Boat sinks during Full Moon Koh Phangan

limbo

Unfortunately I have never seen a government including the U.S. that is proactive. Only when a tragedy takes place do government officials react.

I remember taking a riverboat trip the first time I was in BKK. I was amazed at the lack of safety features on the boat.

There is probably nothing worse than the families receiving news that their loved ones died on a trip. The tsunami was one thing, that was nature. This is pure negligence and was completely avoidable. My prayers go out to the families who have lost loved ones in this tragedy.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is indeed a tragedy for the families of those killed. I am always amazed at how people when traveling in a third world country do not pay any attention to their own personal safety and expect the same level of regulation and inspection they get in their own country. When something like this happens they want to blame the government. I agree it would be very nice if the safety level over the entire globe was the same as in most of the western world, but its not, so you have take some personal responsibly. Pay attention to your surroundings, plan an escape route, and in the case of boat transportation, check for life jackets and if you don?t wear it, make sure you have placed one handy. If they don?t have them, get off.

TH

kamui wrote:

[color:"red"] "I wonder why local authories including Mr. T. can't wait with their judment about the cause of the accident until some competent people examined the boat and it seems even to be impossible for them to speak with one voice."[/color]

[color:"green"] Some Thai people are sick and tired of what is happening in Thailand, they look at the 'dark force' - mafia as something that has to be done away with. Whenever anything can be used to support this position - it is used.

In the recent past, nothing could be done till some people died such as happened on the river regarding the river boat taxis. Now, some are starting to take action before catastrophes occur. Major changes have already been made in the red light businesses and I suspect, we have only seen the beginning.[/color]

[color:"white"] . . . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili:

[color:"purple"]

Today an 8th person was found, a Thai female.

Thaihome,

Unfortunately the state everybody is in at that time of the day is that the punters don't care about safety, they're drunk and tired and wanna go home and probably pay extra money to get on already overlaoded boats.

Tourist boat driver blames fatal crash on mechanical failure

SURAT THANI, Jan26 (TNA) -

The driver of a tourist speedboat that capsized in the Gulf of Thailand killing at least seven people has blamed the accident on a combination of speed and mechanical failure.

The speedboat driver, Samran Rungruang, gave himself up to police this morning and now faces negligence and manslaughter charges.

Surat Thani Governor Vijit Vichaisarn told a news conference today that there were 47 passengers aboard the speedboat on its journey from Pha-ngan island to Samui. Seven people have been confirmed dead, including four foreign tourists; 15 people are missing; and 25 were rescued.

The speedboat driver said he had picked up more than 30 passengers from Haad Rin, site of a popular beach party held every full moon. He said he lost control when the boat's hydraulic system failed at high speed, hurling all the passengers to one side and causing the vessel to capsize.

The Royal Thai Navy and local marine police are continuing to search the area for survivors. It is hoped some of those still listed as missing managed to make it ashore on surrounding islets. (TNA)--E113

Now they're saying THREE MILES from shore ...

Wednesday January 26, 2005

Three Britons drown in boat tragedy

At least three Britons were among tourists who drowned when an overloaded speedboat capsized as it was sailing them from a Thai beach party.

Rescuers were still searching for at least four tourists still missing after the overcrowded boat capsized and sank but held out little hope of finding any survivors.

A Thai woman's body was later found today, raising the death toll to eight.

Police said 10 people remained missing in the Pha-Ngan and Samui areas of southern Thailand, but authorities have so far only been able to confirm that four of them were on the boat.

Of the eight killed, three were Britons, one American and four Thais, said police Lieutenant Colonel Veerayut Hiran.

One Briton was named as Marc Elder-Bradley, 38, from London.

Samran Rungruen, the skipper of the 30 foot boat surrendered to police and blamed the accident on a mechanical problem.

He had fled the scene when the boat capsized and sank while carrying 40-50 people, far more than the 25-30 it was designed for, said Veerayut.

"The information about missing people is very sketchy because the people we have talked to often don't know whether their friends or relatives were on that boat," said Lt. Korjaru Sangamantorn, the marine police chief.

The boat capsized on Tuesday as it was travelling from Pha-Ngan Island, which attracts thousands of young foreigners to monthly full moon parties, to the larger resort of Samui. Survivors who were rescued about three miles from Samui's pier said most of the boat's passengers were drunk.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050126/344/fb3fo.html

My local sources say that it happened pretty much in front of Big Buddah, which is maybe a kilometer away from the beach.

That was the word yesterday and I was going out on our dive boat today and the captain and crew also pointed to a spot pretty much in fron of Big Buddah.

My wifes initial reaction was almost one of disbelief, like, that can't happen in front of Big Buddah!

Archived