Motorbike swap plan to cut down pollution

elef

Motorbike swap plan to cut down pollution

Scheme to phase out two-stroke engines

KULTIDA SAMABUDDHI

Leading motorcycle manufacturers and the Pollution Control Department have jointly launched a motorcycle swap project aimed at improving Bangkok's air quality and saving fuel.

Under the project, owners of over 10-year-old, two-stroke motorcycles can trade their polluting bikes for a new four-stroke motorcycle, which consumes less gasoline and emits smaller amounts of air pollutants than the two-stroke vehicle.

Piti Manomaiphibul, managing-director of Tigar Motorsales Co Ltd, said the two-stroke engine consumed about 100 litres of fuel a month, while a four-stroke bike used only 42 litres.

Motorcyclists in Bangkok drive an average of 2,000 kilometres a month.

A rough company study had found that two-stroke motorcycle drivers were spending up to 2,100 baht on gasoline and about 1,500 baht for maintenance a month, while the four-stroke drivers spent only 1,300 baht a month, he said.

Mr Piti's company, producer of Tiger motorcycles, will become the first manufacturer to join the swap project that would be launched at the March 25-April 3 Motor Show. ''Motorcyclists wanting to dispose of their 10-year-old two-stroke bikes will enjoy a free down payment, worth 7,500 baht, for a new 50,000-baht Tiger motorcycle,'' said Mr Piti.

Buyers would also enjoy low-interest rates on monthly instalments.

Pollution Control chief Apichai Chvajarernpun said of the more than 100,000 two-stroke bikes in the city, only around 20% were still in use.

He said the two-stroke engine was a major contributor to the city's air pollution. The vehicle's toxic hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions were 20 times higher than the four-stroke engine.

''A large number of Bangkokians suffer from respiratory problems because of these old motorbikes that were not roadworthy anymore. Getting rid of these dangerous vehicles should be a priority,'' Mr Apichai said.

Leading motorcycle manufacturers Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda, and many financial institutions, also plan to join the scheme, he said, adding intitially the department hoped to put 10,000 two-stroke motorcycles in safer hands.

''This is a very attractive scheme. Not only will the motorcyclists get a new energy-saving and environmental-friendly vehicle, motorcycle dealers will also see an increase in sales, and the city people enjoy a cleaner air,'' he said.

Bangkok Post

I've come to really deplore tuk-tuks. My street is thankfully extremely low traffic as some folks keep it a "dead end". But my short walk to the corner food stalls has a lot of tuk-tuks and the fumes they admit are astronomical.

Whoever came up with this idea (assuming it was Tiger) I hope they get a decent % because Tiger is going to take this to the bank in a HUGE way. Good timing too, I'm sure they can use the money for China expansion!

<<burp>>

elef said:

''Motorcyclists wanting to dispose of their 10-year-old two-stroke bikes will enjoy a free down payment, worth 7,500 baht, for a new 50,000-baht Tiger motorcycle,'' said Mr Piti.

OK, so 500B for an old clunker gets you 7500 B return on downpayment :up: Although I don't really know the value of the Tiger brand.

elef said:

Buyers would also enjoy low-interest rates on monthly instalments. adding intitially the department hoped to put 10,000 two-stroke motorcycles in safer hands.

WTF does that mean? Safer hands?

The eminent demise of the tuktuk has been predicted for a very long time. There was even a law passed at one point banning the manufacture of new ones. Came to nought.

Think it was nervous dog who told me how much of a cash cow the motorcycle shops are.

(in this case, Tiger)

With a low down payment, the Thais will sign up for financing at huge rates of interest. The bike shop will go to a finance company and trade the cashflow in for cash. Given the huge rate of interest the cash they will receive will be the selling price of the bike. Bike shop is happy, he gets his money now. Financing company is happy, they are getting such a high rate of interest, screw the default rates. They got to be huge to lose money.

Oh, loved your comment in the bargirl sign language thread, lol. I've had way to many experiences with all the different hand signals from bg's who don't like my "no" to lady drinks :)

Thankfully I've never been slapped (at least for not buying drinks :) )

<<burp>>

Hi,

"This leaves Somsak from Surin with only another 42,500 baht to come with."

But he does not have to pay that money *today* and he *is* getting a new bike *today*.

Most Thais are not really that concerned about what will happen tomorrow or god forbid the day after that :)

Sanuk!

Archived