Asoke Plaza Beer Bars Close

shotover

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Started the search for a new bar last night. There was some talk of resurecting Asok Plaza, but I told gf that this was never going to happen. After the initial shock of the events of Monday, followed by tearful depression, she seems to have got over it now.

We went to the Soi 22 Queens Park bar area for a look round. I have been there many times but gf had never been before. She seemed quite impressed and in my opinion it would be the best place to go. Soi 13 is doomed as we all know and I don't want to go to Soi 3, 1 or 4. The atmosphere (particularly Soi4) is too high pressure, imho.

Over the time the 22 area has been open, it seems to have had a gradually increasing volume of traffic. For people who like beer bars, the choice is limited and when 13 goes, will be even more so.

We will see what happens.

Khwai

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just to report that there are now maybe twenty small beer bars going strong at the Soi 23 end of the old Asok Plaza site. Some at least used to be on the section demolished last month. An amazing revival - but not likely to last too long.

GF wants to reopen her place down there, but I'm not sure about it for several reasons.

Khwai

was int here last week. It has been open a while but quite low key with soft lighting and low music. Now its full on with girls dragging you in before you get to cowboy. And the bars are underneath small marquee tent type things.

But i dont know if they were security or boyfriends or what but there were about 20 odd thai guys just sitting waiting down the right hand side.

kwai - you are right to have serious reservations about that.

I seem to remember a year or two ago that those bars were always there. Then, 1-2 months ago, walked by with a friend and noticed that they6 were mostly gone. Especially the roofs.

Just saw those little tent/awning things.

I don't think that this is the beginning of something new, though, rather, the final throes of something old.

I've just walked past those new bars and it looks like they maybe all going again. There was a policeman there and some guys welding the fence back up so no one could get in.

It's a shame as I quite liked it there. it was a bit more mellow.

A few weeks a go I saw a farang who looked like he was organising some builders who were doing some construction there. The girl I was chatting to said he was opening a bar. I said to her at the time that if that's what he's doing then he must be taking a gamble investing money into it.

Hi ed,

I haven't been down there but have heard several reports that the whole area has now closed. Don't know whether it's demolished or not.

In the event, I never did invest anything in it so no loss to us this time around. This has put me off the whole idea of GF opening another bar - plus the fact that it's time she gave up the bar business totally and found something else to do.

Better to stay just a customer.

Khwai

Archived