Thai government covering up real death toll?

khunsanuk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in another thread i wrote that the best estimates i know are in the magnitude of 20 000 dead for Phuket and Phanga (not all of Thailand), half or more are foreigners (it has been impossible to distinguish the race of the rotting corpses for quite a while).

This is the estimate of German rescue teams in this area. These estimates are compatible with what FOW has seen.

The government figures (roughly 5000 dead and 5000 missing) add up to 10 000, if the real figure is 20 000 this would mean that the Thai government is surprisingly honest

There may be more govnmt-controlled spin, lies, for thai corpses, but i doubt that at the end, there won't be a precise enough count of tourists who never made it back home.

I also really doubt that this question of under-reporting all deads will be put to rest by govnmt spin. Can a thai govnmt do what the Myanmar junta does, "there it is, 55 dead, thanks for your concern"?

Interestingly, when a mate of mine calledd me today to talk about this, I was in a meeting,

I hang up, and then asked my Thai chap who works with me and is very well conected if he thought the real number cuold be higher.

He thought it would be, maybe not for the same reasons, his being the missing are all dead,

However how can you hide tourist's the embassies would now very quick from relatives that their kids are not home etc.

I am slowly coming around to the idea maybe more are dead than is being said

DOG

They are worried about the affect on tourism in the area.

Also, I'm surprised because I'd expect them to be overstating their numbers in order to qualify for more foreign aid.

Also, has anybody else seen the story about Thai's claiming that bodies are their relatives so that they can get money from the government? Presumably this would then mean those bodies are then burnt thus preventing the legitimate relatives a chance to claim the bodies.

Off subject but sidestory that is related...

A Swiss man and his wife told me this story and up to you if you think its true but the couple seemed sincere and a bit shocked but it all ...

They were standing safely somewhere in Patong after the waves had receeded-havoc ensued.

The husband turns to his wife and says "hey look there are two men dressed up as Thai policeman robbing that jewelry store right over THERE. Thai person standing near them that speaks English turns and says"no thats two real policeman robbing the store and ont look if you want to stay out of jail"

Good and bad everywhere-Many Thais and Farangs were heroes( FlyW and crew :))some were not... ::

Yes there were many reports of looting when the Tsuanmi first happened. There were apparently people going thru all the vacant hotel rooms looking for money and posessions and you can bet that those bodies that had items of jewellery on them were also robbed too.

limbo said:

What would the govnmt gain by downplaying the number?

Same question for SARS, Chicken flu: scared loosing votes....

Companies just do the same, we had several bad years in our industry, first bad year lost 10 million USD.

The board asked the finance people to come out with our reserves. We asked them if they wanted to show a small profit or a small loss. Their request was to see a small profit, so we put 0.5 million profit on the P&L sheet.

Yep, we performed well in that bad year compared to the competition.

Lies, lies and lies.

Do you think anyone would doubt our figures ::

Archived