Speaking Broken English

gummigut

Just to add some clarification to the question. I'm not talking about Thai/English where you mix both languages.

Broken English: Dropping indefinite and definite articles (a, an, the, ...). Dropping prepositions (to, on, under). Dropping verb tenses (Yesterday I drink two can pepsi). Repeating adverbs (I go slow slow too much). Crap like that.

Some people are saying it depends on the situation.

Okay, how about 1) where you really don't know the person and 2) where you are in a long term relationship with a Thai SO.

Thanks!

<<burp>>

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G,

I speak broken English like you describe all the time when dealing with the locals everywhere is SE Asia except the Philippines and Singapore. Unless I'm speaking to a Doctor or similarly educated person. Makes it easier to be understood for sure. I'm trying to remember to speak proper English with the wife, but sometimes revert to habit.

Ranger

gummigut said:

Okay, how about 1) where you really don't know the person and 2) where you are in a long term relationship with a Thai SO.

1) I just want to communicate with this person. I'll use pretty much whatever means I must use.

2) GF: I usually speak in non-broken English with her. Sometimes, when I am trying to develop a more complex concept, I don't want the language to get in the way of the idea. In that case, I might simplify the vocab a bit.

3) Internet: speak short words, sentences. Just want idea. Not enough time, speed to do all. Worst broken here.

KS: "There is no point in using broken English, it helps no one."

Hope that last one doesn't inhibit anybody using the 'net today :)

And Suadum: "YOU'RE RIGHT. THIS PROBABLY DOESN'T HELP AND MAKES ONE LOOK LIKE A RAVING LUNATIC."

BTW, I've always considered the way we interpret CAPS on the 'net as shouting to be a rather neat twist by our brains. In effect, we are deaf on the 'net and we substitute the sense of sight for the sense of hearing. I'm sure people with other sense deprivations have their tricks also.

I normally respond according to the situation. If it appears that a Thai wants to TRY speaking English to me because they want to practice their English, I will put up with their bad English and keep my vocabulary simple but my sentence structure correct.

If I realise they are nervous or embarrassed about using English, I will respond in Thai. That gives them the option of choosing to continue speaking English or switching over to Thai.

It is surprising how poor even most Thai university grads' English is. Except for the English majors and minors, most cannot carry on even a very basic conversation. The older they are, the more this is evident. Younger Thais' English is much better nowadays, since they watch a lot of films in English on cable TV. Of course, the BGs probably grew up in a remote village which may not even have had electricity!

I understand the arguments against using broken English that other posters mentioned, but I disagree.

There is a reason Thais speak what we perceive as "broken" English. It's not that they are bad learners but the structure of Thai language makes it hard to learn "proper" English, just like the structure of English makes it hard (or, some would say impossible) for us English speakers to naturally roll off sentences like, "Tong reep glap pai riak hai maa bok." Maybe the Dutch guys can learn to speak like that :: but I sure can't.

By speaking to BGs I've noticed that I can't understand much that the new ones say, but the ones who have been around for a few months I can usually understand well and even have a modicum of conversation with. Took me a while to figure out why that is: One, they don't speak 100 miles an hour. Two, they use a simplified vocabulary. Three, they don't use many of the expressions and particless that pepper normal Thai speech.

Well, guess what? I bet that sounds like "broken Thai" to the Thais. And I'm grateful for their broken Thai! I don't believe it teaches me "bad language habits" either. As one gradually develops the language skills, one picks up the nuances and starts to understand them and to use them in their own speech. And native speakers naturally adjust the complexity with which they speak to you. But no one is doing anyone any favors by speaking at the complexity level beyond the other person's understanding.

Besides, it's not like the Thais only learn English when we speak to them. They watch movies in English, they listen to Farang speak to each other, etc., and they have plenty of opportunities to hear proper English.

So yes, I do speak broken English, it has become a reflex. But I adjust the level of brokennes to the other person's English skills.

I try to speak English at the level the person can understand what I am saying.

I believe the purpose of language is to convey a thought which means getting the point across to the other person. Grammer may or may not play a role depending on the level the person is with English.

I will put up with their bad English and keep my vocabulary simple but my sentence structure correct.

Think Flash has the best idea here.. That's what I'd do if I was speaking to someone I didn't know. Speaking broken English could be seen as taking the piss.

I speak to the missus the same as I would speak to any English speaker, and I've found it has helped her English somewhat. Every now and then she queries a word, repeats it and asks how it's spelt.

Nervous Dog:

However, if you listen to ;little kids speak, they speak a VERY simple form of a language, and then develop it.

Best way to learn a language IMO.

Suadum and all,

I agree here. The point is to make yourself understood. If neither person is fluent in the other's language there has to be a compromise "language" to get the job done. That language Thaiglish/Tinglish whatever you call it. The purpose is to communicate. Most do not have the time or energy to become instant English teachers every time they speak with a Thai. They are trying to "communicate" not educate. Not every farang has the time, the patience, the natural linguistic ability to learn fluent Thai, nor do the "tourists" need to beyond the basics, just because some expats hate the way this sounds. So as funny as it may sound to some, it works, and will always be used, as being expedient and necessary for people to get their thoughts and desires across to another who has a small grasp of the language, either way. The longer you stay there, the more you learn, and if staying as an expat it would be a good idea to take some classes, all at your pace of course. Not eveyone is good at second languages, just to each his own. What ticks me off is the "snobbery" some bring into this subject. No one complained of Tonto's use of English as a second language to the Lone Ranger. :D And the Lone Ranger understood what the fuck he was saying!

Then throw in national and regional accents and we all can have some fun. I have people, friends even, who speak English to me who are not from an English speaking country who are "fluent" in English, but their accent is so thick I have a hard time understanding maybe half of what they are saying. Then there are the Brits and Aussie friends who speak some Martian form of English, and throw in the different slangs and all hell breaks loose and Babel reigns supreme.

And yeah, it does well to remember volume does NOT guarantee understanding. :D

Cent

Archived