Blatant traffic police corruption

Palatkik

Was stopped in my car tonight at the Rama IV / Tobacco Monopoly Road intersection by the police thugs. Their made up story was that they received a radio message from their police mates on Sukhumvit that I had entered the Tobacco Monopoly Road from Sukhumvit (over a kilometer away) using the second lane on Sukhumvit instead of the left lane. This was BS as I had not done any such thing and I strongly protested in Thai to them and they let me go immediately. Left me wondering if there is a place to complain of such outrageous tactics and whether it?s even worth the trouble?

Another incident the other day when I parked the car on a public road in Sukhumvit to go for a meal after dark. The parking mafia demanded 20B to avoid any scratches on the paint work. The GF at the time said there was a number to call to report such crimes, but I asked her what was the point as these thieves work for the police. They must do or they would have been bust years ago. She shrugged her shoulders and that was that.

Because nobody complains, they keep doing it.

So maybe complaining may work.

In the US, I complain all the time. Sometimes I complain just for the sale of complaining.

From your note it sounds like you did indeed follow the route the Police described to you. Did you notice any other cars making that turn from the second lane? That is a pretty common, but illegal practice. Could this have been a case of mistaken identification of your car? After all, they did let you go when you denied the violation.

Both times I have been pulled over it was some distance from the actual scene of my "crime" and the violation and was passed on via radio.

TH

One little MIB bastard tried something like that to me. I was at a red light ( 6 lanes of traffic) and I saw him trying to con some drivers ahead of me. The light turned green and I drove ahead. When I passed him he punched my window. I stopped ( furious at this time) and jumped out. He said I did an illegal u-turn ( I had been in the same lane for about 3-4km) He caught me on a bad morning and I decided I will try out the rudest thai I know and just stood up to him and helled at him for awhile as the traffic zoomed past us. He turned his back and I jumped in my car and drove away. I am sure both of us had a shitty day.

Palatkik said:

Yes, you could be correct on mis-identifying the car. Their approach though seemed more like trying to fleece a clueless farang than any genuine law breaker which left me wondering of what options are available for recourse if they don?t relent.

Not really meaning to sound like I'm pressing on this, but in what way would their approach be to fleecing a clueless Farang? They explained what infraction they thought you had committed and when you protested it wasn't you they let you go. How would a clueless farang have acted? Would he have just paid because of all he has heard about Thai traffic police? Could it be you are just reading their behavior to fit your stereotype?

It really seems to me your story should be favorable to the Thai police in the fact they admitted it may not have been you and let you go without paying. Pretty much just the opposite of the tone you put on it.

TH

I wonder if things would chage if the local papers ( had the balls to do it) started a colum where reades could mention these incidents, times, locations ( MIB names) and so on.

I would think if it were exposed to everyone, it would stop ( or they scamers would have to get more creative)

this is another negative thread about traffic police in Thailand!

i really have to say: i prefer them above many other police forces in other countries; they are much politer, less stubborn and you can talk you out of getting fined or at least talk you in a reduction of fine. i am driving for many years in this country and i have hardly have any bad experiences with the thamruat charachorn

The police in phuket strike me as being very courteous. They do seem to pick on motorbikes a lot though. I have a car and a motorbike. I only ever get stopped on the bike, and it is to check license and registration. I think they are trying to cut the accident rate somehow. The number of motorbike accidents here is staggering. Some of these kids ride like they are desperate to get the daily "darwin award".

Archived