Conversations with Thai girls

MisterBlonde

A few weeks ago i spent a couple of weeks meeting up with Thai girls that i had met up with on thai dating sites,these girls were all uni girls and spoke English quite well ranging to very well.

I can carry on conversations with most people on most subjects,and i am quite chatty,but with Thai girls,i find that they seem to lack any semblance of an inquisitive nature whatsoever and if it wasn't for me propping up the conversation,then we'd just end up looking at each other in silence,and it wasn't as though they were'nt interested,as they all wanted to see me again.

I was probably the first guy from Australia they had met,but there were no questions about my country whatsovever,no question's regarding my family....no interest at all....i actually spent 3 hours in Gullie's with a real cutie,and it was only after she'd left that i realised she had'nt even asked me what i did for a living.

When i take other girls (non thais) i am flattered when they start to ask me a lot of questions about myself...because it shows their interested,but i'm not sure whether Thai girls are too shy to ask the questions or whether they really are not interested in anything outside of thaland or their scope of thinking.

I'm now back home and have been keeping up correspondence with just the one girl on a regular basis,but i'm finding the conversations are getting a bit tedious and one sided......So a question,to you guys in relationships.....do the girls open up,the more you get to know them? and do they become more interested? do you find that the lack of common interest's ie.. music,movies,friends (actually i could go on for quite a while here) affects your conversation and you rely upon you're friend's and/or the internet for more interesting stimuli?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

>>>>i'm not sure whether Thai girls are too shy to ask the questions or whether they really are not interested in anything outside of thaland or their scope of thinking.<<<

::

Welcome to the world of Thai dating. They were not brought up like you, and me. Most have no idea of the world around them. A lot has to do with insecurity, and their lack of knowledge, which does not translate to them being stupid. You have to understand that Thailand is all they know.

It's hard to explain.......

Try this....Khon Thai are not curious by nature. Almost none have a passport. It would not dawn on many/most of them to vacation outside of the Kingdom. To many, they are a world onto themselves. That is changing somewhat, but I challenge you to find an older Thai person who has ever been out of his/her own country.

Isolated is the word I'm looking for. khao jai mai? (understand?).

HT

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi,

>>>>i'm not sure whether Thai girls are too shy to ask the questions or whether they really are not interested in anything outside of thaland or their scope of thinking.<<<

::

Welcome to the world of Thai dating. They were not brought up like you, and me. Most have no idea of the world around them. A lot has to do with insecurity, and their lack of knowledge, which does not translate to them being stupid. You have to understand that Thailand is all they know.

It's hard to explain.......

Try this....Khon Thai are not curious by nature. Almost none have a passport. It would not dawn on many/most of them to vacation outside of the Kingdom. To many, they are a world onto themselves. That is changing somewhat, but I challenge you to find an older Thai person who has ever been out of his/her own country.

Isolated is the word I'm looking for. khao jai mai? (understand?).

HT

---

HT,

in my eyes, your statement comes to the actual truth very near! :applause:

In the beginning, my girl had a great deal of curiosity about what I do now (run businesses in Pattaya) but she could not bring herself to ask about what I did before (investment banker). After a number of months, she grew more confident and opened up a lot more. When I asked why she didn't originally ask about my past, she said that she was nervous and shy about asking because she knew it was something she would have no knowledge about and she did not want to make herself look foolish or lose face.

Whilst I understand that I can never talk through trading strategies or have her understand complicated derivative risk, she has progressed to a fundamental knowledge about what I did, enough to say one time that she thought the "boyfriend" of her friend was lying about his investment banking job in Switzerland. Turns out that he was a back office grunt and not a front office based decision maker !

On a seperate note, I receive the greatest satisfaction is seeing how she is learning, with quite some success, how to manage and balance the household budget. So much so that I have opened a joint account with her and put a monthly allowance into that along with her salary.

>>>When I asked why she didn't originally ask about my past, she said that she was nervous and shy about asking because she knew it was something she would have no knowledge about and she did not want to make herself look foolish or lose face.<<

See above. :D

HT

"That is changing somewhat, but I challenge you to find an older Thai person who has ever been out of his/her own country."

I think this is, sorry to say HT, a little too broad brushed a statement.

It surely depends what level of Thai society one hangs around with but from my personal group friends I know very few that have not been outside of LOS. In general you re correct tho... they are insular and IMHO most BG are quite boring...Yes there is always the exceptioonal valedictorian Thai Uni girl working at SC :: :: :: :):banghead::sleeping:

Lets get this straight: you're complaining about women not talking enough? :dunno:

How far can you go with any in-depth discussions in any relationship anyway? You'll soon know each others' opinions on everything. If you want challenges, that's what mates, colleagues and Internet boards are for! Partners are for fun and support.

Guest lazyphil

I could go on about the travelling, interests, conversations and general life I enjoy with the mrs but I've repeated myself here to the point even *I'm* bored of re reading it again :: :o....one new thing shes just in the middle of reading (in Thai) the biography of Queen Victoria and keeps popping questions about her, I've been googling alot!

HT,

I think people are more curious by nurture and not nature. We are products of our environment which means role models and support systems.

Thais have these but not in our ways and what are expectations are.

Any of us would inherently look and think like thais if we had been brought up in their culture...

From our perspective, Thais are just not intellectually curious, not driven by a sense to individually achieve for the sake of achievement and for learning for the learning of it..

Maybe part of the explanation is socio econ differences of the west and east as well as culturally differences. Probably a blend of both..

So their conversations will reflect their own cultural values and beliefs and really has to do with the lack of exposure and thrist for that exposure that can indeed become infectious.

And lastly, individual differences will also play a part as i have met a couple Thai girls who enjoy reading, exploring, continuous learning if and that is a big if they are given the chance by exposing them to things that their culture doesn't.

The problem lies in that one will only find girls by exception as the vast majority will represent the product of what their culture and environments want them to be and in turn are..

And that is why i think marrying a thai girl is a risky proposition. Compatibility can be found but one must look thoroughly or get extemely lucky.......

Cardinalblue

Having been educated by Jesuits, the intelligensia of the Catholic Church, having 2 Masters degrees and credits towards a third, having worked with and socialized with hightly educated people, my personal conclusion is that intellectual conversations not followed by action are of no value. Actually, less than that as they are a waste of time.

I think life is a matter of doing.

I have had a Thai girlfriend for several months. She is not very bright. I don't mean she is stupid but not highly intelligent. And, she probably has zero intellectual curiosity.

But, we do things together. Travel a little bit, go swimming, go to the movies, go for walks, go dancing, etc. And, she is a joy to be with. She has a good sense of humor, loves to have fun, is thoughtful and kind.

Our conversations revolve around our activities and I am not at all nostalgic for the times I spent in highly intellectual but ultimately meaningless conversations.

As Archie Bunker might say, intellectual conversations are only a fad anyway.

Archived