Rape of Nanking, the forgotten Holocaust

spirit_of_town_hall

I'm sure I read somewhere that an incendiary bomb raid on Tokyo killed a 140,000 in one single night

I seem to remember reading something about two other bombs that levelled entire Japanese cities, but the Allies claim that it was necessary - that the Emporer would not have surrendered until they made it clear that he'd have little more than ashes to rule over. As I said before, the victors always get to write the history books.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Japanese don't get it. Here you see the difference between Germany and Japan concerning WWII, as BB already said Germany is paying pensions to many people outside Germany who where victims of the Nazi regime. And to say it again: Until now Japan has not really and clear apologized to the victims. All apologies where very weak and avoided an unambiguous confession of their guilt.

Top court nixes sex slave, Korean vet suit

Plaintiffs charge bench after quick ruling puts end to landmark 13-year battle

Japan Times

The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a damages suit against the government by Korean wartime sex slaves and former Korean soldiers forced to serve the Imperial Japanese Army during the war.

The ruling was handed down in only two minutes, and plaintiffs shouted their dissatisfaction with the decision. Some even climbed over the barrier of the gallery seats and headed toward the justices' seats before being stopped by guards.

The ruling puts an end to a 13-year legal battle by the 35 plaintiffs, including relatives of victims who have died, who were seeking 20 million yen each in compensation from the government for their suffering.

The redress lawsuit, filed in 1991, was the first of its kind by former sex slaves, who were forced to serve at frontline brothels for Japanese military personnel. The sex slaves are euphemistically known in Japan as "comfort women."

The Tokyo District Court and Tokyo High Court both rejected the plaintiffs' demands for damages, prompting them to appeal to the top court.

Presiding Justice Osamu Tsuno of the Supreme Court said, "Compensation for damages caused by Japan during war is not envisioned" under the postwar Constitution. :banghead:

He also brushed aside the plaintiffs' claim that it runs counter to the constitutional principle of equality for Japan to deny compensation to the Korean soldiers, who lost their Japanese nationality following Japan's wartime defeat.

The Korean Peninsula was under Japanese colonial rule between 1910 and 1945.

In its July 2003 ruling, the high court acknowledged for the first time that the government had failed in its obligation to provide security for the Korean soldiers and women.

It also ruled for the first time against the government's claim that it would not be subject to responsibility over administrative authority exercised prior to postwar enactment of the national redress law.

But it rejected the compensation claims and backed the government's stance that the plaintiffs' right to claim redress expired under an agreement signed between Japan and South Korea in 1965.

The former Korean soldiers were conscripted into the Japanese military in the early 1940s. The plaintiffs included relatives of those who were killed in combat and others who who died when their ship sank on the way back home following the war's end.

The Korean women were forced to provide sex to Japanese soldiers at garrisons in China and elsewhere.

Historians estimate that up to 200,000 women, mostly from the Korean Peninsula and other parts of Asia, were forced to serve as sex slaves for Japanese military personnel before and during the war.

A series of similar lawsuits followed after this suit was filed in 1991 by the Association of Pacific War Victims and Bereaved Families, led by Kim Jong Dae.

The Japan Times: Nov. 30, 2004

© All rights reserved

yeah, but did mcnamara or westmooreland ever see a trial for crimes against humanity? based on their paranoid miscalculations about the objectives of the vietcong and northvietnam millions of people were killed.

Hi!

I think the officer who initiated the Mei Lai massacre was convicted.

As I recall it the officer that led the massacre in the field was confined to quarters for something like 3 months. The offeicer that issued the orders was never charged. It's reassuring to know that the throw the book at the real criinals.

regards

ALHOLK

The government of Japan never wanted to outright apologise for activities including the use of 'Comfort Women' [Korean Sex Slaves]. Therefore, when it became a political hot potato in the 1990's with revisionist histories being written they tried to buy off the women :o

Prominent historians now including one at the University of California - San Diego have cited the US's lack of action, as complicity.

Apparently evidence and accounts have surfaced of the US using the 'Comfort Women' as their sex toys during the first months of occupation :doah:

The attempts to silence the 'Comfort Women' have been many.. The largest was led by a Liberal politician in the 1990's who gathered millions of yen and wrote a letter from his 'organisation' apologising. He tried to make a pay out.

There is a scene in a documentary "Comfort Women" where a Korean woman, in her 70's, and still working in a field says, "I would never accept their money to shut me up. The government of Japan owes me an apology and acknowledgement."

The other sad lot were the Koreans who worked in the factories to send money home, and were victims of the bomb. Records show that these men and women were seldom paid at all and never the amounts promised to them by those bringing them over. These were labourers who were convinced by Japanese propaganda in Korea. :down: The ads taken out and claims of wealth to be had were made by local governor generals.

A few have demanded treatment by Japanese hospitals, as other survivors in Japan receive. However, they were dismissed as 'not Japanese nationals'. Yet, court cases have continued of labourers who suffered from the bomb, but cannot get treatment in Korea especially since the 1980's.

Post-war alot of these people had no citizenship at all, and were left starving in the streets. Many had taken Japanese names. They had no documents, and were shipped back on boats pronto by the Americans. Meanwhile, they had no future at home anymore, or in Japan. These people are among the saddest of all the lost voices of the Pacific War and WWII in Japan.

Best,

the_numbers

Lt Colley was initially convicted and sent to jail for life, but was then released into house arrest by Nixon (one of the biggest cunts in the history of man, IMO). The administration did everything it could to cover it up (suprising, that ...).

My Lai

Looking for the details, I came upon this fascinating article about the soldier who allegedly bought it all to light:

Hugh Thompson

On March 16, 1968, Thompson landed his scout helicopter and halted American GIs from slaughtering unarmed men, women and children. Thompson ordered his door gunner to machinegun the GIs if they persisted. He radioed two other helicopters and with them evacuated about a dozen civilians to safety. He also reported the massacre to his superiors.

Later investigations revealed that GIS rampaged for four hours, raping, mutilating and murdering the civilians, in and near the hamlet of My Lai in coastal Quang Ngai Province.

I wasnt in Vietnam, but I admire Thompson's courage. Door gunner or no, he effectively took on an Infantry company single-handedly, and a clearly unhinged group of men to boot. My Lai was, in very large part, responsible for the 'baby-killer' tag that many Aussie vets had to live with when they returned home - thanks again, Uncle Sam.

Hi!

Very interesting link although this was only one of many war crimes. I have visited the museum of American war crimes in HCMC (Saigon) bofore thay were forced to change the to avoid trade sanktions. It is well worth a visit even though it has changed it's name.

I didn't know about this Thompson bloke. I wonder why there was nothing was reported about him in Swedish news media.

The massacre in My Lai was for many years known as the "Song My" massacre. I don't know if this was a local missconception or not.

regards

ALHOLK

my Uncle became a member of the British SAS in 1969 and told me stories of the SAS being involved in Vietnam towards the end of the conflict.

i do not know if the Brits were involved but maybe covertly ?.

of course i have to believe a blood relative and if his stories are true then many bad things happened.

he also had some great stories about the cold war involving Finland/Russia when he was stationed there.

and of course the problems in NI were a problem to him as he had to kill British people.

in Asia though it was not a problem to him as he was fighting an enemy that America had declared as terrible and the Brits (as today) had to tow the line.

but probably of track but i wonder about something.

the late great Warren Zevon composed a song called 'Roland the headless thompson gunner'

was this a metaphor for what happened in Vietnam at ML,after all a same neme.?

Archived