New years cancelled

whosyourdaddy

They could market it properly and turn events and parties into charity or disaster relief fundraisers

--------------------

Thanks, JJ, I think here, you have it right. But those guys who believe Thailand owes them "their" sanook New year public celebration , when the outpouring of grief is so present and felt by so many.......Oh, well....... ::

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MM - most of the Thais I know, and this is in Business and family, all celebrate Western New Year.

It is a time when they buy presents for families, for business etc. It is a strong part of the calander for family and business and is "Very" thai in this tradition, which is not a western one of giving presens for NEW YEAR 9As oppossed to Christmas)

Suggest you add it to your Thai Heart.

I also agree the New Year would be a good time to collec, however I doubt, seeing how much is being given in my neck of woods, that they will have anything left.

DOG

Quote:

"Really?

Are you Chinese?

Are you Thai?

If not, why would you follow where you are neither wanted nor accepted? "

I find this an odd posting. Of the 3 New Years, I have for the last 3 and 1/2 decades followed the New Years held in the spring. I have always held the Chinese New Year in second place and participate very rarely in the traditional western New Years.

As far as "why would you follow where you are neither wanted nor accepted?", I find to be a dumb statement. You do not know me so there is no way you could make such a statement. I have always been accepted by people at all 3 types of New Year celebtations, but I feel more comfortable and have a better time with the New Years celebration in the spring followed in descending order, the Chinese New Years.

I hope your comments are not based on your own personal experiences.

The Thai New Years is known thru out the world and is an event many falangs are welcomed to participate in. If you haven't tried it yet, you should.

From The Nation and Post

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2004/12/29/national/index.php?news=national_15918374.html

They confirm the big events are cancelled or turned into memorial events but bars, beergardens etc will remain open but with muted music. Stores doing promotions for New Year are scaling them back.

Not sure if anyone has posted this up before - but somebody somewhere should get the boot for this

" Pravit Janyasittikul, vice-president of marketing at Central Pattana Plc, the operator of Central World Plaza, said the company had called off its Bangkok Countdown 2005 New Year event. Instead, it has launched a relief programme called the ''Biggest Wave of Your Generosity'', which is now accepting donations."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29Dec2004_biz55.php

I didnt notice it until it was pointed out but given the sensitivity of the situation this should have been checked, re-checked and checked again before announcing it.

Just read this in the latest Scuttlebutt:

As a result of this disaster, it seems that the bars are likely to be closed for a few days, probably 3 days, and New Year?s Eve celebrations have been cancelled, with the 6 am closing order rescinded. I saw a suggestion that New Years Eve should be turned into a mass fund raising night. Not a bad idea, alas I think that maybe a little A level for this government!

Can anyone, especially bar-owners or guys involved in the entertainment biz, confirm this? Has the 6am closing order been really officially revoked?

Archived