FLIGHT QUANDRY

sayjann

shygye said:

What fare class are your tickets? I know most EU airlines will not let you standby for international flights UNLESS you have a high fare class. Discount econo tickets just won't cut it.

Here is Asia, I have NEVER been denied standby on even the most discounted of tix. Last time was on a trip to Oz in December 2004 where I paid B20K for a tix -- normally discounted econ is B27K. No trouble at all doing the standby thing, even with checked bags, even on a pretty full flight.

I think that not allowing standby on any ticket is pretty shitty customer service (especially if one only has a carry on bag) since you are not asking for any favour really. You want to sit in a seat that is going where you are ticketed to go. You are not putting anyone out, not asking anything more than for what you paid. And it frees up a seat for the airline to sell on your regularly scheduled flight. A win-win situation really.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole flight info here sounds off:

Deeply discounted fares can be changed and are all the time! Mainly, you are charged a fee.

The only time I've heard of loss of ticket is on Thai. I've bought tickets to and from Chang Mai that are only good for the day and tmie given and no change is allowed.

Or,

When United Airlines books award travel on Thai. In this case you can not change dates after travel has begun. If you miss your flight you do not get another ticket...you have to buy one!

What might have happened is the deeply discounted fare Sayjann bought was a ticket the discounter used miles for! This is why no change can occur...maybe!

SkiBum

No the info isnt off. Its relevant for UK or EU issued tickets though

I fly to BKK on Sunday. Its an economy ticket on Thai costing £380 the ticket states specifically "No cancellations , refunds or changes allowed" Thats one of the reasons the ticket is cheap. If I want one that can be changed it will cost me about £60 extra

But like I said before if one goes into the Thai office in BKK and smiles sweetlt and if the flight isnt full then sometimes they will allow a change. But you cant demand or expect it.

interesting.

i fly with Thai for around the same price and with the same conditions as you stated.

when i rang Thai i was not told that i might be able to change for a fee.

i would willingly pay the extra £60 to change my flight home and extend my stay for 3-4 Days.

i was told that if i wanted to change i would have to buy another one-way ticket back to the UK.

but as that cost more than a return ticket this is not an option.

but as i said before i will wait until i get to BKK to see what i can do.

and does anyone know the answer to my earlier question.

is the main Office open on a Saturday?.

thanks BB.

as i am only in BKK for 3 Days at the moment the Saturday was my only free Day so to speak(only a trip to Edens planned).

if i can't do anything before i get to BKK it's good to know that i will have the opportunity to try one last time at Thai's Offices.

Archived