Thai motorcycles

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to Fatbastards shop, lots of cool bikes , and a nice guy too !

Also the BMW restoration shop had a few nice bikes ,

But I have not really noticed many European classic bikes on the streets in Thailand,

There are a few shops that convert smaller bikes to the chopper "look"

OC

awww! cut it out OC, your making me blush :o

As you would expect I ride a bike here, every day, I just havn't got the patience to sit in BKK's traffic getting nowhere in a car. Unfortunately MC's are regarded as low class traffic and usually treated with contempt by those who sit in the box, as well they are used as an easy source of funds by the police. Apart from that, its the way to travel around here for me and an additional benefit easy parking. Out in the country, there is no better feeling than cruising around on a big machine. even at my age. :: Thats the great thing about Thailand, you are never too old. Yesterday sold a 1000 cc machine to a Gentleman who will be 70 next year.

O.K., not a "Real" Chopper, but so far I have loved my little Honda Phantom... At 200cc's it seems small compared to the the bikes I have been use to in the States, but it is perfect for over here... Enough power to run with the cars / trucks up here in Issan, and just large enough to feel stable on the road at 90 or 100 kph... Plus most Thai's here are truly impressed with it...

Pianoman

Depending on what kind of riding you are planning. But say for utilitarian use around Phuket it is really hard to beat the little honda wave 125's.

They are light small maneuverable good on gas and cheap to acquire.

I rode a friends almost new phantom and was not very impressed. Build quality seemed barely adequate. The engine though a little more powerful was still very buzzy at speed. Not a comfortable bike for any real distance. Around town maneuverability was poor compare to the wave. And the cost nearly twice as much. They are much showier also which isn't always what a farang in thailand want's to do.

For putting around the island the wave is the ticket.

Though this thread and the links have got me lusting after a big machine again. This is a very bad thread!

This guy was as fit as most 20 years his junior and an experienced rider, he had a sports bike for 5 years previously in Pattaya. He was obviously able to handle the bike easily. So had no problem selling him the bike at all.

Not all 60+ year olds are broken down and wobbling around on a Zimmer frame.

Here's my two cents.

If you can afford it, you are far better off on a big bike than a small bike. My belief is that in order to be safe, you need to be able to move as fast or faster than the cars on the road, ortherwise you increase the risk of being hit. You also want a machine that can pass cars quickly on the open road. If you plan on doing any touring, make sure you buy something reliable.

When you say "chopper" are you referring to a bike set up like a standard Harley or a custom bike with extended forks? If the former, better refer to it as a cruiser. If you don't have much to spend, the jap brands have some nice cruisers. If you have a bigger budget, I would recommend a BMW or Harley. Harleys carry a big premium in LOS because of the import tax but not the BMWs.

Archived