The clampdown begins!

Yehtmae

Originally posted by Iaxia:

"Scum Baggio, actually it was about 10m as DB said. Most are Singaporean, but how long they stay and what they do is only speculating as the statistics don't say ..."

Yeah, just saw the Malaysian tourism board website. 5,4 m Singaporeans out of a total 10,2 m. From my experience of living in Singapore I'd say that most Singaporeans just stay for a day (a few hours actually), doing some cheap shopping in Johor Bahru. Saturdays and Sundays there a long queues at the bus stand to to J.B.

Then there are a few gamblers staying a max. of 2 days.

But I wonder what those 940,000 Thais were doing in Malaysia in 2000. Again, most of them wouldn't be tourists in the true sense of the word, rather day-trippers from the border areas on whatever errand (many even working illegally in Malaysia?).

The main problem with Malaysia these days is that one can't trust the government at all; I wouldn't even be surprised if they fudged tourism statistics, just to show the (Western) world what a popular country it is.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by Iaxia:

The main problem with Malaysia these days is that one can't trust the government at all; I wouldn't even be surprised if they fudged tourism statistics, just to show the (Western) world what a popular country it is.

Now, you're talking...

Originally posted by Shygye

quote:

Is it probable that factoring out hotel costs, the average sanuker spends more baht per day than the average non-sanuker?

Depends on which group of non-sanukers you mean.

Business people - doubt it

High end (Oriental, Shangri La, etc) tourists - no way

Backpackers - absolutely, by a factor of probably four or five fold.

Japanese- nope

Chinese derivations - Hong Kong, Singapore, PRC - almost surely

All of these are just MHO based on working in a tourist related industry for two years in Phuket. But I'd be willing to wager several beers that I'm right.

Is the sanuker's monetary contribution significant for only making up 10% of tourists- Abso-f'ng-lutely!

The average backpacker I dealt with, and I dealt with hundreds, would try to keep daily spending under 500 Baht. Can't stay in Asia for several months on mommy and daddie's allowance for much more than that.

The Japanese, as most folks know, outspend everyone.

Although Asians of various Chinese derivation may often have the money, they are not generally fond of parting with more than necessary.

If the average sanuker stays in a 1,000 - 1,500 Baht per night hotel, eats at decent restaurants (as opposed to the flea ridden stalls where I eat), shops, buys a few beers, pays a bar fine, and pays to play, they are probably spending somewhere between 2,500 - 5,000 Baht/per day (conservatively).

The average stay is probably 10 days (split the difference between the one week and two week crowd) - that would equate to about 40,000 Baht (again very conservatively) per sanuker.

40,000 x 1,000,000 = 40,000,000,000 Baht or about $909,090,909.00 US

I don't think close to a 1 Billion Dollar loss in revenue is insignificant.

But what do I know I'm not an economist. Maybe they can make it up in knock off watches and t-shirts.

If you assume that most of the people who come on business or conventions are male then the excess of males over females is 8%. Given that there is generally an excess of male of female tourists in most countries the number of true sex tourists is probably more like 5% - if that.

quote:

Originally posted by Snake Head:

If you assume that most of the people who come on business or conventions are male then the excess of males over females is 8%. Given that there is generally an excess of male of female tourists in most countries the number of true sex tourists is probably more like 5% - if that.

HUH?

This isn't Las Vegas, Nevada. Convention and business tourism probably account for less than 30% of sanuk tourism.

Hell, whole plane loads of European male tourists arrive every week in the high season with the specific goal of bonking little Asian lasses.

There is a whole cottage industry of sex tours.

That doesn't even remotely account for those folks that travel on their own, having heard of the scene by word of mouth.

Throw in expats, and you have significant dollars entering the Thai economy.

I plan on retiring to ole' Muang Thai, and will more than likely make many trips before then, spending hundreds of thousands of Baht.

Or Taksin can screw things up and maybe I won't.

What does that mean? Hmm, only about 10 or 15 million Baht invested into the Thai economy in the next twenty years. Not that much in the great scheme of things.

But if you multiply that by 100 people, or 1,000 people, or 10,000 people, it doesn't take a "Piled Higher and Deeper" to see an economic impact.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Brink15 ]

I'm generally not a fan of statistics as they are easily manipulated to make whatever point one wants.

Look at US elections as an example. Statisticians should rank next to lawyers on the short list to hell.

As far as LOS goes kiss your collectives asses goodbye, Taksin just baught his way through the corruption trials.

The crackdown hasn't even remotely begun.

If you want to make any statistics even slightly useful break them down not only by region, but sector as well.

Backpackers DO NOT spend wads of cash. This is not a guess, I had to market to them for two years. Typically they will seek out guesthouse accommodations alla Khao San Rd. Most take pride in touring Asia for several months on one or two thousand dollars US. One or two weeks in Thailand might equate to well less than 10,000 Baht.

So how many of the annual tourists are backpackers? I don't know, you tell me.

The next catagory of thrifty travellers would be non-Japanese Asians. How much do they spend per trip? Far less than a sanuker I would safely guess. How many of the annual tourists do they make up?

Business folks spend money because the corporation picks up the bill. How many folks do they make up?

Japanese tourists? Lets leave their sanukers out of this and include them with us. How many non-sanuk Japanes would that be?

Non-sanuker European or North American tourists make up the rest, outside of sanukers. How many of them?

Sanukers, how many of us (expats and travellers)? I've already made very conservative guesstemates as to the spending habbits of this group.

So all you statisticians out there, how about grinding groups by sector as well as region and coming up with something useful?

As for me, thank the big fella (GOD not Fatbastard laugh.gif" border="0 ), I don't need to relocate anytime soon. At least not until Taksin goes the way of Tak-sin.

As for those of you still in the LO(former)S, I will think about you, and hope for the best.

(DB, no shot at you. I consider you our resident rouge genius, not a real statistician. You do it for fun and intellectual curiosity, not political gain.)

The article refered to earlier in baronbonk is titled a folly for all.

From that art. the stats on in comming tourists by regions are:

Key tourist regions

Tourist from

Total Male Female Diff. % Single male

Europe

2,301,807 1,307,308 861,688 445,620 21

Americas

663,276 364,783 220,184 144,599 25

Japan

1,202,164 733,144 464,787 268,357 22

Korea

451,347 248,754 199,044 49,710 11

Middle East

182,408 141,546 58,977 82,569 41

Oceania (Aus/N.Z.)

378,782 214,379 167,085 47,294 12

Total

4,801,002 3,009,914 1,971,7651,038,149 21

That shows tha there are 21% more males comming than females.

The highest % in Europe is Belgium with 32%, Italy 29% and Germany 25%.

But as was pointed out statistics damn statistics.

But I suspect that if Thailand did stop sex tourism (if they could) the loss of tourist revenue would be greater than the 21% suggeste by these figures. Happy couples with children don't spend money like party people. Ask the Med. hot spots. Ibiza hates the noise but loves the money!

Archived