Flower Girl Arrested in Hotel!

Just thought you'd like to know aboutt this. It was in yesterdays Thai Rak newspaper complete with photos. One of the young ladies who haunts Nana Plaza striking mournful poses and selling flowers was busted in a local hotel for going short time for 2,000 Baht. This is the very same charming young lady who, qhite literally, bit the hand of one of the bar owners who was attempting to evict her from his premises.

I never know what to do with these kids. If I ignore them I feel bad and, I know, that if I give them some money or buy their flowers it just goes to some Fagan hovering in the background. And if I spend too much on them they'll be two more beside her tommorrow.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. Same girl. Had a job very briefly at one of the bar beers in Nana (Forget which one) a month ago but kept telling everybody she was a pro now and after several of her former flower customers complained to managementabout her age, she was dropped like a hot potato and back on the flower circuit.

Wow, 2,000 baht ST and she is only 13! Did they nail a guy/farang with her too?

nepfan, I have probably had this lady come up to me at one time or another. I used to be a sucker for these kids buying all kinds of crap. But, that was until I had my pocket picked at the beer bar in front of Voodoo. The little urchin reached in and got my bills (small bills fortunatately, but still more than 1,000 baht) that I kept in a money clip - I keep 500s and 1,000s, if I have them in a wallet.

Since then I have nothing to do with any of these kids no matter how cute/forlorn they look. And, I am sure it has been brought up here before that the money they make usually goes to just some creep anyway rather than them.

But, I am still amazed by 2,000 baht for a ST.

Talk about depressing!!! The amazing thing is that, to many people, its no big deal. Just another Bangkok tragedy. I hope someone else can post the story or at least confirm that the guy who was raping her (statutory) got pinched as well. Prostitution has been around and will be along for as long as humanity exists, and to my view should be legal everywhere, but this is just wrong. Onward to cheerier subjects! Chicago Dave

The guy probably received the excuses from the police and the whole TAT staff, for falling victim to the devious trick of a treacherous 13 Y.O. out to give her country a bad name. Makes me sick! Reminds me of the time they clamped down heavily on abortion: women caught went to jail, but the doctors were not importuned. I also wonder if any of you is surprised that a child working around prostitution joints would eventually join the trade? Ah, yes: Freedom of choice!

(apologies for feeling a bit cynical this morning)

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

Yeah, my wife told me about it. The girl is all of 13 according to the paper.

One of the Golden Beerbar girls mentioned it to me a while ago already that at least one of the girls was selling more than flowers.

Sanuk!

I heard most of these street urchins are not only poor illegal cambodians but that the whole scam is a racket and that most likely, the poor things get battered if they don't bring enough income. No protection for them. What is your take on that? Kindly

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

I heard most of these street urchins are not only poor illegal cambodians but that the whole scam is a racket and that most likely, the poor things get battered if they don't bring enough income. No protection for them. What is your take on that? Kindly

The girls in Nana are, indeed, Cambodian. In fact, they have been deported a couple times and popped back up in days. However, this is not a Cambodian thing. It was in the local papers not long ago that young Thai children were being sold and then, intentionally, crippled and exported to India as beggars. This is not a Cambodian or Thai drama but a play unfolding on a much larger stage.

I know the Flower Girls in Nana report to the roly-poly Thai woman who sells amulets in the bars. I know she gets a serious portion of their income. But,I don't know the relationship; Family, purchased, indentured or whatever. I know the parents are aware of what is happening and share in the money. Maybe it's time I asked around and found out some more.

A couple weeks ago, at the Siam train station, I was accosted by a young boy about 9 selling, I can't recall what. I looked around and saw a young girl about the same age also selling stuff. Nearby squatted a young dumpy Isaan mother, clearly ignorant of any other world than how to earn the next meal and make more babies, nursing yet a third child, pretending she didn't have anything to do with the tykes, but following every move of the children with the circumspect eyes of a Hawk.

My inclination was to go over and punch her out and tell her what a useless human being she was or, even, tell her to come to Nana plaza that night and start work cleaning one of the bars or toilets for 4,000 Baht per month. In short, I was really pissed.

But, I did nothing. I am sure she was makes more off her kids than I could pay her for honest wages. I can blame the system for her ignorance, but I can't blame her. She doesn't know any better. She will teach her children the same lessons she learned from her mother as a child. Go for the money to buy food tomorrow.

It's easy to be critical of Thailand, in this respect. But the same situation exists in South Central Los Angles and other parts of the United States...Ignorance, bad education and bad parenting breeding gangs, drug dealers, prejudice and drive-by shootings. So, in the words of Eric Clapton, "Take a look at yourself" before jumping on thailand.

This is one of the frustrations I have with Thailand, the country I love. The bad jobs pay good and the good jobs pay bad. A moderately successful Bar Girl makes 50,000 -60,000 Baht per month. An entry level lawyer makes 18,000 per month. If I had a Thai daughter, I do and she is 16, my advice would be "finish college or I'll break your neck and then do whatever you want, but I have no problem if you go to work in Nana"

But, back to the three kids in Siam Station What future will those three kids have? And, more importantly, what can I, as a guy that makes more money than I can spend, has moderate influence and some power do to help these kids? Damned if I know. It makes me want to cry....or drink.

As to the Flower Urchins of Nana. Don't waste tears on them. I've watched these girls work. Maybe they were young once, but at 9 and 13 they are far past innocense and, quite frankly, much harder than most of their older peers in Nana. The 13 year old that was busted has been sporting a mobile phone for months and expertly fielding calls from customers hourly.

It is too late to feel sorry for them. If I were the policeman I would let the John go with an apology and, I have no idea what I would do about the girl; Prosecute to the max...or adopt them and put them in school...I don't know.

This is a very sad situation and I can't figure out who the bad guy is. The ignorant illiterate mother, the ignorant uneducated father who abandoned them long ago because he couldn't support his family (and was abandoned himself as a child). The girl who never had a chance to start with. The farang who never knew what hit him, the Fagan who only is trying to stop the same thing from happening to her own family, the government who can't afford a safety net for poor people, the bar owner who lets them sell in his bar (John, aka Boss Hog of Big Dogs and Lucky Lukes fame still has a scar on his left hand where the 13 year old bit him as he was trying to eject her form his bar, or the policemen who, the same as me, can't figure out who the bad guy is.

There must be somebody out there smarter than me who can straighten me out. I'm sure as hell at at a loss.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

I find it hard to believe one would think a good scam to go From Thailand to India for the purpose of begging.There are already so many crippled there, and the givings are pittances. Indians are so much more fatalistic than thais, the sight of misery is not a big wallet opener. It would be like selling my business in SF, and go to Mexico to start it again there. IMO

Archived