Do falang men perceive Thai ladies as equals?

LP,

Would you elaborate on your post where you say you agree within LOS but in another country it would be different?

I would think it would be universal no matter what country one is in?

When i have been in gay bars in san francsico or in macho biker bars north of san francisco, I have felt like "a fish out of water"...

I give socio-econ backgrounds and influences a whole lot of weight and cause for the uncomfortability rather than pure geographic locations (america vs england vs thailand)...

Cardinalblue

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, what then shall i do when my social background and my economic background could not be much further apart? you know, regarding socio-economic backgrounds... ::

...and me missus of nearly 11 years now is again another couple of miles away socio-economically wise. :doah:

personally, i don't really give a fuck ;) - even after 11 years i still find a new side of the missus to explore. the question for me is not if our backgrounds are compatible, but how much we are willing to put into the relationship to keep it from going stale.

[color:"red"] Just yesterday we had a roast dinner at my parents house, pork, roast spuds, the works, and she LOVES it, if she didn't she wouldn't eat it pure and simple (she prefers roast lamb though), she cooks up spicey food all the time also which I love and so do my parents when they come round. When we returned from Austria last week visiting friends the first thing she wanted was me to make a pot of nicely stewed tea English style, thats my girl!

[/color]

Are you saying that you met Thai people who do not eat roast, drink English tea? My father used to drink English tea all the time but I find green tea better.

I don't find the roast any different than the grilled, roast meat in Thailand. Potatoes, when I was little, we cooked them in the open fire, just like the sweet potatos.

There used to be a guy in college who lived on roast and potatoes, only he spiced it up once in a while with fish sauce, hot pepper. I used to live on peanut butter and bread in college days, when having a banana with it was luxery.

What many Thais cannot go without for a long period of time is rice, which I can. Some spice in food is normally missed. I don't see the big deal about food, it is the EASIEST thing to solve for it is transparent. If the only problem a couple has is about food, they are just fine and happy couple. :D

Jasmine

[color:"red"] As a matter of fact, i believe they can and usually do exceed one nationality relationships. My thoughts are based on the cultural diversity and the dynamics that these relationships have and they will tend to be less boring than their stable counterparts.

[/color]

Thanks for the explanation my friend. I believe in culture diversity also and I see positive in practicing such that ones get and retained the best of both worlds.

I have found that in my career (I am retired now), certain qualities of Asian made it quite well with my former bosses and collegues and especially the customers. I also found certain ways of thinking does make dealing with some Thais easier.

Jasmine

Zaad said:

It sounds like superiority crap to me. Perhaps that's the way you (and/or others) 'control' a relationship but not in my house. At least not that I'm aware of :)

Has nothing to do with control. Who the heck has time to "control" anyone? People are going to do what they are willing to do and that is that.

Control is hardly an issue in my relationships. Every now and then I do have to break down a farang GF and get her to check her attitude but nothing major.

Anyway, I'd appreciate to hear some examples (from you JJ or others with similar pov) why you believe someone is always in a superior position.

Just look around you in everyday life. How many people would you consider your equal? I don't consider many to be mine. I respect people as we should all be respected but that respect does not equate to "equality" in our world.

People are like pack animals IMO. Someone always have to be the leader and someone always has to be the follower. i just happen to be the natural leader in my relationships and I have yet to meet a chick that I would willingly follow.

Of course there is always an exception. There was this one chick that I met in my uni days. She was an Indian chick from India. She was not much of a looker. She had a perfect GPA but that never impresses me. What hooked me was we had a conversation for about 3 hours one night. I was sort of dating her roomate at the time. We talked about a million things in those 3 hours and I was awed by the beauty of her mind/intelligence. The stimulation was erotic as hell. I had never been turned on in that way. I fell in love with that chick, so much so, I wanted to shag her on the spot and propose to her afterwards. of course when you are young you let a lot of little shit get in the way and as a result we never hooked up. I have never met a more brilliant woman since and none that even impressed me half as much as she did.

Were we equals? Nope, she was intellectually and spiritually way beyond me. We sure as hell connected though.

Hua Nguu said:

Only problem is that I have to prepare separate meals for the kids as they cannot eat the food that she likes.

Hua Nguu

I'm only asking out of curiosity but are the kids your's and her's together? Wouldn't your wife have been feeding them her cooking from a very young age? Or are they your children from a previous marriage?

Guest lazyphil

I was merely saying my mrs doesn't depend on Thai food, just had two weeks in Austria eating sour kraut etc, she drew the line at freshly hunted deer from the woods, no idea why though, tasted very good....something to do with watching Bambi :dunno: ::......I've met plenty of Thais who are rather obsessive about Thai food.

Guest lazyphil

<<Would you elaborate on your post where you say you agree within LOS but in another country it would be different?>>

Last summer we were at my friends sisters wedding do in a very upper middle class area just outside Chicago, lots of well to do people, my mrs kind of unique as the only Thai there, she blended in believe it or not, not exchanging her college back ground etc, but answering questions about life in her hometown, bkk (not bars of course!) from interested people, people like this are well travelled and inquiring, she felt quite comfortable. Shes been in pretty upmarket restaurants with me in England, shes had evenings in the company with a good friend whos a city trader in London with his gf who works high up in the BBC shes as comfortable here as with my friends down my old home towns social club shooting pool ,big deal, its not a big deal is it but maybe in LOS, dunno never tried to be honest.

lazyphil said:

I've met plenty of Thais who are rather obsessive about Thai food.

Yep, Phil. I will sign that! Ex is one of those who pretends to eat farang food (takes small bites), stuffs herself happily on her food when she gets home.

Its not only a matter of rice for her, she has to have the spicy stuff. She used to work as a cook in a Thai resturant, she isn't necessarily satisfied with any Thai food - many of her friends fall short of her standards. And again, she will fill herself up getting home.

She can make pretty much all kind of Thai cuisine, but Isaan food is what she prefers herself. The soups we farang struggle with, at least me. Veggies galore and fish etc.

Viet food is more suitable for us foreigners, there is no need for seperate dishes for me and my wife.

Cheers!

Mine absolutely prefers Thai food and will only nibble at farang food. Even though she sometimes comes out in a rash if she eats certain shellfish, she still goes for them if they are good quality.

Quite handy for me though as I prefer Thai food to farang food and I prefer asian food to any other type of cooking.

She can also eat like a horse and is never "im" for very long !

Archived