Do bargirls have a choice? Reprise

walletss

I know this has been discussed before but I was chatting to a Thai friend who works as a secretary in Bangkok for an international firm.

We got talking about bargirls in Pattaya and the lifestyle they choose.

When I raised the point that they maybe most don?t have much choice, she scoffed at my suggestion.

According to her factories in the provinces are screaming out for workers. There is a significant shortage of willing labor.

She claims that sometimes she goes out with her boyfriend to a nightspot where there are freelancers on the premises. As soon as their Farang has his back turned they start shooting off their mouth to her about how much they can earn from a Farang and how much better it is than working in a factory

My friend claims that the ?no choice factor? is something they deliberately throw up to us to gain sympathy.

What do you guys think?

Is my friend right?

Do you support her theory that these ladies could be working in factory jobs if they chose to?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I met one ex-factory BG on Soi 4. She used to work at a hard drive assembly plant. She loved working there. She had a good wage plus benefits. However the factory closed throwing her out of work (probably moved to China). She could not find another factory job that paid anywhere near as much money.

The good paying factory jobs are leaving Thailand at warp speed. :nono:

Define choice.

On one end of the scale you could choose P or starving to death, on the other scale between drinking champaign every day or not P.

Both are choices, and I'm sure both are reasons for some to choose from.

In Thailand I guess the choices are between those two extremes.

They both are choices nevertheless, so there is allways a choice.

" The good paying factory jobs are leaving Thailand at warp speed".

The next time I talk to my Thai friend I will grill her on this.

She claims that there are plenty of factory jobs that pay enough to survive.

I am not in a position to know really so I don't know what to think when a bg tells me that she doesn't like working in a bar in Pattaya but can't find other work. Maybe it's a standard line to get a bigger donation from you.

there are plenty of jobs, but th econditions and quality there are not grea.

lets put it this way, you are offered a job cleaning streets, or garbage, pays just above survival line, in order to survive you need to live in a small room with 5 others.

OR

You could sell out to big business, get a job in advertising selling lies to the world and it pays you $100 000 a year

Which would you take?

DOG

>She claims that there are plenty of factory jobs that pay enough to survive

To survive???

My gf worked in a textile factory for a riduclous daily salary, she was 14 and underpaid (would not dare to ask her how much exactly right now). They got free meal from chicken feet and other waste even thais find disgusting. She used to live of rice and leaves, but this food???

Sure she had a choice, as a maid earning 5k baht with a room, TV and decent food.....working from 6 am to 08 pm....yes, had some free time in the afternoon though....

Apart from the financial issue there's also the personality issue. Some type of characters don't match with a certain job and then you have an easy choice.

And then there are those who 'play the game' for a short period of time to allow themselves to improve their life in a 'more' respectful way and other who get stuck to it, peers, friends etc.

I know this girl who worked in a bar for nearly a year and managed to educate herself (got a decent massage job at some spa resort, no sex afaik) and doesn't regret her past one bit. Just did what she felt as a necessity in order to better herself and is living happily now with a job she worked hard for and deserves. And she's damn proud too.

Must say though that I don't know many girls who're capable of doing the same.

Archived