The clampdown begins!

Yehtmae

Just on the news in Thai TV. They talked about handling the tourist visa issue like india. There you can stay 6 months out of one year in india, the rest must be spent outside. Basically they said that they want to introduce, that you can't apply for one tourist visa after the other, that there must be a certain time spent outside Thailand between applications.

ouch!

Get a workpermit fast. Who knows, they might really do it this time.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flyonzewall,

The writing has been on the wall with this one for quite a while and your advice about getting a work permit is sound... I predict a tight toughening up on visa regulations that will affect people who come and go on tourist / non-immigrant B visas. For those folks working or on tourism stays of less than a few months, I can't see it being a problem. Hell, it might never happen, but I'm bettign that it will - and sooner rather than later.

I agree with stickman.> Even though I teach the son/daughter of both the head of immigration - suan plu and the labour department, the amount of red friggen tape that I had to go through to get the visa / WP was alot worse this year. Just glad I am qualified and in the system because it will be a lot difficult for backpacker at language schools to get a proper work visa.

Originally posted by elef:

"... they don't give a shit if this decrease tourism or not - this is a matter of national pride."

I wonder what will happen to that national pride if/when the economy collapses entirely due to a substantial decrease in tourism, and a few hundred thousand people in the tourism sector become unemployed. They'll be begging on their knees for people to come back.

I have no problem with the Thai government trying to keep foreign criminals at bay - but I dare say that the number of Thai prostitutes working abroad is far higher than the number of shady foreign characters

in Thailand. In Switzerland alone, there are 7,000 Thai prostitutes; Switzerland's entire population is about half of Bangkok's. Germany has some 30,000 Thai prostitutes, then there is Japan etc., etc. Again I personally have no problem whatsoever with these prostitutes being there, but I can see why the respective governments want to keep them out and impose strict visa rules on Thais.

Reciprocity in this respect is complete nonsense, a self-defeating idea. But then what can one expect from that light(weight) of the North, Thaksin.

Someone on this thread mentions that Thailand wants to handle the visa regulations like India. Another wonderful brain-wave. Since when has the Thai government been taking cues from the "khaek"? India, more than six times as big as Thailand, and with many more tourist attractions, gets a paltry 2.5 million tourists per year (a quarter of Thailand's); and a large number of these are Indians with foreign passports. Does Thailand want to emulate this kind of "success" story?

I just hope that some people in the Thai government will see the light. Sometimes pigs do fly. If not, expect Thailand's economy to nosedive to the level of Bangladesh's. Chok dee.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Hi Groover,

The Kings Cross Sauna and Massage

Imagine Kings X station, I think its either the first street parralel to the station on the left, or the second, could possibly be the 3rd I was really pissed.

It has a big black sign that says SAUNA, quite big frontage

I have been three times over the past 2 years, always been packed to the rafters with Thai ladies, quite nice as well.

I have been twice on a sat and once on a friday night.

Entrance fee £15 lady £70.

Service OK but a little rushed ie 30 minutes

The place is near to the top of the road, ir entrance of station on the left.

Good luck tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Someone on this thread mentions that Thailand wants to handle the visa regulations like India. Another wonderful brain-wave. Since when has the Thai government been taking cues from the "khaek"? India,

[/QB]

My old lady watched the news today on TV, she said that they really mentioned india there in this context.

in the last two years or so India and ASEAN started flirting with each other in earnest. I expect a lot more in the coming years.

Archived