Would you stop?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

>>>there are only a few avenues where the lifes get mixed up.>>

Ok...I'm starting to get it, and understanding the reality.

Thanks for your insights, Fly.

HT

MM said: "I fell asleep in the subway and woke up about 1:30 AM on the train in the middle of Harlem. That would generally scare the living crap out of most people."

And if you'd of looked out the window of the subway train in Harlem and seen a group of guys beating the shit out of someone with baseball bats would you have left the relative safety of your seat and helped?

The argument is not what I would do in the example you gave but [color:"red"] the argument should be if you were getting the shit beaten out of you, would you want somebody to come to your aid? [/color]

If you say NO, end of argument but I think your answer will be YES.

:stirthepo The reason why Thailand and other places have problems like they have, is because too many people look the other way.

HT: I am really glad you re-opened the thread to discuss alternatives when confronted with this type of situation.

As for fozw: I think his long winded defense for absolutely no involvement in any situation shows the absurdity of his whole position. The only thing that was missing in his weapons list was BenWa balls. What can you say to a guy who says, "it's like walking in the middle of a warzone". ABSURD

The fact that he doesn't get it and continues arguing a no involvement policy is beyond me.

Education of the dangers and that actions have different risk factors is where it's at.

The one about continueing on, dropping off the girlfriend and going back is great.

Going to the police and reporting that you've seen "something" but didn't get close enough to see particulars is another idea.

Sometimes freaky things happen and we may find ourselves on the short end of the stick. I sure as hell hope someone would atleast make a phone call on my behalf.

<<burp>>

"And if you'd of looked out the window of the subway train in Harlem and seen a group of guys beating the shit out of someone with baseball bats would you have left the relative safety of your seat and helped?"

Obviously not. In certain situations NYC cops wouldn't either, especially if there were more than a couple. They'd call for backup. Which is what I hope someone would atleast do for me instead of not bothering to get involved because the guys with bats may have benwa balls.

<<burp>>

>>>The only thing that was missing in his weapons list was BenWa balls. What can you say to a guy who says, "it's like walking in the middle of a warzone". ABSURD<<<

the only thing that is absurd here, is that you consistently mouth off about a topic that you have neither any personal experience whatsoever, nor have you anything worthwhile to contribute other than another sarcastic attack againts me.

by the way, i have been just back, sending off a 47 year old bloke to the hospital whose ear was cut off with a samurai sword, and a twenty year old kid who came to his aid, whose finger was nearly severed.

>>>The fact that he doesn't get it and continues arguing a no involvement policy is beyond me.<<<

it would be less beyond you if you might take the time and start opening your eyes about the country you happen to live in.

anyhow, thanks for lowering the tone of an otherwise interesting thread. i am rather sure that it will be closed again soon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the handson experiences you are referring to are in Bkk?

Are you saying that the very unpleasant personal situations you are referring to regularly take place in the same scale in just about any of the 76 provinces of Thailand?

It could be interesting to know how Thalenoi perceives the general situation when it comes to crime of this kind in his own backyard.

Afterall he has been living in this area for years and before you argue that his command of thai doesn`t equalize that of yours, surely his wife`s does.

Hua Nguu

Hi Gummi,

In all fairness to Fly, as part of a medical emergency response team there, he probably see's it all, hense his position. What he may not see, is what brought him to the scene in the first place. It often could be a concerned soul, who thought they should do the right thing. But he makes valid points, and hard to argue that he is not on the front lines with this issue. And hearing that point of view, is very important to understanding the entirety of the situation.

>>>>What can you say to a guy who says, "it's like walking in the middle of a warzone". ABSURD<<<<

For him, it probably is. While you might be shopping at MBK, he might be cleaning up some back-ally dispute, resulting in missing body parts. You both are going to have two very different views of Thailand, that night.

While you may not agree with his overall assessment, his input here is quite unique, and a definite asset here. But no more important than yours, or mine. Listen.....we got guys here who would run someone over with their car, and still not stop. :yikes:

>>>>>The fact that he doesn't get it and continues arguing a no involvement policy is beyond me.<<<<

Well....he has his reasons for this. And knowing what they are, are important here. And is equally important that we hear your side, and all the others. Hearing all different viewpoints is what is going to give us a good understanding of the situation. I'm in direct conflict with Fly's assessment of not getting involved, also. But I don't live there. And don't pretend to know all their is to know about LOS. In fact, much of what I know, has been gleened from here. I'm always willing to learn, and take a second look at my position.

So don't fuck that up! :) Let's play nice here, and not get this thread closed again. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. Good, bad, or indifferent. God knows I have regulars gunning for me, with every post I make. But I think with this thread, we can all learn something, so might be a good time to put away petty differences. All of us have something to bring to the table in this thread. There is a common thread, in that any of us could be confronted with this situation. And that is what makes it especially important.

HT :soapbox:

Archived