Do I pay for her ticket

DWS

Hi there,

Just wondering what the board members think about the following.

October last year I met a GTG while in Thailand for two weeks holiday, and I’m quite impressed with her. She’s 34 (I’m 40) and she works in middle management for a multinational company, as well as studying for a masters degree part time. She’s may not be a stunner, but quite pretty, fluent English, nice sense of humour and a real minx in bed. Things progressed nicely while I was there, except that I didn’t get to see as much of her as I would have liked. She would often work until 8 – 9 pm and had study classes in the weekends, but things were pretty intense during the evenings and two afternoons we did get together.

Since then we have kept in touch by email and phone, although most of the traffic is from me. I get one or two emails from her a week and she has called a couple of times since Oct. I am planning to return to Thailand for another holiday in June/July, but we are also talking about her visiting me briefly in April. She has already made inquiries about flights and found a fare for about 35,000 Baht, which is not bad, about what it costs me to go there. I realise that this is probably a large amount of money for her, so I have told her I will help her out with the ticket cost. Now here’s the rub, although I can afford to pay the whole ticket price for her, should I? I still have some doubts as to whether she is serious about wanting a relationship, or whether her career / study is more important. I was thinking of paying 80% which would leave her to pay 7,000 Baht to pay, but not sure if this will put too much financial pressure on her ( how much would a Thai woman in middle management make per month? ). I'm not trying to be a cheap charlie here, just wanting to be sure the attraction to her is me, not a all expenses paid holiday to another country. Anyway, interested in any feedback on this.

Cheers,

D.W.S.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before buying the ticket, have her get a passport and a visa. She may already have a passport, but the visa maybe a different thing.

Depending on where live, getting a visa may take 1-2 years, that is if she can get one.

As for the ticket, when she can get a visa, then discuss with her how much you might want to spend. The ticket will be in her name. If something goes wrong, she will probably turn the ticket in for a refund.

[color:"white"] . [/color]

MM,

Why would a visa take 1-2 years ??????

OP did not say where he is from, might be he is from the EC, easier visas, but I find the ticket price a bit high......

First time I met my GF 3 years ago, we did take a holiday together in Phuket, she paid her own fare then with TG, 6k Bt, I paid all the rest.

DWS, its up to you to decide, just listen to your GF on what she wants to contribute, if any.

BB

You are right BB on questioning on why it would take 1-2 years to get a visa. If he is from the US, she applies for a visa. In a few days, she has the answer. But most Thais can not get a visa. In the back of my mind I was thinking of a fiance or spouse visa - that may take 1-2 years. He only wants to see her, not marry her.

Thanks for the correction BB.

MM said, "In the back of my mind I was thinking..."

Well, MM that really is your problem, isn't it! ::

K-1 visa does not take 1 or 2 years. Try several months if girl is not in p4p. With a degree and a good job she may get the visa in 4 to 8 months...K-1 that is!

SkiBum

Education and/or good job have no bearing on getting a K-1. As far as P4P, many in that field have gotten one too. :) Time line depends on where in the states the guy lives, but I sure wouldn't plan on 4 months.

If I get off my lazy butt, I'm starting a blog on bringing one home. Hopefully will have the first entry tomorrow.

As far as paying for the orginall poster's friend for a visit, he should pay, period, but the visa question is the big question, especially if he lives in the states.

Guest lazyphil

<<K-1 visa does not take 1 or 2 years. Try several months if girl is not in p4p. With a degree and a good job she may get the visa in 4 to 8 months...K-1 that is!>>

Dont know about K1 Visas but it takes about 2 hours to get a B2 US Tourist Visa for a Thai female (without a degree) IME, good for 10 years ::

Thanks for the reply,

I'm a Kiwi so visa requirements for NZ are not as strict as what I understand they are for the US. About 4 years ago I brought a BG home with me on holiday. We went to the visa office together to make the application and one week later she had a 3 month tourist visa. I had know this girl about two years over a number of trips to Thailand, and was hoping to progress the relationship. But after she went back to Thailand it wasn't long before I stopped hearing from her. I guess that is why I'm a little gunshy about the attraction of an all expenses paid holiday.

Yes you are right, it's a little early to talk of marriage yet.

Cheers,

DWS

Archived