opposite way of love

Mentors

THE NATION

Published on March 16, 2005

Lovesick Thai man eager to take wings to see his beloved; British embassy not so keen

Every single night for two months, Pratheep Janthamanee has gazed fondly at a woman’s photo placed beside his bed. The woman in the picture is back home now, half the globe away in England, yet he prays they will be reunited soon.

If they are, the media is sure to be there.

Pratheep, a 30-year-old rock-climbing instructor in Krabi, gained overnight fame recently following newspaper reports in the UK and Thailand about his dramatic love affair with Naomi Bowman, a 21-year-old student at Oxford University.

Bowman told the Mail on Sunday of her plans to return to Thailand and marry Pratheep, whom she had met on vacation shortly before the tsunami, which swept her away while she was staying on Koh Phi Phi. She suffered broken ribs and extensive gashes and cuts all over her body. She was operated on six times. As she lay anaesthetised in a hospital bed, the Thai man would feed her, dress her wounds, and keep her company throughout her ordeal.

For Pratheep it was love at first sight as he recalled during yesterday’s recording of “Joh Jai” (Getting into the Heart), a popular talk show, on TV Channel 5.

About a week before the tsunami, Pratheep was performing a stunt show at a local bar when he spotted Naomi in the audience. “She was the only woman in the audience I looked in the eye. She smiled at me and gave me a big round of applause,” Pratheep explained.

“When I finished my routine, I introduced myself to her and we had a nice chat over some drinks. We would meet every day after that right until the tsunami,” he said.

Not long after they met, he decided to tell Naomi about his burgeoning love for her.

“She said, ‘It’s too quick. Let’s just be friends,’” he recalled.

Pratheep said Naomi was reading on a beach when the tsunami struck. Once the waters receded, he started frantically looking for her. He then broke into her hotel room to collect her belongings and important documents.

It took him three days to learn that she was lying in hospital with severe injuries in a hospital in the neighbouring province of Songkhla. “When I saw her, I could hardly recognise her,” he remembered. “She had wounds all over body.”

For the next two weeks, Pratheep would nurse his “Mali” (Jasmine) - the Thai name he gave to Naomi - back to health almost non-stop. “I did virtually everything a nurse would,” he said. “I really love her. And I love her not only when she’s beautiful but also when she’s disfigured with wounds.”

Then Pratheep got a wonderful New Year gift from Naomi. The words: “I love you so much!”

Soon, however, the woman was sent back to England in what Pratheep described as a tearful leave-taking for both of them. Ever since they have been in close touch through distant calls and SMS and e-mail messages.

He said Naomi always called him wan jai (sweetheart).

Pratheep said he was hoping to travel to Oxford, to take care of the recovering Naomi in her home. He applied for a visa at the British Embassy for the third time on Monday after both his previous applications were rejected. Perhaps he will be luck the third time.

On that note, Krabi deputy governor Thirathep Sriyaphan said yesterday that if the couple so wished, provincial authorities would be happy to organise their wedding ceremony.

Krabi and other tsunami-battered provinces would all benefit from the story of great love forged in adversity, he explained.

watch the pic

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

Mentors said:

... About a week before the tsunami, Pratheep was performing a stunt show at a local bar when he spotted Naomi in the audience. “She was the only woman in the audience I looked in the eye. She smiled at me and gave me a big round of applause,” Pratheep explained. ...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

The show: first he licked his eyebrows.

Then he beat out a tune by slapping his knees- with his dick!

Pratheep explained, "I'm not gay. Really, I'm not. It's just that, well, you know, it's a faaabulous club and it gives me a chance to express the inner and outer me. Besides, she was the only girl in the audience. Men are so, you know, YUCKY."

Uh huuuh. :)

Khun_Kong said:

The show: first he licked his eyebrows.

Then he beat out a tune by slapping his knees- with his dick!

Pratheep explained, "I'm not gay. Really, I'm not. It's just that, well, you know, it's a faaabulous club and it gives me a chance to express the inner and outer me. Besides, she was the only girl in the audience. Men are so, you know, YUCKY."

Uh huuuh. :)

OH-

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :)

AAHHH. The article mentions, the ONLY woman he made EYE contact with, the same tactic employed during my tour guide days. Easy pickings. Since, however, they have already passed the richer or poorer and in sickness and health measure, and with the potential for this love story to capture national attention, maybe this board could act as a mediatory. Lazy Phil to deliver fresh-cut tulips on the first day of Spring?

sadly, I dont think the poor sod has a chance of a Visa. Here in the Uk just about every govt organisation is scsred stiff of being accused of institutional racism, doesn't seem to worry those based overseas..... could I possibly be refering to the Visa people in the Bangkok Embassy?

Immigration is a weird thing. Here in the USA, it is difficult for a young Asian girl to get a visa, yet we let Iraquis in here, even when we are at war with them, same same Muslim men from "countries known to harbor terrorists..." All bullshit I say! Give my girl a visa so I can get laid and be happy...

Archived