Silver Membership upgrade and other changes

khunsanuk

Hi,

It seems there is a lot of confusion on what is going on here at the moment, as well as what exactly one gets when upgrading to Silver Membership. Too many posts scattered over several different threads, so let me try to clear things up.

Silver Membership upgrade

First of all, nothing has changed for guests (i.e. unregistered users); registered users have a bit more access to areas on the site now though, including most of the nightlife section, and of course access to the main forum in the photo gallery.

So, what do you get for upgrading to Silver Membership?

• full access to the site (incl. articles and columns)
  • full access to the photo gallery
  • full access to the archives (185,000+ posts)
  • ability to change your user title
  • option to host your avatar on our server (just email me the pic)

I am currently looking into adding some more features to this, including:

• ability to post your pictures inside a post on the board
  • ability to add a graphical sigfile
  • allowing you to switch of the sidebar
  • access to a review system

And of course I am open to suggestions, so if there is something you would really like to see added to this list, then please tell me!

Contests

I intend to start running some more contests on here, both writing as photo contests.

My main 'problem' at the moment is in how to get prizes to those who cannot make it here. Free membership upgrades are easy obviously and the cash prizes should be doable as well, but anything physical might be more of a problem.

Anyway, I will try to put up the rules for the first photo contest later today.

Oh, contests will be open to all registered users of course.

Anonymous moderation

It seems this too is causing some confusion. To explain...

The main reason we have changed to Anonymous Moderation was NOT because the Moderators were doing a bad job, far from it. However, by being so easily recognizable it made it very difficult for them to partake in any of the discussions, as most people saw the 'badge', not the person behind it.

I think there was even some animosity (from a few) towards Mods for enforcing the rules, which really is rather sad, especially in a community like this where people have often known each other for quite some time.

Furthermore, the amount of posts is quite a bit lower than it used to be which meant that I no longer needed 20+ Moderators. This may change in the future though if posts are picking up again, at which time there is a good chance I would call upon those who have served me and this board well in the past.

So, there are still Moderators and they will still be enforcing the rules. They will just do it from behind the scenes.

Feedback

Finally, this site / board is here for you. I am doing my best to make it as enjoyable for all to use, but I am not psychic so if there is anything you would like to see changed / added, please by all means tell me.

Sanuk!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Quick update. Silver Members can now enter pictures into their posts using the image tag. I have also found a hack which displays a button on the new post / reply screen which will allow you to display a popup of your photos to be inserted into the post.

Unfortunately I am having some difficulty to get this working properly.

Sanuk!

KS,

Great Feature !

Sure that its working ? I get this :

""SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /export/data1/vhosts/board64.nanaplaza.com/httpdocs/mysql.inc.php on line 160

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /export/data1/vhosts/board64.nanaplaza.com/httpdocs/mysql.inc.php on line 133

Instant PhotoPost

You have no images in your PhotoPost gallery.

close window ""

Or must I upload the pics into my PhotoPost gallery first ? and if yes, where do I find this ?

TIA.

BB

Hi,

"Sure that its working ?"

Uh... maybe that is why I posted : "Unfortunately I am having some difficulty to get this working properly." :)

Not really sure what is causing the problem yet, waiting for some feedback from the dev board. Doubt it'll be fixed until after Xmas though.

For the time being I am afraid we'll have to use the image tag.

"Or must I upload the pics into my PhotoPost gallery first ?"

In order to use the My Photos to add pics to your posts, yes the pictures need to be uploaded to the gallery. In this case this is not the error though.

" and if yes, where do I find this ? "

Top right of any page in the photo gallery, a link called 'Upload Photos'.

Sanuk!

BB - I am barely able to use my computer but I was able to insert a photo into a post from the gallery. I updoaded the photo into the gallery then opened the gallery page copied the page address (URL?) and then inserted it into the post by clicking "URL" in the "Instant UBB Code" box.

Maybe you know how to do all this already but I consider it to be a great accomplishment for someone like me. :grinyes::applause::grinyes::applause::grinyes:

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Quick update. Silver Members can now enter pictures into their posts using the image tag. I have also found a hack which displays a button on the new post / reply screen which will allow you to display a popup of your photos to be inserted into the post.

Unfortunately I am having some difficulty to get this working properly.

Sanuk!

KS,

Many thanks for the new capability to add pics in one's posts, once the inevitable bugs are worked out I suspect many more will be upgrading to Silver. This is a nice Christmas present to the board. ::

You asked for feedback, perhaps off topic but another possibility for the board that may not only help promote the board, add new life and maybe new members, but also bring in profits as well:

Back in the mid-90's there was a board hosted in Ft Lauderdale beach I belonged to which essentially revolved around a weekly event, a live web cast Bikini contest (thongs really, sometimes dental floss it seemed :o ), most of the contestants each week were local university girls.

The technology wasn't as mature back then as it is now, however we all could see and hear the contest as it was happening. There was a chat board set up so we could all communicate with each other during the contest. The girls (contestants) could see our chat posts during the contest and they'd take turns on a PC set up at the beach side bar where it was held answering some of our questions and comments. Us board members also were the ones who voted on who the winners were. It was quite fun and the girls had a lot of fun too. There were quite a few members from all over the world.

The sponsors paid for everything up front (equipment, software, prizes for the girls) and relied upon advertising to make it profitable. Sadly after trying for awhile not enough advertisers came through and they gave up. They refused to consider charging us members a monthly fee to keep it going however I believe most of us would have gladly paid to keep it going - but they just shut it down and we were all cut off, really a sad shock at the time.

Might be a possible thing to consider, maybe for Silver Plus members or something, a weekly Nanaplaza Bikini contest say in Gullivers, or rotating bars with Chula girls, etc as contestants. Might be good publicity for the bars, good money for the girls (coming out of our fees), and a potential source of profit and promotion for the board. I think the quality of the video would have to be pretty good and would be nice to able to capture stills that we could paste in subsequent posts later also. I think it would also be a lot of work though so would really have to look at whether there'd be enough interest to make it worthwhile. Even though they?d be wearing Bikini?s might also have to consider whether the current Thailiban would approve (could be some of the naughtier girls might flash us now and then :devil:).

Anyway, just another thought. :):snowman::wave::snowman:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, very interesting indeed. Unfortunately I can see at least one big problem, time. With a full-time job, a marriage and this board I do not have the time to organize stuff like this (I also suck at it).

If someone here on the ground is willing to take care of all the organizing though, I am certain we could come to some kind of arrangment.

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, very interesting indeed. Unfortunately I can see at least one big problem, time. With a full-time job, a marriage and this board I do not have the time to organize stuff like this (I also suck at it).

If someone here on the ground is willing to take care of all the organizing though, I am certain we could come to some kind of arrangment.

Sanuk!

KS,

You're right about the time, the sponsors of that Ft Lauderdale Bikini contests were actually a small company, there were about 3-4 employees (partners). During the contests all were there, they had 2 or 3 cameras going during the events as well. If I recall the bars actually paid them a small fee for the privilege of holding the bikini contests there (for the publicity and promotion).

I'm a techie vice a business person but off hand would guess you'd need at least a few hundred bucks US for each event, enough to pay the girls some decent prizes, pay a nice salary to those helping with the cameras and organizing (could be a nice source of extra income for some expats there) and still leave some profits for the board. So there'd have to be enough interest such that the fees could be kept reasonable yet still give all involved a profit. I think if it got going that other things could grow from it (like new and increased advertising on the board, and maybe new possibilities could grow from the relationships with the bars and clubs, etc).

I do wish I were there on the ground to help, maybe I'd be passing out flyers and posting handbills at Chula! :o

Archived