Lower Suk to Khao San: Most Painless Route?

Fiery Jack

basically I dont think there is an easy way to get to KSR from SUk. As someone said the cheapest and it tales about 20mins is to go by the boat on the Klong. It takes you past Bobae Tower,and if you dont want to walk from there you could get a tuktuk or taxi.

Other new refreshing ways might be to run, jog, cycle, powerwalk it, piggyback... :D

Only problem with this way is that the sweat smell might repel those French girls, but then again they are used to French men so they might not notice the smell... :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
take expressway at Suk Soi 1 northbound; follow sign Victory monument and later Dao Khanong/Bang Na. take exit Yommarat, follow Lan Luang road into Rachadamnoen and turn right to Khao San.

20 minutes from Suk Soi 1!

If driving, this is the way I'd go *EXCEPT* instead of going up Lan Luang, I would go straight ahead at the Yommarat intersection and stright up Phitsanulok Road. Then left into Samsen Road which runs into Chakraphong and you end up at the other end of Khao San. (Gulliver's End).

Lan Luang gets some shocking traffic at certain times of day, and the right turn from Rachadamnoen into Th. Tanao always seems to have a red light / and or heaps of traffic blocking the road so you can't turn into it even if the lights are green.

I used to go from Sukhumwit by taxi often when I worked in the Banglamphu area. I started off going up Lan Luang, but by going straight ahead onto Phitsanulok I reckon I saved 10-20 minutes each time.

So Thai taxi drivers aren't averse to a passenger enjoying a "road soda" or two in the back seat whilst in transit? That's interesting. Suppose they wouldn't mind. A lot of them are half-pissed themselves.

No question about it. I was leaving my hotel in Patong for the airport last summer, when my buddy flagged the limo down from an open air bar at the corner of the beach road. Told us to hang on a minute then handed me a vodka soda, in a large styrofoam cup, for the ride. He said it was an eight count pour with a little extra splash. Lasted me right up until boarding the flight at the jetway. :drunk:

Nice. :applause: I am astounded that I have never done or thought about having a taxi tipple myself. :drunk: One to add to the list of "things to do" when I'm in BKK in September. :beer:

As the sign over that "drive thru" liquor store in Texas says, "For the Alcoholic on the Go!" :up:

jack :help:

You'll just find the Heffalumps and their Jeremys whining away with their rising inflections.

What's a "Jeremy?" :dunno:

Is that cockney rhyming slang???

No - my shorthand for the fisherman's pants uniformed 'travellers'. Ask them "..and how long have you been on holiday?" and watch them splutter.

"No...we're travelling"

You can have that classic Khao San Road conversation:

"I'm cool, coz I've travelled 'round Thailand on 5 baht and 3 grains of rice a day."

"Yeah, but I'm cooler, man, coz I travelled 'round Thailand on 3 baht and 2 grains of rice a day."

Backpacking's definitely changed in the last 10 years though since I did my "big trip".

It's so bloody easy for them now. And they don't want to EXPERIENCE a country anymore. They're stamp collectors - as long as they've got the stamp in their passport they can say "been there, done that, got the (Red Bull/Same Same But Different / Chang) t-shirt.

They come to Thailand, head to Koh Tao or Koh Phanghan (Samui's too expensive for most of them now) and then they piss off. Some of them manage to get up to Chiang Mai and do a trek (and then come back and whinge about "how hard" the trek was).

They don't like spicy food and sit there on Khao San Road eating chicken sandwiches and fries and drinking Chang or Leo beer.

You used to have to "work" to be a backpacker - catch local buses and trains, suffer mechanical breakdowns etc. etc. Now they just fly. Check in for any Air Asia flight and there's hordes of backpackers checking in too.

Yep - the majority of backpackers really experience a country these days, don't they?

It's just too damn easy for Generation Y.

Moo Noi (Gen X'er!)

(Remembering what "travel" used to be like!)

Agree, Thailand is easy. I went to India 6 years ago, and I think I got a bit of taste of more difficult travelling but very enjoyable. No lonely Planet or anything. Much more fun...

Just going to a train station in India and getting on 3rd class carriage, stuck in there like sardines. Going15 hours without a seat. Or the 42 hour train journey from Bombay to Varanasi...amazing rail travel in India...

I really dont see the attraction of sitting all day in a guest house on KSR watching pirate movies. Dont these people know that there is a big big city out there to be explored?

KSR is good for some stuff. I like the restaurant Tomyamkung...

Also there are many nice Thai girls around, brick bar, Buddy Bar...and some of them Daddies girls...Lots of them are very curious about farangs.

Yep - Tom Yam Kung is a great place to eat, that's for sure.

And if you want eye candy, just head to Susie Pub... full of Thammasat Students pissed off their heads. 50% of them won't give you the time of day, 45% are too pissed to give you the time of day, and 5% of them will happily talk and flirt.

Very young crowd though.

Deep is another cool pub, so is Bangkok Bar as is Molly Bar.

Phra Athit Road is great if you're an arty type or want to meet an arty type. Some cool little hang-outs there.

I don't like Khao San itself, but there's some very cool venues around there these days.

Gotta not mind being packed in like Sardines though - it manically busy in these places.

Bit like an Indian train!

Archived