Pasengers refuse to board Phuket Air flight

pe7e

Flashermac said:

THE NATION

FAULTY AEROPLANES: UK clips Phuket Air's wings

9 Apr 2005

After one too many scares, UK transport agency inspects jets and discover faults

Marie Prince, Phuket Air's British spokeswoman, said she had been unable to obtain any information from the airline's senior managers.

"I have no idea what is going on because they are not returning my calls. I haven't had any information since 3pm yesterday, yet I have had 85 calls from journalists," she said.

:: :: ::

I wonder if Marie Prince is still working at Phuket Air - certainly sounds like she is pretty peeved off at the lack of communication from her management team and she is the spokesperson for the airline.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I may have been on the same flight as you, was it in febuary.

We stalled on the run way at Bangkok. Took about 5 mins to get the engines started.

When we eventually took off at what seemed like a take off speed of 50 miles an hour we stayed at a really low altitude for ages.

I honestly thought we were done for. The landings were appalling.

A shame as the staff were nice.

I vowed to never fly with them again when I got back safely.

STH

Don't worry. There is going to be a probe...

Ministry launches probe into Phuket Air after 24-hour delay

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Transport today promised to launch a probe into a budget airline, Phuket Air, following a 24-hour delay in a flight from Bangkok to London which left over 400 passengers stranded this morning.

The seriousness with which the ministry is treating the matter was highlighted by the response this morning of Deputy Transport Minister Phumtham Vejjayachai, who immediately convened a meeting of Phuket Air executives and officials from the Department of Aviation.

Speaking after the meeting, Mr. Phumtham said that he had ordered the department to closely inspect all of the airline?s fleet this afternoon.

Over the past month, the airline?s planes have malfunctioned on three occasions.

This morning?s incident was blamed on a hydraulics failure.

Mr. Phumtham said that he had also ordered a meeting with representatives from all the nation?s airlines, including budget airlines, for tomorrow when the airlines will be told to rigorously follow safety procedures.

According to Phuket Air's deputy chief executive, Capt. Chawanit Jiemcharoenwut, four of the airline?s craft which had been sent for maintenance in Indonesia have not yet been returned for service on schedule, while the airline has another two aircraft which need repair work.

As a result, the airline has only two aircraft in working order.

--TNA 2005-04-11

I'll say it again! All these low cost carriers cut costs any and everyway they can, to ensure you save that critical $10-20usd...you get what you pay for! If thecurrent trend continues (out sourcing work to low paying, UN LICENSED! repair facilities, facilities which here in the USA hired undocumented workers (aka illeagle immigrants) from "hostile nations with forged licenses etc... ), you will see an industry ripe with problems! But hey, why should we get a raise if You can save a few bucks..? Consumers better wake the fuck up fast! Pay the little extra and fly on a safe airplane with a carrier that doesn't skimp on your safety...damned I'm wound up now...

Nok Air (domestic service only) is owned by Thai Airways. My Mrs flew them to Chiang Mai and said it was a Thai Airways plane! (Thai) Air Asia is jointly owned by Thaksin and reasonably well maintained. Nok Air was actually formed in response to Air Asia. (Not many countries where the PM could get away with starting an airline to compete with the national carrier.)

I'd beware of most others though. My wife flew some small airline -- forget which one -- from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. She said the plane rattled and creaked the whole way!

::

• 3 weeks later...

01 Mei 2005 15:07

Nog 120 toeristen vast in Bangkok

HILVERSUM Ruim 120 Nederlanders zitten nog een dag vast in Bangkok. Ze reisden met Phuket Air, maar die maatschappij mag niet meer landen in Nederland.

De landingsrechten van Phuket Air zijn gisteren ingetrokken, omdat de inspectie tekortkomingen constateerde. Een vlieger had bijvoorbeeld voor vertrek nog geen geldige medische verklaring.

Touroperator TUI regelt het vervoer van de vastzittende reizigers. Dat gaat niet snel, zegt het bedrijf. Veel mensen zijn met vakantie en daardoor zijn er weinig vrije stoelen beschikbaar. Ook is het niet gelukt een vliegtuig te huren om de Nederlanders terug te halen.

And now for the english version:

Found this English version on another forum:

With immediate effect the Dutch Inspection for Traffic and Waterways (the Dutch equivalent of the FAA) banned Phuket Air from using Dutch airports and thus revoked all landing rights to/from The Netherlands. The ban follows a check of yesterdays flight where the inspectors discovered that a pilot who was to operate AMS-BKK didn't have his medical papers and a warning a few weeks ago when there were some questions regarding the safety of Phuket Air. As a result 165 Dutch tourists are stranded in BKK and tour operators will have to seek alternatives.

Source: NOS Teletekst

Shit.

junglesoup said:

Everyone was looking at each other,including the cabin crew. All of us were abit worried. In the end we took off and everything went ok, aprt from the unscheduled stop off in Dubai.

Actually, Dubai is not totally "unscheduled", as I have been informed that Phuket Air often stops there for re-refueling when west-bound and heavy headwinds are encountered. The same stop is not required when inbound to BKK. Same, same with flights leaving the U.S. for Asia. Although shown as "non-stops", headwind conditions sometimes require flights to make refueling stops in Anchorage, Alaska.

Hugh (mak)

Archived