Asoke Plaza Beer Bars Close

shotover

Just posted this on another forum:

Shades of Soi 10. Many of you may already have seen or heard about this, but will pass it on anyway:

About 1 pm today (Bkk time) the lady I was with received a phone call from her friend at the Asoke Plaza beer bar complex, who told her that the bar complex would be closing "very soon". Went by there about 5 pm today, and saw a tin barrier fence erected around the entrances to the bar complex.

Talked with a bar owner inside the Plaza, who said she was told the 'court' (Justice Ministry?) had ordered the landlord (lady who collects rent from the barowners) to pay 800,000 baht before the bars could reopen.

There was an official looking Thai official in a tan uniform who seemed to be directing things, and about 2 dozen Thai men waiting near the entrance for further orders. Several policemen were also walking around talking to the barowners, but apparently sharing little useful information.

The barowner also had an official-looking document ordering the bars to close and move everything out by 24 Oct 2004! If translated accurately, don't know why they waited until 1 Dec to act, but TIT. It looked as though the owner of the B52 bar had already packed up his inventory and furnishings and left.

I'm guessing about 15-20 operating bars in this complex with maybe 150-200 'hostesses'. I heard some talking about walking to NEP or Soi Cowboy to look for jobs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike the Soi 10 closing, which seemed to come out of nowhere, hasn't this one been expected for some time?

Too bad. I always had a good time there. When staying at Tai Pan hotel, it was a more relaxed place to have a few beers than most Soi Cowboy bars. And of course, Lolita's used to be just around the corner. :) :)

My memory about girls taken from various beer bars is a little foggy, but I do recall one excellent experience with an older (30s) bg from one of the Asoke places.

My next trip is not until the spring. Any suggestions for area that offers multiple beer bar experience in BKK, like the late but great Clinton Plaza, Soi 10, and now Asoke Plaza?

Khun D from Barbie bar got out while the going was good. I recall when they opened there but have not been in any for a while, but had many good/sad nights in Barbie bar siam smile and what was the one at the end? Yings corner. They had a massage bar there for a while, one of the girls from there went on to open her own bar in soi 6. I think it's just as well they went now as they have become a bit of an eyesore and it's best days are past.Anyone remember the thai boxing there?-fucking rubbish ::Better make the most of WS while that's still around-peter

Archived