Would you stop?

Hi,

Previous thread was closed, but I thought was a good one, so am resurrecting.

Flyonzewall and gummigut...play nice. ::

Let's continue.......

It's just very disturbing to me, that we should come to the point of looking the other way, when having the ability to help someone, out of fear from doing such. That is not the way it's suppose to work, and is inherently wrong. I have a huge problem with that. To do such, just continues to promote the apathy, and gives it all up to the other side.

You cannot tell me that is the answer. I'll just never accept that. Period.

HT

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi OCgringo,

Agreed. As I said before, the situation will alter reactions greatly. Especially when someone else is in your care. But at least alerting the cops is doing something. I'm just saying taking no proactive action whatsoever, disturbs me.

"It's not my problem" just doesn't cut it. Whether you like it or not, it is your problem. It becomes so, through proxy, and dumb-luck circumstance. I just feel it then becomes a responsibility of all. Maybe cannot render direct aid, but to not follow up in whatever way you can, is just not meeting your responsibility as a human being.

Honestly, no matter what is said here, when we can walk away from two people crawling around in the dirt after an obvious assault, and sleep soundly a few hours later.........desperately needs to be looked at. Jesus...what have we become if we do that? Self preservation has it's cost, I guess. It's just a price higher than I'm willing to pay, at least in this case. I'm not trying to place myself on a pedestal here...far from it. But to not drop gf off, further up the road, and then go back to give aid, is something I could not live with.

It saddens me to hear reactions here. ::

I'm 50 years old, and still here, never not stopping to give assistance where necessary. Fly isn't the only one with stories in his back pocket. The fear-factor shouldn't play into it. What if it was you in that field? It could very well have been Thalenoi and his wife. Would you still think it 'not my problem'?

HT

I would not stop.

I would continue my way and FIRST think about my very own safety, and my girl's of course. That's priority number one.

Once in a safer area I'd definitely make a call for help. If I'd happen to see the motorcycle gang drive away from the crime and I'd be certain they had fled the place (perhaps wait 5 minutes or so) I might go back and check but doubt it since I have no medical skills whatsoever.

Best leaving them as they are since moving or helping them up might very well worsen injuries.

Yes, unfortunate to close the original thread because two guys are bitching....

Ht said "but in this case, the guys had left already"

That's wrong, the gang was jumping on their motorbikes when they saw/heard us coming and I slowed down instinctively, realising in that split second these people needed help. At the same time the gf was shouting "Don't stop, don't stop" That got me into a dillemma.

When we reached the spot where the motorbike was lying the last motorbike driver was still making a U-turn, and the others were fleecing the scene but looking back. At the same time I tried to grasp a sight of the hurt people and still had not decided to stop or move on. I learned to listen to the gf in the years I spent with her in stead of knowing it better myself. This is HER country, she knows it better than I do. She shouted again to move on. I new instinctively I should obey her for our security. I also realised once the bad guys disappeared help would be at hand from other people passing by on the road. HT and BB know the road I think, It was at that spot where the Tech school exits. Not 5 minutes without a car and a group of houses nearby.

After we passed the place of incident, driving slowly, I saw a truck and a car stopping, withouth that I would have returned to the place. Anyway, this incident kept me thinking to the point of posting it here. Helping others, yes, but not at any price...

If we would have reached the place with the gang gone we certainly would have stopped, but not in our situation on a motorbike, or as I mentionned if we were driving a car. I discussed this a lot with the gf over the last days.

We were exposed to deadly threath indeed, difficult to realise but so true...The gf confirms the gang would not have second thoughts about hitting us with whatever they had available (knives...)

The GF was right and so are other people who recommend to move on. Considering the events and surroundings it was the only sensible thing to do.

>>>It was at that spot where the Tech school exits.<<<

of course. don't we know that? the vocational students, again.

you did right to stay out of it.

those are internal conflicts of tech school student gangs. very fucking dangerous. some of those gangs have hundreds of very violent members.

most of the time the ones hurt will not say anything at the police either, even if someone was killed. i have seen that often. the conflict will be finished outside the law.

>>>>You cannot tell me that is the answer. I'll just never accept that. Period.<<<<

how can i explain that to you?

would you interfere in a conflict between the bandidos and the hells angels back in the states?

because that is what it comes down to in such situations here - long ongoing conflicts between armed and very dangerous gangs. they have their own laws, their own justice.

how can you tell, not knowing the people involved, not knowing that sort of underground in thailand, what is actually going on there?

it's like walking in the middle of a warzone with a peace sign, asking the different sides to be nice to each other.

thing is that you might see something like that one day here. if you make the wrong decision based on a moral set up from your background, that might be right in your environment, but not here. you do run a very high risk to get between the sides, and to get hurt badly, or even killed.

what is your back up here in case things go wrong? who is your "puak", your gang?

first learn about the environment, before you even attempt any action.

I ran across a situation. While driving on the back wood roads of issan, we ran across a road accident. As I was slowing down to offer assistance all I heard was "dont stop you fool."

There were already a crowd there and an ambulance on the way. Every thai person I asked agreed. I should have not stopped as it would be trouble for me being a foreigner and more than likely I would have trouble with the police etc. I disagree and will stop in the future.

Hi Fly,

I'm certainly not advocating stepping into an explosive situation thinking you (me), as a stranger, are going to fix things. Of course you'll get your ass stomped.

But it does sound as though it's a very different situation over there, at least compared to the West. Sounds more like it IS 'The Wild West' over there. With cops being more like observers, and just waiting around to clean up the mess afterwards. ::

I guess I will have to think twice when over there, unfortunately. But will still be a risk vs. reward type of thing for me. But to listen to most expats, the risk is ALWAYS greater than ANY reward there.

I'd be interested to hear more stories, from those living in LOS. I think a very important issue for anyone traveling there, to know just what the real situation is. And of course, Thalenoi has no reason to beat himself up. Cars stopped behind him, so he was assured that victims were getting help. That's all that mattered. :up:

HT

Archived