TG logic?

thai3

I had planned to get hitched in August as the GF was pregnant but she lost it early so I think no rush and Dec will be better. GF says this is no good as Dec is not this year but next year??? How can this be, I thought thai new year was from one songkran to another. She goes on that a monk told her years ago that she would get married to a much older man when she was 31 and she will be next month, so she wants to get married this year, apparently though Dec would not be this year :: :: ::-peter

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] she will be next month, so she wants to get married this year, apparently though Dec would not be this year -peter

[/color]

Never heard such thing and I would love to know why Dec. is NOT this year. Does she use some other calendar that we never heard about?

Whatever it is, IMO, it is not logic.

Jasmine

I've heard my wife talk about this before. Here is a couple of things I found on the subject:

"It is probable that the ancient Thai people based their lunar calendar on the yearly agricultural cycle as the most important aspect of their agrarian society. The first month of the lunar year was the month in which they began tilling the soil as that determined people's fortunes for the rest of the year the month was called Deuan Ai, which coincided with November or December of the western calendar. The ancient Thais most likely completed the agricultural cycle after the last month of the lunar year, Deuan Sip Sohng, which occurs in late October or early November of the western calendar and coincides with the bulk of the traditional rice harvest."

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/traditional_lunar_calendar.html

"Today in many of the rural villages of Thailand, farmers continue to celebrate their New Year according to the old calendar, that is, at the end of November, despite the fact that the New Year is now in April, which is in the 5th lunar month of the old calendar."

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/origins_of_songkran.html

Hi,

Thailand is multi-cultural and multi-ethnic so we have influences and traditions which vary a lot.

Compare it with the leap day's placement in february - the reason of course was that the roman new year started on march 1st.

elef

One thing to keep in mind. Thai women routinely go to monks for advice in this area. Many are superstitious and regard marriage and when it should happen as very important to the success of the relationship.

I have first hand experience of this when my wife wanted to know what time I was born to the closest minute. She and her mother went to the temple and after a couple of hours with the priest reading astrological charts determined the time we should marry. I was here in the states when she called and told me when we had to marry.

Personally I have no problem with it. If it makes her feel better and keeps the peace I am all for it. We were going to marry anyway so what difference did a couple of months make in the grand scheme of things.

[color:"red"] Thai women routinely go to monks for advice in this area. Many are superstitious and regard marriage and when it should happen as very important to the success of the relationship.

[/color]

I hate to agree with you about this habit. However, my Thai family and I have never cared about that kind of monks. Each to his own, the uncomfortable feelings of the monks involvement on people's lives turn me off, however, may be these people feel good to have someone to talk to. There used to be a couple of monks who liked to call me often (of course looking for donation too) and I had nothing to talk about besides asking about some Budhist's teachings which one of them could not answer worth any mentioning and I politely told them to stop calling.

There were a couple of scandels caused by these monks closeness to the Thai females that one of them had to leave the monkhood, another one was sent back to Thailand. I beleive in doing the best one can in any situation and I DON'T believe that anyone can say what to do for merits.

If I were T3, I would marry at my convenience.

Jasmine

Archived