Giving up the fags

Fidel

I know this topic has been discussed before.. but since I'm in the throws of cold turkey cravings I thought I might as well bring it up again.

Generally, I have no problem going for a day or two without smoking. My problem has been giving up totally... for once and for all.

I am approaching the end of day three... and up until now I've been fine... but I just got the strongest craving for a smoke, accompanied by paranoia....

I know they talk about the three day hump and all that but I'm wondering if I can expect to have to deal with this kind of craving regularly over the next few weeks... and I'd like to know how others on the board have dealt with their cravings..

Cheers! :: ::

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quit about 8 years ago and I don't like talking about it because it always sounds preachy.

I did a lot of walking in the early stages.

I think it takes a long time before you can say you have quit. You have to get to the point where you see other people doing it and feel amazed that you actually did it too. Good luck. :)

It gets easier as time goes on, the first week is the worst, but you are almost over the worst. There is no simple way to deal with it, it's a mind game, you have to decide who's in charge, you or the nicotine. If you really want to stop, it's not that hard but you do need the will power. The biggest danger comes in the following months when you will be tempted to 'just have one' DON'T it would be the most enjoyable one you ever had and start you off again, take my word on this. :o it took me another 2 years before I managed to develope the will power to stop again, I have not smoked for 14 years now and wish I had never started, it cost me a fortune. Good Luck.

I read somewhere that nicotine addiction is stronger than cocaine addiction. I quit smoking several times and restarted again each time after thinking I could handle just one or two smokes. BIG mistake!!

I have now convinced myself that I am a nicotine addict and can NEVER have even one cigarette or I will start the smoking cycle again. It has worked for me for over 18 years that I have gone without a cigarette.

Try a substitute to keep your hands/mouth busy like a lifesaver or some other candy. Good luck and your heart/lungs will sure appreciate your quitting in the long run.

Rather than addess the broad concept of not having a cigarette (when addicted a difficult task, and thus an excuse to do it), concentrate on the simple task of refusing to move your hand to a cigarette packet, a much simpler concept.

After all if you cannot control the movement of your hand to a cigarette packet or anywhere else you are probably lost.

I approached it the same as gene1944. As a heavy smoker and quite thoroughly addicted nicotine junkie for 20+ years I found myself one day in the hospital with a trashed immune system, a blood infection in my kidneys and a nasty pneumonia to boot, back in 1991. Lingering near to death I saw the moment as an opportunity of sorts and pretty much assumed the posture of AA- I will always love smoking; I will always be addicted to cigs; and, the very next one I smoke will be the death of me.

That became a mantra of sorts for the five days in hospital and when I was released I avoided anything that might have triggered a relapse- caffeine, sodas [with caffeine], rituals after meals etc. for a good six months. I carried the mantra forward as my crutch even avoiding second hand smoke, as that might even have triggered a relapse. It worked.

In that situation, I was so utterly scared and consumed with bolstering my mental and physical selves that the withdrawl itself was not really an issue [on that occasion] as it was the 3,000 other times I had quite for good.

I will say this unequivocally: With every single day that you resist you gain strength and the craving diminishes in proportion.

Know this, too, once you do succeed, and with time, as the nicotine recedes from your system, you will find you feel as though a decade worth of vitality has been bestowed upon you. I found this true to be true in my case.

Be strong, and endure the initial pains! I wish you the best in your efforts.

There's a new medicine available in Thailand called Brupopean (or something similar)

Rather than nictone replacements like patches which can sometimes leave you with a stronger addction than you started with, this product interferes with the craving mechanism and takes away your desire. It also contains a mild antidepressant to take your mind off the mental cravings.

I've got a packet at home. Apparently your supposed to ingest the buggers if you want them to work.

cheers

Archived