Asoke Plaza Beer Bars Close

shotover

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too far away from Finland maybe but it's just a step away when you're there. Don't forget sukhumvit plaza, a dead loss if ever there was one, no atmosphere. Why do they always have to stick those bloody pool tables in every bar nowadays, they should all be put on the tip.Then there is the new area whats it called down the end of 22 on the left just before the turn into 24. Spent an amusing half hour in a soi zero bar on my own, it was very depressing even for someone used to sitting in bars as the sole customer.The bar area near thermae is still going, the only place I rang the bell last trip- 4 PM, well they did play thai music and it was fun.The famous Khun D from Barbie bar still has a bar in queens park plaza, sugar shack at the end is a good bar if you can be arsed to walk the 50 yards from the road-peter

In the last year, the girls working in the corner bars became really aggressive, one could not walk past the corner without several of the girls grabbing onto your arm and trying to pull you into one of their bars; sometimes it was fun, sometimes not. I thing the new subway entrance tunnel under Asok, which lets out close to Soi Cowboy, probably drained off most of the "impulse" customers. Its' been common knowledge that the place was closing, most of the sharper girls have been long gone.

Five years from now, that whole area will probably be unrecognizable from what it is now, perhaps even Soi Cowboy.

David

keith doug said:

. i mean before u enter soicowboy there is a big complex of bars that goes right back ,,,its opposite a kinda of beer garden

Hi kd,

I think what you are talking about has long gone. It was an extension of Asok Plaza that fronted onto Soi 23, more or less opposite the International Beer House - a German beer garden/restaurant also now closed. The whole area on Soi 23 was demolished many months ago leaving only a group of bars on the corner of Suk and Soi 21.

Khwai

It can't close soon enuff. I agree with those old hands who think that that shitty little bar area has been the source of the increased crackdown in the nightlife areas. I mean, look at it -- arguably the most expensive real estate and the highest profile intersection in Bangkok and one cannot walk by there without (as DDDave said) being hustled at any time of the day. Just bad news all around in a place where all things are possible, but only if it is kept quiet.

Cheers,

SD

I was told the corrugated iron went down last night around 10 PM, and customers were being served, but some of the barowners carried out their more valuable assets (full liquor bottles and stereo equipment) after midnight fearing a repeat of the Soi 10 destruction.

Apparently at least a temporary arrangement has been made as the bars are set to open again tonight. We'll see for how long.

Archived