Rape of Nanking, the forgotten Holocaust

spirit_of_town_hall

>>>Western empires brought peace more than destruction - pax romana. When the conquerors dissolve, that is when the world goes to the shits. Rome gets sacked and what do we get? A thousand years of the dark ages.<<<

i believe that the world goes to shit as soon as one starts building an empire. the process of empire building is bloody, to keep it means supressing conflicts that can be solved on smaller scales. in the process of collapse smoldering conflicts come into the open, and then descend into dark ages when the emipre has collapsed.

the bigger the empire the more catastrophic the collapse.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fly

Re Troy

Movies are made for mass consumption international markets these days.

Therefore they have to dumb them down.

That is why little in the way of very good cinmena comes out of Hollywood these days.

What you get is a formularised MacDonalds style fast food style of entertainment i.e. visually appealing, initially tasty but something that leaves very little in the way of a pleasant after taste.

The kids movies made out of Hollywood are much better these days than the majority of movies made for adults.

I am not sure why that is but there have been some great kids films in the last few years.

Hi!

even his children could not keep the empire he built,

So what you're saying is that if someone tries to oppress others and fails, then that person is basically a nice person.

has any culture conquered as many continents as western culture, destroyed as many indigenous cultures as western culture did (just think of the south and north american indians, the australian aborinees, etc.)?

Probably not, and the worst cuprits were the christian missionaries when it came to destroying other cultures and people, just look at Rwanda.

regards

ALHOLK

"Probably not, and the worst cuprits were the christian missionaries when it came to destroying other cultures and people, just look at Rwanda."

Hey they were just trying to bring Christianity to those poor dumb natives!

Bible in one hand and a sword in the other.

>>>So what you're saying is that if someone tries to oppress others and fails, then that person is basically a nice person.<<<

eh...what?

has nothing to do with nice (how should i know if djinghis khan was nice - that was a bit before me time ;) ). just that he was more of an exception that the rule, while empire building seems to be a major addiction of the west.

>>>and the worst cuprits were the christian missionaries <<<

yeps. which is somehow the heart of western culture since about two millenia.

spirit_of_town_hall said:

Very interesting post, I think the people of OZ, US, Canada etc have a lot to thank Britain for. It made you the people you are.

STH

...while the native people were slaughtered off. i guess they are not really that grateful...

but, no, that cannot have happened - we from the western civilasation are not as cruel as the japanese...

...while the native people were slaughtered off. i guess they are not really that grateful...

but, no, that cannot have happened - we from the western civilasation are not as cruel as the japanese...

Jesus, Fly - get *over* it !

Yes, our forebears poisoned waterholes and shot aboriginals like dogs.

Yes, we took their children from them in the 1950's and tried to give them a 'proper' upbringing.

Yes, racism remains entrenched in much of white Australia, and much of it is directed towards indigeneous people

For all this evil, our courts have repeatedly upheld native title claims, and billions have been pumped into attempts to improve the lot of aboriginal people. A lot of it has been squandered, and more harm has been done by well-meaning (but clueless) administrators and do-gooders, but we are making an *attempt* to right the wrongs of the past. We could just as easily have consigned aboriginal people to the role of a servant class, like Mexicans in California, and re-written the history books (as invaders have done for centuries - we all remember what a *wonderful* man Cortez was from our history lessons, bringing 'civilisation' to the new world).

How many countries, let alone former colonies, have been able to reconcile their 'modern' populations with their original inhabitants ? In many cases, such minorities are openly persecuted: correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Japanese have their own such people, an eternal lower caste ? 'Buraku'/ 'Burakumin', from memory ....

None of this is a justification for what happened, and continues to happen, its simply the way it is, at least in my view. I dont expect modern Japanese to apologise to the rest of the world for WWII, but I would like to see some of the suriving military commanders take responsiblity for their actions. They brutalised their own soldiers, in the hope of maintaining discipline, and engendered an attitude that human adversaries were little more than animals. Japan moved on after 1945 - unfortunately, the rest of the world wasnt so fortunate.

Archived