Notary Public services available

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suadum said:

To all US guys/gals: I thought I would mention that I have all my stuff here to notorize documents for use in visas, sales, etc. I'll do it for less than the US Embassy charges: B800 1st one and B500 subsequent ones. Embassy charges 1200/800 respectively.

PM me if you have a need.

Cheers,

SD

You are joking, right?

First thought I had when I considered doing this was wondering if the Thai DMV, f'rinstance, would accept a document notarized by Joe Citizen.

Second thought: I don't mind a guy making an honest dollar, but, coming from a commonwealth (Virginia) where notary PUBLIC services are free, even the discount to $20 sounds a mite steep. I always felt that the Embassy charges because they are a bunch of low-down, cocksucking, thieving scumdogs. :down:

C'mon, SD- you're a nice guy, relatively comfortable. Why join those bastards? :: :)

Not pointing to a particular person but if I'm in a foreign country and needed a notarized document (especially in LOS where one can easily obtain diplomas, certificates, stamps and etc. very easily), I'm going straight to U.S. embassy or to well established int'l law firm.

For non US people ...

In the United States, generally speaking, a notary public is a public official appointed by the government to serve the public as an impartial witness.

Usually individuals need no speical training to obtain a notary public license; they must only pass a simple test, have some form of background check, or obtain a bond or insurance to insure their integrity.

In the United States, a non-attorney notary may NOT offer you legal advice, may NOT prepare documents for you, and CANNOT recommend how you should sign something or even what type of notarization is necessary.

I asked about this topic to my sister, who is a lawyer. My curiosity got best of me since both she and I told state issued license just like notaries (meaning our license/jurisdiction is limited to license issuing state only).

She forwarded following US gov link to me ... the way I read it, it's fairlx complex subject regarding legality of this.

I would be curious to know is Suadum or anyone else have specific information regarding Thailand and US on this subject.

American Notaries Abroad

Summary: The performance of the functions of a notary public abroad for documents intended for use in the United States is governed generally by multilateral and bilateral treaties, Federal law and regulation and by the laws of the foreign country. Notarizing a document outside the United States may be a violation of the laws of the foreign country, unless the notarizing officer is specifically authorized by local (foreign) law or applicable international treaty.

Recognition of Notarial Acts Performed Abroad in the United States: The laws of states in the United States also make specific provision for the recognition of documents executed outside the United States. Most states have enacted legislation similar to the Uniform Recognition of Acknowledgements Act, the Uniform Acknowledgments Act and the Uniform Law on Notarials which recognize the admissibility of documents executed outside the United States before an ambassador, minister, consul general, consul, vice consul or consular agent of the United States.

Extraterritorial Notaries: Within the United States a notary public is authorized to perform notarial services within the jurisdiction provided by a commission. Some states have enacted legislation which provides for the performance of notarial functions outside of their home states of commission-filing or licensure provided the documents notarized are intended for filing or recording in the home states of the notaries. A few states have enacted reciprocity laws which authorize a notary from a neighboring state to act as a notary in another state provided the neighboring state has adopted a reciprocity provision. Finally, some states have enacted legislation authorizing notaries to perform notarial functions outside the United States for use in the United States. It should be noted that the laws of the foreign country may not authorize the American notary to perform this function, local law of the state in the United States notwithstanding.

Commissioners of Deeds: Various state statutes still in efffect in a number of states authorize the Secretary of State in each such state to appoint commissioners of deeds who can perform notarial acts extraterritorially for use in that state. The commissioner of deeds office evolved when the United States had few foreign-located consuls.

Judicial Sovereignty of Foreign Countries: Some nations view this authority of commissioners as an infringement of their judicial sovereignty. The United States recognizes the right of judicial sovereignty of foreign governments based on customary international law and practice; See, e.g., the Restatement (Third) of Foreign Relations Law (1987).

Possible Repercussions of American Notaries or Other Persons Notarizing Documents Abroad: Notarizing documents by a person not empowered by treaty or local (foreign) law to perform such acts may result in the arrest of a commissioner of deeds of American notary, even through the act is authorized by the laws of the commissioner or notary''s home state. The Department of State is concerned that, in the exercise of their powers, state commissioners of deeds or notaries public may unknowingly violate the judicial sovereignty of a foreign country by usurping the functions of duly authorized foreign officials. All U.S. Foreign Service posts are therefore instructed to advise the Department of State of the operation of any American commissioners of deeds or notaries public in their consular districts.

Hi,

it looks like that even the US government knows this - worst BS I've seen in a long time!

Yes, if you want a Notary Public you must use a thai one, embassies officials are in most countries not NP (actually I've never heard of any such) but can legalize some documents with a Foreign Ministry stamp.

A NP being outside his/her country (state also for US) - is up to the receiving authorities (thai or american) to decide if they accept it or not. IMO this is not illegal in Thailand so the documents legalized by SD are OK if he could have done the same in his country/state - more or less the same documents as the american embassy if meant for thai authorities.

elef

Wow, very comprehensive Jazz.

In a nutshell, per my research and stateside lawyer, my state has the reciprocity provisions within the US (for several states) and allows me to do docs for use by US interests outside the US. I cannot do docs for non-US interests (and why whould said interests accept those anyway?).

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

Wow, very comprehensive Jazz.

In a nutshell, per my research and stateside lawyer, my state has the reciprocity provisions within the US (for several states) and allows me to do docs for use by US interests outside the US. I cannot do docs for non-US interests (and why whould said interests accept those anyway?).

Cheers,

SD

So I gather you are saying you're jurisdiction covers only certain states right? Then you should specify states. Otherwise, it's not valid, right?

How about "Notarizing a document outside the United States may be a violation of the laws of the foreign country, unless the notarizing officer is specifically authorized by local (foreign) law or applicable international treaty." ...

I'm curious if Thailand and US have agreement for NP or whethere foreign NP needs to be registered/approved by Thailand. Or whether a work permit is required to legally perform the function.

As you know, US is very, very, too much legalistic country. What if my notarized doc (say leaving my last $1 to my sisters to share or fiance visa for my katoey gf) is invalid because it was notarlized in a country where local jurisdiction invalidates it.

Inquiring mind wants to know ...

Jazz said:

As you know, US is very, very, too much legalistic country. What if my notarized doc (say leaving my last $1 to my sisters to share or fiance visa for my katoey gf) is invalid because it was notarlized in a country where local jurisdiction invalidates it.

Valid point. I confirmed it was OK with my commission in US, but not with Thailand as I could not see any point (since the docs would not be used for Thai interests). I shall have my local mouthpiece Khun "Nick" interpret Thai law when I see him next. However, in reality, who is to say, after the fact, where the doc was notorized? In CA, NV, AZ or LoS? But in the end, better safe.

Cheers,

SD

>>However, in reality, who is to say, after the fact, where the doc was notorized? In CA, NV, AZ or LoS? <<

Sorry to be picky about this ... *BUT*

In my experience, it was always specified where and when it was notarized. Also the NP license information. In summary, it has to be done within jurisdiction by properly licensed person in order to be valid.

So I do think "where' is important, especially after the fact. I don't think it's a matter of being "safe" .. more being "legal" and "valid".

Khun "Nick" is a Thai lawyer? I'm in a market for a Thai lawyer, possibly.

Archived