Giving up the fags

Fidel

I havent smoked for just over three months now. Is that enough for me to call myself an ex-smoker? I dunno but I remind myself of that fact everyday and my lungs also thank me for it. I still miss the ciggies now and then but keep my mouth occupied with lotsa (normal) chewing gum and lickorish. (sp).

If possible (and I do think it is) I never want to touch another stick. Even if one should smoke weed, no tobacco in that mix, thats for sure.

Also, apart from the monkey one has to push the first week without ciggies, I found there to be other side effects of living without the stimulus that nicoteine gives me, both physically and psycologically. For instance I have had to learn how to drink alcohol again...But thats a whole other story...

good luck.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to take the view that if I lit another ciggy it would start me off smoking again and that would eventually cost me over £150,000 at todays prices (if I reached the age of 75). To turn down a fag with that price tag on it was easy, you can have a lot of fun spending that sort of money :D

I think doing heavy exercise as a replacement for smoking can help you overcome your physical cravings. I would also suggest dietary supplementation in the form of carrot juices to help heal the lungs. Much of the weight put on after smoking is actually due to food cravings which are caused by the body wanting vitamins and minerals to help replenish itself so you need to try and eat very well in the initial phases of giving up.

The physchological addiction is probably the hardest part with cigs as a lot of experts have stated that it takes up to two years to conquer this aspect.

Finally many people make the mistake that if they backslide once they are doomed to become heavy smokers again.If it happens just treat it as an aberration and continue with your abstinence program the next day.

Good luck.

Thanks again guys... day 5... I think I passed a landmark last night. I went out in Dublin with friends. Thankfully the pubs are now free of smoke, which helps.. but usually I relapse when I'm out with friends.. last night I didn't smoke.. wasn't even tempted..

Here weed is difficult to come by, I sometimes smoke Hashish.. that you have to mix unfortunately... so looks like I'm giving that up too...

I tend to eat well and exercise quite a bit anyway... hopefully I won't relapse this weekend.. if I do I think I'd be ashamed to post about it..

Thinking of each smoke as having a £150,000 price tag helps as does the PM I received from a board member about family deaths due to smoking.. cheers guys!

I have been on and off smoking for four years now. I can quit anyday if I just chew nicotin gums but that doesn't help with the nicotin addiction. But I think it would be easier to quit chewing gums than cigs. And I'm sure at least it's healthier to chew gum. At weekdays I usually don't smoke but when the weekend comes I forget the gums and buy a pack of cigs.

It's just that I don't enjoy drinking beer if I can't smoke :(

I have the addiction under control now. Three years ago I made a promise to someone much younger and very close to me that I would give up. He had just lost his mother, and I could see his concern at the prospect of another older figure going the same way because of a 20 a day habit. We shook on a deal with the proviso that I could still smoke (cigarettes that is!) on my Thai holidays.

So that's what I do. I smoke Falling Rain (hence the Board handle) and being able to puff away for 3 weeks has become an extra enjoyable part of the holiday. Last time my current female companion and her friend met me at the airport with a carton each! As soon as I get back to the UK I finish the current packet and then stop dead.

I think it's the fact that the commitment was to someone else, and someone that I really care for, that has held my toes to the fire. I'm fairly sure I would have renaged on a purely personal promise. Yes the craving is bad for a few days, but it passes, and after the first time , you know that it passes.

Now I'm hitting later 50's the extra health benefits also fit in with my long term desires to be still hitting the bars in my 70's!!

It helped me a lot when I learned that the craving for a cig usually only lasts for 1-3 min. When the craving sets in just occupy yourself with something else and you will be ok after a few minutes.

For the first week there will be 15-30 cravings a day this then dropps gradually and may only be one or two a day after a month.

The trick is to get over the 1-3 min but knowing it is just a few minutes makes it a lot easier.

Archived