The clampdown begins!

Yehtmae

Mmmm, maybe but it's hardly something they will come out and say in public. Supposing the government at whatever level was inherently clean....nah, we might as well keep it realistic laugh.gif" border="0

I don't really know why I'm arguing this, it's gone way off topic and I don't have any real opinion either way about it so might as well stop. I guess you're right, which would indicate a sorry situation for Thailand.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: Iaxia ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Lord Toad:

[QB]

That shows tha there are 21% more males comming than females.

[QB]

The 21% is based on the total number of visitors. However about half a million are people coming on business/conventions most of whom will be male. If you subtract that from the total you get a 55/45 ratio. In addition there will be people coming from Laos, Nigeria and India who are on tourist visas but will be working illegally. Again they are not sanukers. Most travel destinations in Asia get more male than female so the number of true 100% sanukers, people who come just to have sex with prostitutes, is probably going to be a lot lower than that. Admitedly many of the business men probably sanuk on the side, but it isn't the bar scene that brings them here.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Snake Head ]

Returning to the figure of 21% more males than females.

The figure is very basic and if you notice only includes the major spending tourist nations/regions. It excludes ALL Of Africa and many nearby countries.

Also there are qute a number of single females who come......especailly back packers etc. As well as young groups who like to get out at night.

Also maybe the success of conventions has something to do with the nightlife!

However you look at these figures I think you have to conclude that Thia nightlife (in all it's varities including Discos etc) attact a significant percentage of all tourism, particlularly the maony spending tourists!

Statisitics can indeed be confusing. However, Based on personal observation there are a lot more people in Pat Pong for the night market than for the GoGo bars. Like maybe 10 fold.

And if you add up all the punters like me that will be going to NEP,Clinton, cowboy, soi 33 and the rest and multiply that number by 5, you won't make even a small dent in the total number of farangs staying in the tourist and luxury hotels and dining around town tonight. There are more farangs dining on just soi 24 tonight than customers hanging out at Nana Plaza, Clinton Plaza, cowboy and 33.

How many thousands of people are staying at the luxury hotels on the river and how many hundreds are going to Nana Plaza. There are only about 2500 girls in all Nana Plaza, including Dek-serves, What would your guess the girl/guy ration is at Nana tonight? 8/1?

Another example is to look around the airplanes in and out of here; Asian families, backpackers, couples and families far outnumber the few beady eyed single males on every airplane. I know. I actually counted them once out of boredom.

Another acid test, that I don't have the numbers to back me up with would be tourist buses. How many tourist buses were in action today in contrast to how many of us hit the bars tonight. Adjust for the overlap and, frankly, I think there is whole lot more tourists than GoGo bar flies.

Khuns Pasuk, Sungsidh and Nualnoi did an excellant job in "Guns, Girls, Gambling and Ganja" of analysing a whole bunch of scatterbrained and vague surveys, reports and statistics to reach the conclusion that 14% of Thailand GDP is based on the sex industry and that at least 90% of that is Thai driven and the very small remainder is farang. So, using their numbers, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1% of the GDP of Thailand is farang participation in the sex industry. Now subtract from that the farang expats that participate and would be here even if there wasn't a sex industry and the fact is that us perverts just aren't in a very good bargaining position.

Say it ain't so, but the farang sex industry just isn't that big a part of the Thai economy. And if we weren't around to give the place a bad name with the press, feminazis and religious groups there'd probably be a whole lot more tourists coming here every year. Please prove me wrong. Please!

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha

how are you going to pay a VoA fee in baht when the ForEx counters come after the Immigration desk at most POEs?

Most visitors arrive at Don Muang where there's a ForEx booth and an ATM that exchanges currency before the Immigration checkpoint. But for all the other POE's, I'm sure that Thai Immigration officials will be happy to accept dollars, pounds, ringgit, and other currency at "special" exchange rates.

This is just a wild guess, but maybe what's coming is a fee for "Visa on demand", say something like 200-500 baht. This would generate a lot of revenue and allow for some face saving by the Thai government, not to mention the lucrative possibilites it opens up for a whole cadre of immigration officials.

Alternately, since it's generally Thai females who have the most hassle getting a western visa, perhaps the Thai government will impose similar barriers to western females, and retain the status quo for farang males...wishful thinking!

Archived