Worried about high blood pressure

spirit_of_town_hall

I think it is way too soon to talk about BP medications. You first have to determine whether you have hypertension-a single value of 135/90 is insufficient for diagnosis.

You should get a bunch of readings at different times of the day (no smoking or caffeine/alcohol within 30 minutes of readings). Do this over a couple of weeks and then look at the average. If generally you are 140/90 or higher, then you have hypertension. Next step is lifestyle modification-weight loss if body mass index > 27, moderation of alcohol intake, regular exercise, smoking cessation (stopping cigarettes may not significantly change BP but reduces the cardiovascular risks), cholesterol reduction, etc. If after weeks to months of lifestyle changes your BP is still elevated, then you consider BP medications.

Many people are started on BP meds and get off them later after weight reduction, etc. Erectile function can be impaired, depending on the medication used, but usually not significantly in someone your age.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iam not a doctor but 135/90 is, also with your age in the borderline. The limit was

eralier 140/90, now 135/85. There is the effect that your blood pressure is always higher in a doctor room as at home.

I have to eat pills since 5 years, i started with 185/120!!! My doctroe was a bit shocked (me too). With the medicine i'am between around 135/85, 130/80.

I read 4 books about this problem, i was several times for check ups in a hospital (check up about possible organ harms - result was no). I have tried more a a dozen different pills with all give me side effects.

Now i eat 'Trandate' and 'Zestoretic" daily.

The problem comes from diferents kinds (also genetic and stress).

While i in LOS, my blood pressure comes down always after some days!

Against high blood pressure can help the reduce of weight, stop of smoking (yes yes i know) and reduce of the salted food.

Buy a book about that, it will help you to understand more about that - and,

don't panic (it just make your pressure more higher).

I take medication, Avapro, for HBP, too. My doctor told me HBP was the "silent killer" and so I decided to follow his advice. Just had a checkup and the blood pressure is at an acceptable level.

BTW, after reading here that some HBP medications may reduce sex drive I looked up the one I'm on on the Internet and couldn't find any mention of this side effect. I'm in my mid fifties and sometimes the equipment works great and sometimes I need a little pharmaceutical help. :dunno:

yes, is the silent killer because a lot of people have HBP, but they don't know that, because you can not feel it easy, not same as low blood pressure. I don't know

negative effects about sex and HBP pills - for me, it works. But a positive side effect for me is, that i have now rare headache since i take the pills, before i had headache twice a week.

Eliminating ET-OH and quitting smoking is the best course of action. Weight loss and exercise can also lower b.p. ... as well as meditation. The worst thing to do would be to do nothing. Also, I recommend having it checked elsewhere. Many exhibit elevated blood pressure just being in a doctor's office.

If none of that works, then there is a medication that is suitable, which would not alter libido. It's a beta blocker called atenolol (generic and affordable ... trade name is Tenormin).

I believe it's the only beta blocker that does not cross the blood-brain barrier, hence no effect on sex drive, and not much in the way of potential side effects. For most, it's as simple as one tablet a day.

Go for it instead of the diuretics. Good luck.

:up:

I have been taking Atenolol for about 15 years and never had problems with a limp willy.

My BP gets very high when I'm not on meds. My mother and father have the same problem so it's definitely genetic in my case. I was a fitness junky in my early days and I still had the problem so diet and exercise helps, but sometimes is not enough to correct the problem.

Archived