Farangs disgraced at the Grand Palace

Neo

I actually don't mind Thai's paying less to enter places like the grand palace, but they are doing something that I think really is a sham. They have an enforced dress code for foreigners, but NONE for Thai's. There is a special entry line for foreigners equipped with multiple people whose sole job is to meticulously scrutinize each foreigner for the very slightest infringement of the dress code like shoes not strapped to the heel, sleeves rolled up, skirts, etc ::. Right next to this line Thai's are VERY commonly (a very important point) and in blatant view of tourists walking in unimpeded with flip flops, shorts, spagetti tops, and the most casual dress imaginable.

If Thai's have and honor a dress code for such sacred places, then I?m totally for farangs respecting it as well. But when they dream up a dress code for foreigners that is a higher standard than Thai?s commonly use, it is plainly hypocritical and annoying. ::

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because of those rules i personally have refused to enter that place since a decade. when i have guests who really want to see it, i wait outside.

apart from that - the grand palace is IMHO a mishappen architectural mixture of european neoclassicim with thai style roofs.

and instead of wat pa kheo i accompany people to wat po - where i get in for free by showing my workpermit or taxcard, same like thai people.

Hi Neo,

As I have seen it, farangs are much more likely to dress up casually or without respect as many are not familiar with the dress code.

Thais do know how to dress appropriately, but if they like you say don`t abide by those rules and are still allowed in.... well :banghead:

Never noticed that myself though, but your word for that is good enough for me :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi,

"I never noticed this, don't think it was always this way."

Correct. I think it has gotten worse lately. Last time I was there there was a seperate area for foreigners to get all kinds of extra clothing. This was not there the previous time (about 2 years ago maybe).

Dress code for Thais has always been non-existant as far as I know. Nitpicking with foreigners seemed to have increased.

Sanuk!

I too feel Wat Pho and Wat Arun are far better destinations. They have a more peaceful and natural feel to them. The buildings at the grand palace tend to be closed and locked with lots of signs here and there saying what not to do and the ground is all tarmac giving an overall coldness. In the key building where the Emerald Buddha is, pictures are not even allowed! Knowing what I know now, a better plan is to spend time other places and just cruise by the palace by boat to see it and buy a 5 baht post card of the Emerald Buddha. It is after all sweltering hot and you'll be in the sun all the time at the grand palace with a very complete set of clothing thanks to the farang dress code. It's true some Thai's do show up to the grand palace dressed smartly, but a lot do not if this holiday weekend was any indication.

Guest lazyphil

The Grand Palace is very boring. Much rather go to my Mrs local temple up river. Shame Thais cant exercise respect at Angkr Wat, I heard they caused a big riot in PP with their arrogance?

Guest lazyphil

>Nitpicking with foreigners seemed to have increased.>

If I wasn´t married to a Thai I would not bother/miss going there a great deal, 3 holidays OS this year, 1 in LOS.

Archived