Why Would Thais do this to a Thai?

Torneyboy

Got woken up this morning by a phone call from a Thai girl in tears calling from Sydney Aiport.

Just back from a three week holiday to bangkok.

Some background,this girl is 27 and has been sponsored by a hair salon in china town Sydney for the last year...visa expires on Friday.

Papers were to be in place for another year so she can work and pay a loan of some 600k THB she has in Bangkok.

Called the sponsor (she lives in the apartment with the Falang/Thai couple)..the Thai lady that owns the salon told her she is no longer required as she has a new employee.

This girl is at the airport with AUD50 to her name ,nowhere to sleep tonight and no job...and now no visa.

Why not tell her before she went back that she had better make other arrangements for a job/visa as they can not help anymore?

So we are now having half a day off work while we pick up her stuff from the sponsors unit and (tell them we are sending her back to BKK..lie nbr one)

Take her to our home (one of our Thai students that lives with us is in BKK till the 28th...so we have a spare bed for her.

She wants to work for one more year to earn enough to pay her debts and some extra cash to live in Bkk.

She can only stay with us a short while ...these people..well the Thai lady that is ....is very very bad(my wife says this)only paid the girl AUD 35 for a ten hour day!

Will tell DIMA she is here without a valid visa.

She can get plenty of work as she is very good..my concern is DIMA (immigration) knocking on my door looking for her.

We will have to say we have no idea(another lie)..i am getting in a bit deep over this.

My wife said she could work for her in her restaurant for a while..i said no!..lets step back from this..happy to help her get on her feet but i do not want any trouble with immigration for us.

We help a number of Thai students but enough is enough.

I don't understand what has gone wrong here...they were "friends".

I feel so sorry for her...about to land in sunny Sydney,fifty dollars in her pocket,to be met by friends and taken to her home....and off to work(the Thai lady would make her go straight to work i am sure).

But no.....nobody to meet her,calls and told does not hve a job/sponsor...stabbed in the back by the Thai salon owners.

This girl is a good worker and very good at her job..now forced underground by a Thai lady that appears to have a heart of stone.

So off we go now to sort this mess out somehow...

How would you feel if in her situation... ::

TB,

As ND has said, I'm sure there must be legal recourse in the event of a sponsor 'bailing out' at the last minute !

I can relate to your position though - you dont want to become the last resort for every Thai who finds themselves stranded at the airport.

Good luck,

Artie

Hi TB,

I had a few good and bad experiences helping other Thais and all I can say is that ones must get the stories straight for for some reasons, most Thais seem to have stories. That being said, students also have stories.

I have seen the Thais taking advantage of other Thais for the sake of "money", nothing else. Money is the name of the game and I am not proud of it. :(

However, kindness does go a long way as long as some Thais do NOT consider it weakness. In my life time, I have had more help from other nationalities than from the Thais, perhaps it could be because I have spent most of my life outside Thailand.

Use your own judgement and when it comes to dealing with some Thais, certain logics do NOT apply.

Jasmine

Nervous_Dog said:

If she was here on a valid visa then tell the Soc Sec Dept that she had been under paid and claim back wages.

Even illegal immigrants can claim this successfully in Australia

DOG

Hi...yeah i thought of that as revenge ...but they would grab her for that as well.

Not pay tax etc etc ...anyway we both know there is no paperwork..she does not exist.

jasmine said:

Hi TB,

I had a few good and bad experiences helping other Thais and all I can say is that ones must get the stories straight for for some reasons, most Thais seem to have stories. That being said, students also have stories.

I have seen the Thais taking advantage of other Thais for the sake of "money", nothing else. Money is the name of the game and I am not proud of it. :(

However, kindness does go a long way as long as some Thais do NOT consider it weakness. In my life time, I have had more help from other nationalities than from the Thais, perhaps it could be because I have spent most of my life outside Thailand.

Use your own judgement and when it comes to dealing with some Thais, certain logics do NOT apply.

Jasmine

Yes i understand.

Not so much the money ..as she would go to clients homes at night..(after a long day) and cut and do make up..nails etc

Better money than the day job.

I only met her twice once at the shop and when she stayed overnight at our house to do our hair and makeup etc for our wedding vow renewal in October.(my wife new her..she knows everyone!!!)

True to say the owners underpaid her and overworked her..but she was happy..making more money than she could in BKK.

Now she is in trouble.

We talked to my wifes sister today (owns a migration office in Sydney)...told us to tell her to go back to Thailand!!!..better for her later,rather than have a stamp in her passport never to return of not for five years etc etc.

Staying with us tonight and maybe a week...thats it i said.

She wants to work here for a year to get some cash to pay off her debt....but if gets caught..thats it for her.

Being in the travel business i can give her a one way ticket to BKK...not much cost to me...but still a cost.

Then she can not pay her debts...and so we go around again and again.

A mess..she is in tears and scared.

Archived