My first time in Bangkok

quote:

Originally posted by Shola:

I am 29, within a normal to above normal range of attractiveness, have all my hair and normal build without any fat (I work out).

I have always been skeptical about prostitution. I have never thought it should be illegal, but thought that it was sad that women had to sell their bodies to make a living ...That the women were somehow more volitional in their actions.

I also went to CPII...I couldn't stop thinking about what a horrible situation these women were in.

Shola, thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry you didn't have a good time. It's not for everybody for sure. My situation was quite similar (30 my first time with a thai girl, normal looks, sceptical of prostitution). Maybe the main difference was I already has spent a few months in Thailand before I ever laid foot in a girlie bar.

One thing I want to ask you to think about when you talk about the "horrible situation these women were in". Make no mistake that the girls you saw _choose_ to do what they do because they make good money doing it compared to their other options. And ask youself why it is that that of all the poor countries (of which Thailand is hardly the poorest), so many women in Thailand choose to become prostitutes. If women in Thailand have "to sell their bodies to make a living", then why is it that most women in most other poor contries don't feel this need? To be sure, some girls get into the business out of desparation, but you might be suprized how may choose prositution when they have perfectly acceptable alternatives available. By way of example, I know one (very cute) girl whose uncle sold some of his land to help put her through college, and now she works in a massage parlor serving wealthy Thais because she makes much more money this way than her degree would allow her to make.

shola.....

Enjoyed your report, and I certainly think the sunuk scene is an aquired taste. I wonder if the participants could be broadly divided into to types, those that hope to establish some kind deeper communion (ie. love??) and those that simply like to fuck. Personally I just wanna fuck, so much the better if the chick digs me (or, I suppose, just digs fucking). The latter will usually experience less conflict concerning whether, or how much a girl may like him.

In my own case, I enjoy hanging out with the girls, but I let it be known (via body language) soon enough, that I wanna be with a chick that wants to end the nights fun in a wild lovemaking session(s). To me, saddlin up at the end of the night is a logical conclusion to fun night of intoxication, eating, dancing, n' diddlin.

Sure, the more the chick digs ya, the better fun will be had by both.

My finances are pretty limited, so I will never buy a lady drink until I'm reasonabley confident that it will be a good investment, and are more likely to buy if they don't ask. I suggest you try the Thermea or some of the beer gardens, or late at night the Grace coffee shop (at Grace hotel). There's so, so, many chicks out there, but I think you have to be patient to meet a cool one. ALWAYS be prepared to cut your losses early, theres nothing worse than being strung along by a chick (read in another post earlier how sopme dude had bought drinks for a chick all night only to be told she had her monthly....real bad form). With experience you can eventually tell pretty quick if a chick is truly up for sanuk.The last four nights I've gone out and had a great time, and only fucked once. Sometimes I meet heapsa chics but it doesn't click. At your age you should find chics out there that will take an initial liking to you. It will then be up to you to sell yourself, so by the end of the night your maiden will want one thing.....you to fuck her senseless!

If your'e at a place like Grace or Thermea just mingle, you will always see lazy Issan girls taking full advantage of the most comfortable seats, never hesitate to kick'em off, and claim the seat. If you choose well, you can do this near a cutie and then start putting in some spadework. If no luck, just brush her and move on. I'm into freak watching, and enjoy watching dumb-ass farangs (like me) play the girlie game. If something acceptable straps on, get her outa there and into better light. Go get some food, but first drop into a 7-11 or familymart and get a beverage (don't mind buying a chick a 30B Singha, or if she's a real cutie a 69B Bacardi breezer). Even if your'e not a miser like me, I reckon it gives you street cred, lets her see your not a big spender, but are up for fun. It's a good walk from the Thermea to the grace at about two, plenty of streetwalkers about, but I tend to avoid them. Lotsa interesting stuff, see what she's up for, if you've got the money see if she wants her fortune told, this is fun, and they'll believe anything. Never hurts to buy her some 20B glowing trinket (this can later double as a sex toy). If you're on KSR get some 5B hippy wrist tie as a gift for that "special" girl......jing! jing! It's not a bad idea to take some food, something like kebabs and sticky rice, not to Thermea or Grace, but bb's and go-go are OK. It's just a bit of an ice breaker, and there'll always be some scantily clad hooker wanting to eat.

I agree that KSR is a better place to stay, it's a veritable zoo of social misfits. Biggest problem is finding a decent GH-hotel that is guest friendly (well in my price range anyway). For me it's worth the extra cost of commuting to the other side of town. Definately low brow though, and I'm always a little embarrassed to tell a chick i'm staying in Banglumpoo. If i've got money, my MO is head over to Sukhumwit about 8ish, soi cowboy and the Asoke bb's are an amusing few hours. Then the thermea later and then the Grace. Many times I've snared a gal then hit the short time Hotel at the end of Soi Cowboy about 4or 5am, 3 hours at 300B ain't bad value, AC, TV, towels (don't forget to drop by the 7-11 for more beverages, food, condoms ect.). Three hours in the saddle is usually enough for me. Usually back to my room at 7 or 8, for a well deserved kip. I've done this with heaps of chicks and never given any more than 500.

Jay-suz think i've just written the misers guide to sanuk!! Keep at it, and good luck.

cheers

dm (aka 1sicpuppee)

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: deadman ]

It wasn't all that bad. It was VERY interesting and taught me something about myself.

I think it is not necessarily love that I am after, but some kind of connection. A look in the woman's eyes that she really is being completely volitional... y'know?

As for the point that Worldwalker (?) made about the women choosing this line of work.... I agree (most of the time). However, I was specifically referring to CPII, where the woman would have no choice about who to go with. How terrible is would be to walk out from behind the glass and find some Jabba the hut character, or s+m Japanese guy. What would the sex be like? I get shivers just thinking about how the women would feel in that case.

Well, perhaps I will stop back in Bangkok on the way out and take another look, but probably not. I think if something fell in my lap... where there was something there besides business, the possibility of me doing something would be greater.

Anyway, hope everyone is having fun out there... smile.gif" border="0

Although I rarely go out in Bangkok without having a good time, though I am never actually looking for company, I do know what you mean about CP2. I went there for the first time last week with a first-time visitor, and although I liked the venue, and the no-hassle attitude of the staff, and the straightforward pricing system but ..... Most of my previous massage experiences have been at the Sabai trio in Pattaya where there was at least some interaction with the girls in the fishbowl, that at least I felt that I was only responding to interest being shown by them. At CP2, the fishbowl is so far from the seats where we were having a drink that several of our neighbours were using binoculars to check out the finer details and with quite a few people wandering about and peering through the glass, I really don't think the girls had any idea who their likely customers were going to be. I don't suppose they have any less choice than in most places but at least in some they can exercise some control by making it clear that they are NOT interested in someone who might be smiling or waving or obviously showing an interest.

As it was I chose a pleasant unspectacular looking girl who I think may have belonged to the 'newbie' group but I wasn't sure where exactly it started. What followed was the most disappointing couple of hours I have ever spent in a massage parlour with a girl who clearly was not in love with her work (or me!!). The bath was nice enough but everything else was done with an alarming lack of anything vaguely resembling enthusiasm.

Maybe she had had a very busy day, maybe she had just had to shag Jabba, or just had a lot on her mind, but in the end I was very happy that I had paid the extra B60 for the VIP room so that I was able to watch Liverpool's destruction of Leeds.

Clearly a tip was not appropriate and there wasn't a murmur of dissent! Strange evening really and I certainly would not discount going back there in the future for the reasons I mentioned early on and the fact that so many other people have reported very favourable experiences there.

LG

Does anyone else get a sense of deja vu reading Shola's post?

It takes some time to get over the shock, Shola, but it can turn around. You need some time to settle down and have a few more experiences before you get used to it and realise your bearings and what it's really like.

The first time in Thailand I got out of Bangkok quickly too and headed down to Phuket. I had been completely turned off by the whole scene in Bangkok too, so I was just soaking up the sun in the day and downing a few beers at night. I was joking around with the local bar-girls - nothing more than that, until, one night, I relented, under pressure, to take home a girl who liked me. I didn't really know what I was going to do with her..

Got home, just slept. Woke up. Sleepy. Hugged and held and touched and slept again, through most of the day. When we finally got up to go out, she informed me that she'd like to stay with me, no money, no "boom-sing". Um, I thought - that's a new experience - I'll take it.

I stayed with her for a month. I was kind of ccurious about what would happen. How did she live? What was her life like? Would she try to rip me off at some later point?

She stayed with me for a month until I went home. No money, no rip-offs. (The no sex thing went though wink.gif" border="0 )

Well, that was how me and Thailand got hitched, anyway crazy.gif" border="0

Later, I got used to Bangkok (although it's usually a bit more hardcore) and I've had many happy experiences there too. Just go out, relax and let things happen. You've hardly started.

I have been frequenting this board for about 2 months (in addition to the Lonely Planet sites) trying to prepare for my first trip to Bangkok. My first few days were solo, and I had planned on checking out the "scene" before my friends (both die-hard feminists) got here.

I am 29, within a normal to above normal range of attractiveness, have all my hair and normal build without any fat (I work out).

I have always been skeptical about prostitution. I have never thought it should be illegal, but thought that it was sad that women had to sell their bodies to make a living. However, after reading the entries and their attached enthusiasm, I thought it would be different in Thailand. That the women were somehow more volitional in their actions.

I arrived on Friday at 1:30a.m. Got scammed by the cab driver. (Someone on this board had recommended going past the main taxi terminal and to the outside street in order to save the "airport taxi fare". I took this advices. As I was almost inside the cab a policeman started yelling at the guy. The cab driver and I rushed in the cab, and I was too frazzled to check to see if the meter was on. By the time I realized the meter wasn't on, we were on the highway... great. I said, "How much?" He says $500. I say no way $300 (though still too much) we settled at four.)

My hotel was the Majestic, which had satifactory facilities: clean; friendly; modestly priced. the intersection of Sukimvit (sp?) and Nana was insane. Women offering themselves to men, little kids pushing flowers, some guy selling waffle irons???, and a ton of white guys.

I was excited and wanted to get out there, but thought that I would get a good night's sleep and start in the morning. Got up, went to Panthip (closed by police), looked for Hollywood IT (had difficulty locating it, though I eventually did and they had all the software you could shake a proverbial stick at), ate wetern food (of which I have been deprived for 2 years living in Taiwan), shopped and got an idea for prices, etc.

As recommended by someone on the board - it was Friday and I went to Woodstock at 7:00. It was dead. Four depressed looking guys and three waitresses rebuffing their invitations to meet after work. After one beer, about 7:45, I went to Midnite on Soi Cowboy. (I won't go into the details as to the extent of their attire, but other reports on the board reflect accurately.) As soon as I entered I was attacked by an overweight waitress. She stole my cigarettes and hat and made me buy her a drink before she would give them back. The women there were not attractive. The only woman who was attractive had stretch marks from giving birth (but she couldn't have been more than 19). No one spoke English past the preliminary niceties. Query: how can a person have sex with someone they cannot communicate with (don't give me any of this international language stuff)? After a drink and looking at women, I left. Just wasn't my thing. I need communication.

I went to Soi 33, Dali. Although pricier, the women spoke English fairly well and were friendly. After a few drinks and a game of pool with two of the women, I barfined one (IMHO the prettiest one there) to see what would happen (though I still hadn't decided how I would handle myself in the moment of truth). She seemed marginally happy that I barfined her. I asked her what she wanted to do. Her reply, "Whatever you want to do." I told her that I didn't know, this was my first time here, and that any suggestions would be welcomed. She again said, "Whatever you want to do." We went back and forth like this for about 15 minutes. Finally, we settled on going to NanaPlaza. She had only been once or twice and was interested. We chatted a lot, about where she was from, her 8 year old kid, how she really didn't like this job, etc. I pried a lot. I am a naturally curious person, and I am sure that someone less inquistive and less neurotic would have had a much better time with her (not knowing the details of her life - though this is not to say she presented it as a sob story).

Anyway we went to Voodoo. The body paint (which I have never been into) was really beautiful. The women knew how to move and it has probably been the most erotic thing I saw in Bangkok so far. The girl I was with seemed to enjoy it. We went back to my room so I could put on proper dancing footwear and we headed to Nanadisco.

Nanadisco is surreal. All these men with prostitutes sitting mute. The girls mostly looking bored and uncomfortable (a kind of classroom boredom) with really unattractive older men who they couldn't possible be attracted to in any way. If someone is unattractive AND you can't communicate, what else is there? There was one guy in particular. He must have weighed in at 300 pounds He had the strangest double chin I have ever seen... It was like Jabba the Hut without the chin wrinkles. In other words his chin was this smooth inverted slope that seamlessly meshed with his face. He was with a tiny 18 year old Thai girl.

Anyway, I bought the girl I was with all the drinks she wanted and danced a bit. She ground into my crotch in a slow counterclockwise motion completely off beat. It was amusing to watch the other people there. We left before 2 and headed back to my room. She asked me what I wanted to do. I told her whatever she wanted to do. That if she didn't want to stay, she shouldn't. She called her sister and said that she wanted to stay, but wanted to go visit with her sister and a friend who was visiting from the south. She invited me, I declined. She left and said she would call me later. I gave her $500 for hanging out and she didn't call back. It would have been finished there, however, she left her ID (which she had given to me before NanaDisco so she could leave her purse in my room).

I brought the ID back to Dali the next night. I was going to leave my number, but didn't. She was nice and attractive, but she obviously didn't like me... at least not enough to call me back.

I also went to CPII, but walked out. It was a bit horrible. All these girls behind the glass and all these 50 year old Japanese men laughing and comparing and choosing. I couldn't stop thinking about what a horrible situation these women were in.

Anyway, I have relocated myself to Kho San Road until my friends arrive. It is more tolerable here. The people, though falling into predictable stereotypes, are not horrible to be around. I am looking forward to getting out of Bangkok.

I am not really making any judgments on those who enjoy the scene here. So far, it just hasn't been my thing. I think that I am too insecure and need to have my ego petted, to know that the woman really really likes me and wants to sleep with me. Perhaps I am just unable to let up enough to have fun. I am not sure what the problem was.

One more thing. I would have preferred to go out en masse as opposed to solo. At least then you could have made remarks about it all.

Perhaps more later.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions during the last two months.

quote:

Originally posted by Shola:

I arrived on Friday at 1:30a.m. Got scammed by the cab driver. (Someone on this board had recommended going past the main taxi terminal and to the outside street in order to save the "airport taxi fare". I took this advices. As I was almost inside the cab a policeman started yelling at the guy. The cab driver and I rushed in the cab, and I was too frazzled to check to see if the meter was on. By the time I realized the meter wasn't on, we were on the highway... great. I said, "How much?" He says $500. I say no way $300 (though still too much) we settled at four.)

It would have been finished there, however, she left her ID (which she had given to me before NanaDisco so she could leave her purse in my room).

I can understand getting a cab at the arrival dropoff if a long line at the cab stand. But what do you save doing it this way? 50THB? (IF you hadn't gotten ripped off).

I remember the first girl I BF in BKK. Left something in my room (don't remember what) and I saw her the next day (and night) to return. As she left the next day she left something else but I noticed it before she left. Next girl I BF left a gold (?) necklace. Went back to give it to her. After that I began checking every time a BG left in the morning. More than half the time they have left something. A good way for them to ensure they will see you again. I am wise to this now tho. Strange, this has only happened to me in BKK.

Don't think that was the case for you. They wouldn't leave their ID card. And if that was the plan she would have called. No need for you to leave your number. If you gave 500THB to a Soi 33 girl, I am not surprised you didn't hear from her (even if you had wanted to).

For sure BKK and it's BGs are not for everyone. Or maybe just not for you that night. There have been nights when I go out in BKK and just really don't want the company of girls or drink or everything associated. OK, well it hasn't actually happened. But it could. Couldn't it?

Sorry you felt that way dude. I actually was ready for the grimy feel of that dark dank city. Kind of like New York. I fell in instant love. Cant wait to travel the rest of SE Asia. One thing might be for you to see the city for a while get a girl who really likes you and tell her to take you to her pad or somewhere outside of the main areas of Bangkok, that is how I really fell in love with the city.

Mykal

Definitely can understand your experiences. This can be a fun place or a very depressing place. Often both.

Are you talking about this past Friday at Woodstock? I got there at 7:10 and we had to occupy two booths. I was shocked at the number of people who were early! A whole bunch of us were at Woodstock till past 9pm. Bunch of people playing pool. A lot more than four people in the place when I was there.

Given your experiences and your reflections, the LAST place you want to go for fun is the Grace or the Thermae. Interesting to go there to observe though!

If you do get to bangkok on your way out, post that you'd like to meet up for some beers or something or send a private to expat posters who you enjoy reading.

<<burp>>

I think the girls sensed you were tense and revolted by the scene. In order to have a good time it is not only the attitude of the girls but also your attitude.

Bring a snack or stickers or whatever to the bar for the girls. BF a girl and a couple of her friends and let them take you to a karaoke place. You will have a blast. cool.gif" border="0

Archived