Boat sinks during Full Moon Koh Phangan

limbo

Hi Guys,

Hot from the spot. Last night, apparently around 5am a (speed) boat transferring people back from Phangang to Samui has sunk approximately 20 meters from the pier at Bang Rak.

Sofar 6 bodies have been recovered, not known whether foreigner or Thai.

Not known sofar wether boat was overloaded or not (most likely was).

Maybe this tragic event will help to regulate transfers in the future, though my hopes are low.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allright, just got back from the pier, it (the speedboat) had trouble kind of halfway Phangan and Samui and was pulled in to approx 20 meters from the pier.

6 foreign bodies have been recovered, 2 bodies of young Thai males and apparently one body is still stuck on the boat.

Also apparently 10 people are still missing.

ITV was on the scene already and broadcasted already.

khunsanuk said:

Hi, 20 meters from the pier and none were able to reach that?

My initial thought also. Wonder if the boat capsized, trapping some underneath.

When I took a fast boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, I took one look at the interior (about 20 rows of seats, 4 across, with a narrow aisleway down the middle, and one exit at the front), and opted to sit on top of the boat for the 6 hour ride. the views were well worth the heat and occasional rain, though.

shotover said:
khunsanuk said:

Hi, 20 meters from the pier and none were able to reach that?

My initial thought also. Wonder if the boat capsized, trapping some underneath.

When I took a fast boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, I took one look at the interior (about 20 rows of seats, 4 across, with a narrow aisleway down the middle, and one exit at the front), and opted to sit on top of the boat for the 6 hour ride. the views were well worth the heat and occasional rain, though.

Same in Singapore. The ferries to Bintan and Batam islands are absolute death traps, and the shipping lanes there are very busy. I take this sort of stuff too lightly, but it's well worth being cautious.

Tourist boat capsized off Koh Samui, 7 dead, 10 missing

Published on Jan 25 , 2005

BANGKOK, January 25 (The Nation) -- At least 7 people were killed, including 4 foreign tourists, & 10 people missing after overloaded speedboat capsized Tue off Koh Samui, police said.

The boat was returning to Samui island from the popular all-night full moon party on neighbouring Koh Phangan island, which draws thousands of local visitors and foreign tourists.

According to Colonel Bandid Tungkaseni, commander of Surat Thani marine police, seven bodies had been recovered -- three foreign men, one foreign woman, two Thais, one unidentifed body, and about 10 missing people.

"There were 40 passengers on the boat and half of them were rescued, said Major Samai Prompakol, a senior police officer in Samui.

The Nation

Since it was overloaded with 40 people, I guess it could not have been one of those big catamarans that make that run and have seating for more like 200 I would guess. The big catamarans seem like death traps to me. They are very comfortable, but seem to have just several small doorway exits for such a great amount of people.

Archived