Do bargirls have a choice? Reprise

walletss

gummigut said:

I have contempt for affirmative action. I think it's lived long past its usefulness.

If the educational system and support structure were in place to give everyone a semi-decent education (including the opportunities avialable - which you made an excellent point about Thai women not knowing their opportunities) the need for affirmative action would be non-existent.

<<burp>>

I think the intent of Affirmative action is still relevant and the laws as they exist need to be modified however given the political nature of the topic, the evident current polarization of Americans on almost every political issue and the lack of a viable replacement option, I can't support the eradication of the laws.

Remember when the Bush administration attempted to make Affirmative Action a campaign issue but the Courts nipped any political momentum in the bud with their support of the admisssions policy at the University of M? Very polarizing issue in the States but no one has a suggestion for a better policy.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJsushi,

Going to college is a choice. You had the option of not going to college and doing something else. You just refused to recognized it because you refused to look out of your box. You were so locked in and nothing was going to change your mind because in your mind they were not choices but for others they do represent choices whether you recognize them or not. Your life was programmed for you (school mentors, peers, family) that school was the way to go. That might be fine for you but not for others.

What determines whether a girl becomes a BG or not is influenced by the same conditions and factors as you deciding to go to college. They don't see it as a choice to be made because the proper factor was not introduced into the equation.

Your argument would only hold water if a 100% of that given population does the same thing. But that is never the case as people do make different decsions even when faced with the same circumstances or had the benefit of other factors helping them decide and thus altering a different course of action or choice.

People making different choices in light of identical circumstances or influencing ones is the difference between animals and humans............

So you did choose to go to college as do the vast majority of college prep students. But it is never a 100%.....

Same same with the factors that drive women into the BG business. It is never a 100% cause-effect equation and that is a good thing for humanity....

Cardinalblue

cardinalblue said:

JJsushi,

Going to college is a choice. You had the option of not going to college and doing something else. You just refused to recognized it because you refused to look out of your box. You were so locked in and nothing was going to change your mind because in your mind they were not choices but for others they do represent choices whether you recognize them or not. Your life was programmed for you (school mentors, peers, family) that school was the way to go. That might be fine for you but not for others.

What determines whether a girl becomes a BG or not is influenced by the same conditions and factors as you deciding to go to college. They don't see it as a choice to be made because the proper factor was not introduced into the equation.

Your argument would only hold water if a 100% of that given population does the same thing. But that is never the case as people do make different decsions even when faced with the same circumstances or had the benefit of other factors helping them decide and thus altering a different course of action or choice.

People making different choices in light of identical circumstances or influencing ones is the difference between animals and humans............

So you did choose to go to college as do the vast majority of college prep students. But it is never a 100%.....

Same same with the factors that drive women into the BG business. It is never a 100% cause-effect equation and that is a good thing for humanity....

Cardinalblue

You are going to have to re-clarify your position a little because I have read your post 3x and I really don't know what your argument is regarding choices or programming, it seems a bit muddled or it is more than likely my brain is tired at the moment.

"...Your argument would only hold water if a 100% of that given population does the same thing..."

O.k. what about a family where all the girls work in bars? I know many families where all the sisters, and some cousins all work bar. So using that as a sample population, now 100% have made the decision to enter into P4P.

Frankly, The girls I know well who enter P4P and stay there are generally different in nature than girls who stay for a few months and leave. I know a few girls who worked the system, got an education or a shop whatever, and still "dabble" when they need extra money, or go back into it because it pays better.

I do believe affirmative action was relevant in the first place. I think the same thing would have happened if affirmative action wasn't in place, would have just taken longer.

jj:

How is affirmative action relevant today? The arguments for black americans have tons of pros and cons. That's not clear cut. The black middle class is here to stay. I say let the lower class (blacks, whites, hispanics, whatever) sink or swim on their own merits. Rather than affirmative action (and the gov't spending money to print crap in every language under the sun), I believe we should be spending more money on education.

Asians? Well if you want to talk about admissions to college, then Asians are actually hurt by affirmative action.

Women? Strong enough already and can/will use courts when necessary.

Why is it still relevant today?

<<burp>>

Archived