Giving up the fags

Fidel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... mixed, I guess. There have been a couple of nights out when I smoked one or two ciggies.. but definitely isolated incidents and I know I can never go back to smoking..... Let me see... I guess I've smoked maybe 10 cigs since I posted... Even at that I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't been completely clean... :(

Fidel-

Congrats on that number!

Not quite zero but much, much closer than before.

I am a heavy smoker and it is a tough one to give up. For me the problem is that the craving with beer or a Bloody Mary is very intense.

And I have far more of both that I should.

• 3 weeks later...

Fidel,

Keep up the good work(health). I stopped smoking the day my second son was born. Everday his birthday comes around is a reminder of how long I've been off that 'nasty stuff'. Seven years clean, after 20 years of doing them.

Chok dee,

HOKS

himitsu

There is no need to put on weight when you quit smoking.

The reason that people put on weight is that the body starts to crave for certain nutrients when you are detoxing from tobacco. People get hungry but they often eat the wrong food and they stay hungry becasue the body is actually crying out for certain nutrients. One of the best things you can do is to have regular fresh vegetable juices...carrot celery and beetroot is a good one. They help the detox process along with supplying essentilally vitamins and minerals. Along with this take multi vitamins, garlic, zinc and have a regular exercise program. Also any orange food is helpful in repairing lung tissue...I think it is the vitamin A.

If you take a holistic approach there is no need to put on weight.

himitsu,

actually after quiting I started to lift weights, swim everyday, cut down on red meats and carbos, lots of veggies and salads. fruits for snacks. fish and grilled chicken. I still drink, beer and wine, but cut out the hard stuff (except when I'm in Thailand, love the Chivas and thai discos). I'm in pretty good shape now, for a 46 y.o...I do this all for my sons, my self esteem and my regulars in thailand.

Chok dee,

HOKS

When I quit, every so often, my weight shoots straight up. My problem is that employement requires me to be at a keyboard for fourteen or fifteen hours a day.

When in LOS I smoke less and get plenty of exercise. In general a much happier life than when in the US.

Lower stress in BKK is certainly a big part of it.

Last stretch was six months and I was down five notches on the belt- at least fifteen kilos.

Good luck ......it is a tough one.

Archived