The clampdown begins!

Yehtmae

From todays Bangkok Post:

The interior minister is concerned about inadequate screening of foreigners, with huge numbers of undesirables slipping into the country each year.

Purachai Piumsombun said 10 of the 14 immigration checkpoints were unable to properly vet arrivals. "Only four entry points are equipped with online computers that can check visitors," he said.

The Interior, Foreign Affairs and Defence ministries needed to co-operate to find a solution.

Undesirables to be watched were mainly drug traffickers and rebels from neighbouring countries.

"They usually pick low-key checkpoints and enter the country posing as tourists," he said.

Mr Purachai suggested strict visa and immigration procedures for people from countries that treated Thai female travellers as if they were all prostitutes.

"They impose many procedures, as if all Thai women visiting their countries do so for purposes of prostitution.

"Thailand should also make it difficult for their people to come here," he said after a meeting of ministers concerned with national security.

It is not clear what measures the government has in mind.

Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said the meeting told the National Security Council to come up with immigration measures to balance trade and tourism promotion with crime prevention.

"If border passes are open at night there could be problems with money laundering, drugs and gambling dens along the border," he said.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This hoary old chestnut pops up once in a while, and usually results in a clampdown on Burmese, South Asian, Khmer, Indonesian or other such undesirables. Can't recall it ever effecting westerners or west asians. They're too concerned about 10 million +++ tourists...

quote:

Mr Purachai suggested strict visa and immigration procedures for people from countries that treated Thai female travellers as if they were all prostitutes.

"They impose many procedures, as if all Thai women visiting their countries do so for purposes of prostitution.

Is this a reference to the good ole US of A? I hope it isn't. Where would LOS be without our tourism $'s and, not to mention, our aid (military, infrastructure etc,etc....!

-k9

quote:

Originally posted by dogeater:

Is this a reference to the good ole US of A? I hope it isn't. Where would LOS be without our tourism $'s and, not to mention, our aid (military, infrastructure etc,etc....!

-k9

US, UK and nearly every other western country.

Hi,

I heard something about this some months ago.

LOS probably soon will require visa (in advance) from those countries demanding visa from thai citizens.

There seems to be a consensus about this and they don't give a shit if this decrease tourism or not - this is a matter of national pride. This is actually the law of Reciprocity.

If this means that tourists will need invitations from thai residents, maybe not for charter tourists, but for the rest of us?

So EU and US have two alternatives - abolish visa for thai citizens or have own citizens to apply for visa going to Thailand.

elef

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

Hi db,

yes, this will be a problem, but the question is important to the people - ie middle-class people treated as prostitutes when visiting North America and Europe. Thai GFs family is strongly in favor of the idea.

Personally, I think the popular opinion will be used as blackmail in visa negotiations.

elef

Hi db,

I think you and me have the same opinion.

Thai GF and her family are reprentatives of middle-class thai who can afford go away to Europe. They dislike sex tourism and they don't care about the dollar inflow. For them this is a matter of national pride.

The government cares about dollars, but men in power are nervous look like being pimps and not good thais. So the practical solution is to act like they satisfy the opinion same time as do nothing to destroy tourist incomes.

My guess is that government starts negotiations with western governments. Schengen countries will probably accept an agreement for no visa on tourism for 30 days. In that way the popular opinion will be satisfied.

elef

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

I think the Thais have a point, we can fly in to Thailand and stay for 30 days no problem. For them to come to the UK is incredibly hard,although saying that the Kings X Sauna and massage was packed with lovely Thai ladies last Saturday night, so they are getting them in some how.

I don't think western govts should really be that worried about Thais, sure a few more Thai women will come in and work in the sex trade, but the country won't be flooded with Thai men working illegally, I think they don't have the motivation.

The Thais in no way represent the same threat to a country, as say the Nigerians and Eastern Europeans who engage in big scale fraud, women traffiking and benefits fraud.

I think there should be a reciprocal agreement, the Thais represent no threat, to be honest I cant see many Thais wanting to come to cold England.

Also I can't really see the Thais encountering any problems with the indiginous white English population, like the Chinese they would be regarded as very different but likable and hard working. Where as a significant proportion of the population dislike Eastern European immigrants especially in London now, where they are visible and employ aggressive begging / hussling tactics.

tongue.gif" border="0

Archived