Would you stop?

>>>Are you saying that the very unpleasant personal situations you are referring to regularly take place in the same scale in just about any of the 76 provinces of Thailand?<<<

i can't be in every province of thailand, can i? ;)

...but the ones i do know are rather similar regarding violence. and some, like chonburi, and the southern provinces are far worse.

just watch thai TV, watch luang ching pan jor, for example, or the regular documentaries on motorcycle racers, and vocational students. then you might get a bit of a more realistic picture of what's going on here without actually getting yourself involved. or join a rescue team. easy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>It often could be a concerned soul, who thought they should do the right thing.<<<

yeps. like the guy who's face was slashed to pieces some time ago, when he went to help.

or the guy tonight, who nearly lost his finger.

etc.

but yeah, it's all absurd. all part of my fantasy, my imagination...

Hi,

"In all fairness to Fly, as part of a medical emergency response team there, he probably see's it all,"

And that is part of the problem. It has skewed his point of view (eventhough he will deny this).

If I were to work in a bakery, and see dozens of Thais buy bread everyday, I might be inclined to think that Thais on a whole love bread. Of course I'd be wrong.

All it means is that some do, many other may not, but to my perception it looks like most do.

Same thing with Fly and seeing violence.

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"In all fairness to Fly, as part of a medical emergency response team there, he probably see's it all,"

And that is part of the problem. It has skewed his point of view (eventhough he will deny this).

If I were to work in a bakery, and see dozens of Thais buy bread everyday, I might be inclined to think that Thais on a whole love bread. Of course I'd be wrong.

All it means is that some do, many other may not, but to my perception it looks like most do.

Same thing with Fly and seeing violence.

Sanuk!

:up:

Excellent analogy.

Same analogy applies to just about everything we, as individuals, say on this board.

It's all about reference frame.

Hua Nguu said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the handson experiences you are referring to are in Bkk?

Are you saying that the very unpleasant personal situations you are referring to regularly take place in the same scale in just about any of the 76 provinces of Thailand?

It could be interesting to know how Thalenoi perceives the general situation when it comes to crime of this kind in his own backyard.

Afterall he has been living in this area for years and before you argue that his command of thai doesn`t equalize that of yours, surely his wife`s does.

Hua Nguu

I sometimes find the gf paranoid, but again this is HER country and she knows it better, believe me.

This was not the first incident we experienced around here.

I would say YES in all 76 provinces.

Since we discussed this subject over the last week, she informed me on a few situations that happened around our little beach community over the last 3 years we live here, including a few juvenile murders around the corner. She found there was no need for me to know these incidents were happening...

Regularly I see results of idiotic behaviour around the beach, broken bottles on the street, excellent for tyres of cars and motorbikes. One year ago we were threatened with sticks by a bunch of drunken boys on our way back home from a dinner just 2km from our home, I did not realise that, but the gf did and again she ordered me to accelerate. I mentionned this incident here then.

The gf will always move us away from dangerous situations.

This time it was different because two people got beaten up just ahead of us and I was worried as for helping them.

>>>>And that is part of the problem. It has skewed his point of view (eventhough he will deny this).<<<<

have i ever said that all thais are violent and run around with knifes looking for trouble? i don't think so.

if you go a few posts back i have identified dangerous spots, and reasoned why most farang do rarely get in touch with that side of thailand. would you please argue my posts instead of labelling my points "skewed".

i am not stupid, my friend, and i am not 24 hours a day running around town picking up injured. i have lived here 12 years, known the place since nearly 16 years, and am with the rescue only since a bit more than 4 years. and i have noticed especially in the last two and a half years a huge surge in violence. a surge that is changing in nature of violence as well. before, it was mainly violence between involved people, now it goes over in a nasty sort of random violence.

if there is a point skewed, excuse me please, then it is yours. i do know very well the thailand of sanuk, and fun. i do know the thailand of party life, of the art scene, of the offices. and there you do not see much of violence. but in addition to that i also know very well the other side.

i just think it is more important when i make posts about that side here. lots of people can make posts of office life, no need for me to make posts of when some secretaries and other office ladies try to flirt with me.

listen to thalenoi's post. he said that in many instances his wife has not found it necessary to tell him much of violent incidents within the immidiate neighborhood.

get to know a bit of the darker side here before you accuse someone of being "scewed".

and, a different matter. i have notified the "moderator" (whoever that may be) that i am everything else than happy about the arrogant tone and consistent personal attacks of gummi, yesterday night (not really "sanuk" IMHO, one is free to disagree with me, but please without such a snobbish and belittling tone). so far i have not received a clarification, nor a statement why my protest was ignored. would you mind giving that anonymous moderator a kick in his sanuking arse, please.

i expect at least an explanation.

You're right KS, he denied it. :D

Just havin' a laugh Fly, I for one find most of the information you share here fascinating, and appreciate it a lot. If I were to be critical, I would say you can get a bit touchy sometimes if someone else doesn't share your view. In the gummigut 'round' earlier, from what I can tell, all he was saying is he found it hard to accept that nothing was the best thing to do.

Even driving/riding to the nearest police station, or making a phone call when out of sight/danger, would be something... better than doing nothing.

Then it all got personal, on both sides.

Just my uninformed take on it all.

>>>all he was saying is he found it hard to accept that nothing was the best thing to do.<<<

and that is a perfectly alright thing to say. only with the attachments of "ABSURD" and "he just don't get it" etc., the whole thing becomes a bit aggrevating for me.

anyhow, thanks for the appreciation. :)

HT:

"In all fairness to Fly, ...he probably see's it all, hense his position... But he makes valid points, and hard to argue that he is not on the front lines with this issue."

HUH? The ONLY point I've taken up with fozw is the point of NEVER getting involved into the situation.

I'm just saying educate yourself to the choices and risks you have and to make the best decision possible. To me, not doing anything at all is a pretty clear cut decision on what is good and what is not.

"Everyone here is entitled to their opinion."

Never said he wasn't entitled to his opinion. Just saying that it's absurd to never get involved.

fozw can even go on and keep saying that Thailand is unique in it's violence blah blah blah. And that I do not see the true Thailand because I don't open my eyes. Like I care. fozw said it best in the other thread, "thai people are just people, nothing more, nothing less."

Nothing unique in their human misery. I just don't let it blind me.

<<burp>>

Hi,

"have i ever said that all thais are violent and run around with knifes looking for trouble? i don't think so."

Obviously you do not get the point. Oh well, does not surprise me.

"would you mind giving that anonymous moderator a kick in his sanuking arse, please."

That anonymous moderator who received the notification was me. I did check out the post and while I agree that Gummigut is dragging this on a bit, I would hardly call it a personal attack. Which is why I did nothing.

And as for "a snobbish and belittling tone", don't you think this is a bit rich coming from you? Especially when you in the same post feel the need to tell me "I have lived here 12 years, known the place since nearly 16 years".

Sanuk!

Archived