Further proof that a Thai can sleep anywhere!

Thairath - March 1, 2005

The police got a report from Krungthon radio asking to check the alarm of Siam Commercial Bank. When they got there they found Mr. Narong Chuoisuk, 22 years old, sleeping with the stolen property, 3 watches, one pen and 2 screwdrivers and a blue bag. The police woke him up and took him to the police station. The robber said he worked in the factory but he lost his job when the factory closed so he came to rob the bank. This is the third time, but this time he is feel asleep after gathering the loot.

Any comment would be superfluous!

Cheers,

SD

PS - Thanks to 2Bangkok for the translation!

The balcony of my former apartment on Suk Soi 15 overlooked the construction site of an adjoining condo, where at least 100 Thais were employeed on the site.

At 11:30 each day, the lunch horn would sound, and many of them would gulp down their lunch of Khaaw Niaw (sticky rice) and assorted other food, and immediately slump into a sleep whatever pile of corrugated iron, scrap rebar, or lumps of wood happened to be under them in the searing sun, or on the edge of an open floor 20 meters above the ground!

They would not move again until 20-25 minutes later when the horn would resound for work to resume.

I envy the Thais ability to fall asleep so quickly, and sleep so soundly, in cars, buses, and airplanes.

This kind of stupidity doesn't happen only in Thailand. 15 years ago I owned business here in NY, a movie prop warehouse in midtown. I stopped by one Sunday to find a burglar asleep in my office! I called the cops and they woke him up. He seemed harmless enough until the police told me that he had been out of prison for only 3 days and that his cousin was wanted for assassinating a cop in a patrol car who was guarding a witness in a drug case. This guy was his usual partner. Anyway, the story here did bring back memories.

Archived