Speaking Broken English

gummigut

Been having some discussions with several folks.

Most Thai girls speak broken English but my question is not about the girls.

My question is to the guys. Do you speak broken English to the Thais?

Do you think this is good or bad for the Thais (and you)?

Thanks!

<<burp>>

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speak simply, clearly and sloooooowwly. As the last poster has stated - and I agree - the person won't otherwise learn anything about English beyond baby talk.

Also, raising the voice will not improve comprehension but may damage the receiver's hearing.

Plan B: Learn Thai.

Plan C: Get pissed - this improves most falangs grasp of Thai I have found. Mine included.

On the other side of the coin, people (especially) who are self-taught in English rarely understand the use of the extraneous words that English has (e.g., articles) so they do not use them. And as a speaker, dropping those words leads to a quicker understanding when dealing with people like that.

But speaking louder only makes one look like an ugly American tourist LOL!

Cheers,

SD

Hi!

Plan C: Get pissed - this improves most falangs grasp of Thai I have found. Mine included.

This should really be plan A as it always works. When I was young we used to say that if one drinks enough one becomes strong handsome and fluent in the French language. I have however noticed that it works with Thai language as well.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi Gummigut,

I speak broken english as it is, I am told :(

But besides from that, it depends on the situation.

I would use every means available to me to get the message through, if I for some reason would have to communicate in english in Thailand.

If that takes "thinglish", so be it.

But if one hangs around someone regularly and regularly speaks pidgin, that certainly won`t do anyone any good.

I really don`t give it much thought though, if we are talking about a single encounter with a person, who gives you the distinct impression that he/she doesn`t get the message in mainstream english, then I dont mind one bit going pidgin. I`d like to communicate my message as effortless as possible and wouldn`t wanna to be bothered by speaking the queen`s english if it is poorly understood.

There are english teachers out there and I am not one of those. Probably just as good :o

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I speak Pidgeon English/thai as Gummiintuut knows.

I found it helped me to make people understand me quicker, however I am lazy and agree I should speak better than I do.

However, if you listen to ;little kids speak, they speak a VERY simple form of a language, and then develop it.

People who learn like I learnt French at scholl, Je Suis, Vous Avez, Nous Avon, etc, get no where.

Learn to STAR a conversation, no matter how simple, if someone speaks complicated thai to me, i have no idea what they say.

If they speak simple, or pidgeon Thai, I do.

Same goes for me speaking to them then doesn;t it!

DOG

Archived