meaning of sanuk

iuytrede

so we want this board to be more sanuk...

First time I thought my girl had a weird idea of sanuk was when she preferred the non-a/c bus to the skytrain during rush-hours because the bus was sanuk.

Second time was when her reaction to the killings at Takbai was "Sanuk! Sanuk!"

The same reaction was elicited by the American basket-ball players beating each other up and by TV pictures of a deadly train wreck in India.

Maybe we should put the front page pictures of Thai Rath into the photo section to make this board more sanuk?

Not sure if this is a question of language (what does sanuk mean?) or of Thai mentality, or do I just have a weird gf (I know this, you don't have to tell me)

I'll stick my neck out here and say that 'sanuk' is a very flexible term that can mean different things to different people. An older Thai might say it means compatible, pleasurable, enjoyable, pleasant. Most falang probably think it means 'fun'. Sounds like your girlfriend sees it as 'cool'. :)

HT, i would never dare to translate sanuk into english! is it a concept, a lifestyle, a significant part of thai culture? as longer as i know Thailand as more i learn that so many things are sanuk! even things that i do not classify as fun at all, the thais think are sanuk!

today I heard gf say "Sanuk!" more than once as she was glued to the TV and kept me informed of events in Phuket, India, Sri Lanka and the Maledives.

It happens that we were planning to travel to all these places, but now she doesn't want to go there anymore. "I don't want to go to a place where many people have died."

I agree with this - but then why is all this sanuk???

Archived