Icehockey WC 2005 in Austria

Mentors

obviously exciting for someone,that person who has made 18 consecutive posts in this thread......... :neener:

is this a record for one person in one thread? and will i be banned from the Board for butting in with a useless post and spoiling things?....... :spank:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALHOLK said:

It appears to me that Sweden has the easiest quarter final. :D

- On a good day, my team can beat every Smorebrod team. And today seems to be a good day :D

Relegation round, game from last night

Slovenia-Austria 6:2

It?s official. As a result of Wednesday's 6-2 Slovenian victory over Austria, the Austrians and Germans have been demoted to Division I while Denmark and Slovenia have stayed in the top division for play in Riga 2006.

The loss by Austria makes this the only time in IIHF World Championship history in which the host nation failed to win even a single game. The Austrians finished with five losses and one tie. This after failing to qualify for the 2006 Turin Olympics at the tournament this past February.

1. Denmark 4

2. Slovenia 4

-----------------

3. Germany 3 :troll:

4. Austria 1 :troll:

Results of the exciting QUARTERFINALS with official comments

RUSSIA - Finland 4:3 after Penalty

Russians show Finnish by winning shootout!

Maxim Afinogenov scored the game-winning goal in the shootout as Russia came from behind to beat Finland 3-2 Thursday night at the Wiener Stadthalle to advance to a semifinal game against Canada Saturday.

SWEDEN - Switzerland 2:1 :cussing:

Sweden advances with slim win over Switzerland!

"We never put any pressure on them all night," said Swiss captain Mark Streit. "In the end we came up short in terms of scoring the second goal."

The Swiss tried to press for the tying goal but to no effect. The game ended as most fans would have guessed, though by a slimmer margin than many might have expected ::

CZECHIA - USA 3:2 after Penalty

Just like last year's quarter-final, it came down to a one-on-one confrontation between Czech goalie Tomas Vokoun and USA defenseman Andy Roach. This time, however, Vokoun won the battle, and his Czech team grabbed a 3-2 shootout victory that puts them into the semi-finals.

CANADA - Slovakia 5:4

Thursday at the Olympiahalle, two champions past and present battled in what was perhaps the most thrilling game of the tournament in Innsbruck. Team Canada won 5-4 on a late third-period goal by Joe Thornton

The highlight of the period came when Robyn Regehr pulled down Palffy on a break and referee Thomas Andersson called for a penalty shot. Palffy tried going stick side but Brodeur extended his body across the goal and stopped the puck with his glove hand. It gave the Canadians a big boost.

Semi-Finals on Saturday ::

RUSSIA - CANADA :stirthepo

SWEDEN - CZECHIA :grouphug:

Hi!

game ended as most fans would have guessed, though by a slimmer margin than many might have expected

The kind of hockey that the Swiss played doesn't belong in the world cup. I.e. holding and hooking instead of playing hockey. If the referee had done his job properly the score would have been completely different. One comment on Swedish TV was that the Czechian referee had power over which team Czechia plays in the semi finals. :cussing::censored: :onfire:

regards

ALHOLK

ALHOLK said:

Hi!

game ended as most fans would have guessed, though by a slimmer margin than many might have expected

The kind of hockey that the Swiss played doesn't belong in the world cup. I.e. holding and hooking instead of playing hockey. If the referee had done his job properly the score would have been completely different. One comment on Swedish TV was that the Czechian referee had power over which team Czechia plays in the semi finals. :cussing::censored: :onfire:

regards

ALHOLK

The Swedish play is a going back to the not interesting Defence System, with them John Slettvoll bored the Swiss League for some years, of course fruitless.

Shure, the Swiss team has some limitations, but it is mostly more entertaining as the Swedish "shoot a goal and defence till to the final whistle" style.

And don't forget, the first goal made the Swiss team!

And that with the referee, c' mon, such lames we must listen often enough from another team sport. ;)

Super semi-finals lie ahead

Will the Russians get by Canada to compete for their first gold since 1993?

By Lucas Aykroyd

As if the drama of hosting two shootout finales wasn't enough, now the Wiener Stadthalle will witness the latest chapters being written in two of international hockey's classic rivalries in Saturday's two semi-finals. Tears will be shed and fists will be raised in triumph, as two teams receive a chance to achieve their golden dreams and the other two are sent off to chase a consolation cast in bronze.

Russia versus Canada: Since the Russians first beat Canada at the 1954 IIHF World Championship, this has become perhaps the greatest rivalry, not only in hockey history, but in all sports. The 1972 Summit Series, featuring Paul Henderson's final-minute winner in Game Eight, proved the Russians could play on an equal footing with the Canadian NHL pros. The Russians dominated the IIHF World Championships of the 1960's, 70's, and 80's, but lately it's been Canada who aspires to dynastic status.

Sweden and the Czech Republic haven't clashed at the Worlds since 2001

Of late, the Russians have not fared well against Canada in this tournament, losing 5-1 in the Preliminary Round on May 2 in Germany 2001 and dropping a 5-2 decision during the Qualifying Round in Finland 2003. But the sbornaja have been the most consistent team in Austria 2005, still unbeaten with just two victories separating them from gold.

Can young guns like Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Alexander Ovechkin find enough chinks in the armor of Canada's Martin Brodeur to get into the gold medal game? Or will the likes of Dany Heatley and Ryan Smyth step up alongside Joe Thornton and Rick Nash as the Canadians "put their game faces on" and march toward their shot at a third straight title?

Sweden versus Czech Republic: Without Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Mats Sundin, and Nicklas Lidstrom, Tre Kronor wasn't expected to do much in this tournament. But their reliance on a team concept has put them just one step away from cracking their third consecutive gold medal game, and scoring is coming from throughout the roster. Daniel Sedin, Henrik Zetterberg, and Henrik Lundqvist are proving that the next generation of Swedish stars will live up to and perhaps even surpass their predecessors in blue and yellow.

The Czechs found a way to get past the USA and now have their sights set on their first IIHF World Championship medal since 2001. And of course, nothing less than a return to gold is expected. Can Tomas Vokoun win another big game? Which of the Czech stars at forward, from Jaromir Jagr to Petr Sykora to Martin Rucinsky, will step up and take the lead offensively?

Traditionally, games between these two nations are tight, low-scoring affairs. They haven't met in IIHF World Championship competition since a dramatic 3-2 Czech victory via the shootout in the Germany 2001 semi-finals. It's very difficult to say which way this one will go, but only a complete blowout one way or another would be a huge surprise.

Hi!

I wasn't claiming that the Swedes played at their best because they weren't. Did you actually see the match. The Swiss were holding on the clubs and even wrestling with the Swedes in the goal area. When a Swede eventually lost his temper he got the penalty. Face it, Sweden and Switzerland don't belong in the same league. To bad that Sweden didn't have some of the NHL players that can play real dirty if they are forced to.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. I still think the referee was biased.

ALHOLK said:

Hi!

I wasn't claiming that the Swedes played at their best because they weren't. Did you actually see the match. The Swiss were holding on the clubs and even wrestling with the Swedes in the goal area. When a Swede eventually lost his temper he got the penalty. Face it, Sweden and Switzerland don't belong in the same league. To bad that Sweden didn't have some of the NHL players that can play real dirty if they are forced to.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. I still think the referee was biased.

The Suisse team was to weak after the Belarus game to beat Sweden.

Sweden was the high favorite and it will be it in the (near) future. But, when i'm not wrong, the Swiss Martin Pluess (Frölunda) was the 3rd best scorer in this years Swedish League. ::

I hope Sweden will not call again the referee guilty after the quite shure defeat against Czechia in the forth coming game tonight. ;)

Archived