it that since it does become political when we take it further.

>>>How can you do that when the Chinese business class more or less controls the government?<<<

and that is a bit of a worry i have.

since pibulsonkram's days thai chinese have never had any serious problems in thailand (and race riots such as the horrific ones in indonesia never happened here). but this "CEO" systhem, all chinese style hidden under a very un-thai sort of nationalism might get a bit of a backlash as soon as the systhem collapses (which it will), and people wake up to the realities.

I reckon the most competent of all the farangs speaking Thai here must be the bald Aussie guy on the breakfast show on Channel 3. I think his name is Andrew Biggs or something similar. Anyone who thinks they speak Thai (reasonably) well (myself included) should take a look at him in action. Made me realise how far I have to go. For me, its a real joy to watch, how an "outsider" can perfect the language to this degree.

Andrew, if you're reading, respect !

INTJ.

The only way to really improve your Thai is by reading. Otherwise, you find yourself in the same situations over and over again using the same vocabulary.

We noticed fairly on in the Peace Corps that our Thai had reached a plateau. It was excellent for ordinary situations, but outside of them we were tongue tied. Thus you have to read!

Archived