Do falang men perceive Thai ladies as equals?

I have often heard that women from the East, and Russia for that sake, are ?good old fashion? wifes, the way western women was in the 50?s

Treating my wife like it is the 04, I discovered that she liked it just as much as western women does. Would she assume the role of a maid? Yes I believe she could, but it would change the relationship from a marriage to an act in my view. It would make her suppress her desires.

She was very impressed looking at all the jobs women have in my home country, and thought it was good.

She might have been conditioned to accept a lesser role in her culture, but it is not what she wants out of life. Why would I cheat my self out of a good relationship by reducing her to my maid?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, you are cooking for her at least 50% of the time. Does she allow you to cook what you want or do you take orders?

Yes, thai women fit nicely into traditional roles so we do not have the role confusion we see in the west. Are we don't object to them taking these roles and would say many are over here because of the traditional we both fulfill.

Are they equal? Probably not because we take the better roles and it is done on purpose (called control)....

On the phone to Miss Red today.. the topic of Valentines' Day came up, I suggested I cook dinner for her. Romantic dinner together in the new house - that kind of thing. She thought it was a hilarious idea. Normally we cook together, occasionally she does it on her own if I'm late at work. No big deal.

Are we equal? No way! She's far more intelligent, good looking, funny and resourceful than I am. Bilingual, good cook, great in the sack and far more couth than I'll ever be.

MM,

Another interesting comment about eating at marriott or other expensive restaurants with thai girls...

What i have found is that it depends on the type of thai women you take to expensive restaurants.

Many girls from low economic backgrounds just perceive in those environments themselves "as a fish out of water". They don't like the atmosphere, uncomfortable with all the foreigners, other non-similar customers, the foreign food and the staff who works there. I have found that the visible staff are usually bkk born thai or having thai chinese orgins. Expensive hotels and their restaunrants to me are notorious for discriminatory hiring practices very similar to airlines' practices.

These poor girls much rather be eating in familar surroundings and all thais lirregardless of econ status look at the value of food as well. Are we talking thai food or foreign food? Rarely will you find thai women prefer foreign food to thai food to the point where many thais of lower econ status have really never even tried food outside of thai, isaan, or chinese dishes.

I always get a chuckle when i see a well-to-do falang with a farm girl type yet i do feel for the girl because they are usually look so uncomfortable in those surroundings. Another case where falangs just don't understand who they are with and trying to imprint their own culture on their companionship no matter who....

If you take middle class or thai girls raised in families where they have some history with expensive restaurants, they will view the whole experience differ than poor Thai girls. Those places you mention you will see a number of large, chinese families going there for weekend brunches on a regular basis. I doubt these girls are the type of girls' descriptions you are describing?

As to your point about food cooking, you make valid points but equality has nothing to with it. My point is that if you want to talk equality, you should share in the cooking duties as well. If ain't equality in the picture who painted whether she cooks her own food or not....

Cardinalblue

>>>>Expensive hotels and their restaunrants to me are notorious for discriminatory hiring practices very similar to airlines' practices.<<<

that is also one of the reasons why food in the 5 star hotels is generally shite. kitchen staff is hired on account of a college certificate, and not by ability.

we had several head chefs of five star hotels desperately trying to hire my missus (first rate cook who learned in one of thailand's best chinese restaurants), but could not get through the GM due to lack of schoolcertificates. their loss.

[color:"red"] You are only going to have equality when you have two parties who have similar socio-econ backgrounds, cognitive abilities, marketable skills and leverage with the same advantages and disadvantages...

[/color]

You will be surprised that 2 persons from different countries can have similar family background, education and values, dear CB. It happens to me and Hubby and a few couple I have met here.

The lady who translates Harry Potter into Thai and her British husband have very similar background (if you leave off, born and raised in different countries of course). They both have very the same degrees, teaching in Univ. in England, similar middle class background.

The longer Hubby and I have been together, the more we have found similar values and belief, it is simply incredible. :D

Jasmine

[color:"red"] The reason for saying this is that I have seen too many couples in which she cooks his food and then she cooks her food. In some cases, she cooks his food and has to eat his food. Recently one Thai lady told me that Falangs like to spend big money eating at J.W. Marriott and the Landmark. She finished the conversationby saying the food at both places is terrible. Toa Thai, it probably is. To a falang, it is good food.

[/color]

Food, dear MM, is the matter of preference. My longtime partner (Hubby) needs more meat than me and certain spices upset his stomach, so I cook what he likes to eat or what he I think is good for him. Sometimes he eats what Thai food I cook sometimes he does not and sometimes I eat non-Thai food.

It is NOT a big deal, it becomes a big deal when you used " [color:"red"]"Is she allowed to prepare food the way she wants or does she cook what you want?" [/color] The word "allow" to me is one gives "permission" for one to do something. That is a bunch of "bull" for a spouse to allow one to cook something or not. All I can say is that "How dare a man allow or not allow a woman to do or not to do something, especially cooking?" :: For example, while I am writing this, this AM, Hubby is eating oatmeal and I am eating leftover for breakfast, what is the big deal? :(

Jasmine

[color:"red"] Many girls from low economic backgrounds just perceive in those environments themselves "as a fish out of water". They don't like the atmosphere, uncomfortable with all the foreigners, other non-similar customers, the foreign food and the staff who works there. I have found that the visible staff are usually bkk born thai or having thai chinese orgins. Expensive hotels and their restaunrants to me are notorious for discriminatory hiring practices very similar to airlines' practices.

[/color]

You observed similar things I did, more in Europe fancy restaurants with Thai women. Also, regular Thais can be "uncomfortable" in some restuarants in Thailand too.

I have a funny (for me) story to tell you. When I received the scholarship to the USA, one training received was the table manner. Unfortunately, the table manners were more "British" so most of us learnt how to use the fork and knife "American style " on our own :D

No matter what I refuse to lick my fingers in public, like the darn fried chicken commercial here trying to say "Finger Licking Delicious". :o

[color:"red"] As to your point about food cooking, you make valid points but equality has nothing to with it. My point is that if you want to talk equality, you should share in the cooking duties as well. If ain't equality in the picture who painted whether she cooks her own food or not.... [/color]

Agreed that "equality" has nothing to do with cooking, it is more like "controlling". I cook Hubby cleans, that is all there is, however, even if I reheat left-overs, he still cleans, ok? :neener:

A woman, from Isaan, college grad, very intelligent, no nightlife background, told her ex once that "What the hell do you think fed me to be big enough for you to screw? Not Isaan food? You have no right to tell me what to eat and not to eat". I rest my case. :beer:

Jasmine :D

Archived