Notary Public services available

Ya, Nick is a Thai lawyer who works for a Singaporean firm here in BKK. PM me for details. He specializes in setting up companies (esp. BOI or Amity Treaty ones), but does general civil legal stuff too.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

KS,

I understand your concern; however, what he's offering can greatly benefit board members, especially those that live in LOS.

Example: I/we drove up to the U.S. Embassy to have documents notorized one day ... it was a friday; and, the last friday of the month at that. Guess what? When we got out of the taxi on Wireless Rd., I saw a petite sign I had never seen before on the door to American Citizen Services.

It read: "American Citizen Services" is closed on the last friday of each month. ... day wasted driving up from Pattaya! ... well, I did have a couple of beers at the Golden Beer Bar, etc ... However, had I known of SD's services, the day might not have been wasted. Give him some slack ... some of us would benefit!

BTW, most Thai lawyers, even those that deal with farang, do not offer notary services.

Meant to add that info like this lends credibility to the board; and, may be worth more (by knowing certain members can offer assistance) than the money gained by advertising.

Yes, info can be worth more than money ... albeit granted that we all could all use more of that ... think of expansion and services rendered rather than a few bucks (Euros)! Any advantage you can gain over the competition may be worth more than small financial gains. Think longevity of the board!

Solid and legitimate assistance from one board member to other board members should be welcomed, IMHO.

New Petchburi Pete said:

Meant to add that info like this lends credibility to the board; and, may be worth more (by knowing certain members can offer assistance) than the money gained by advertising.

Yes, info can be worth more than money ... albeit granted that we all could all use more of that ... think of expansion and services rendered rather than a few bucks (Euros)! Any advantage you can gain over the competition may be worth more than small financial gains. Think longevity of the board!

Solid and legitimate assistance from one board member to other board members should be welcomed, IMHO.

2nd both your posts! :)

:up:

I agree with KS on this, and for a reason that has not yet been mentioned.

I took a look at the website, and the question of when and where a notary can act outside of its own jurisdiction is obviously a tricky one. You need to know something about bi-lateral treaties on notarial service, which I bet none of us here do. (I certainly don't.) Further, and not mentioned on the US State Department's very general description of the issue, Thailand has an Alien Business Law with severe penalties (e.g., 3 years imprisonment, etc.).

I don't know if this notary business comes within the Alien Business Law or not. I don't know what states are parties to the bilateral treaties mentioned on the site and which are not. But if someone is going to promote such a business, I think it is perfectably sensible for KS to ask that they do so on their own site and that if they want a link to that site here, that KS insist that they take out an ad here (say, the way Sunbelt does or did).

The fact that it is a useful public service is irrelevant. If that was the test, any business should be entitled to free advert space on this site.

>>Meant to add that info like this lends credibility to the board; and, may be worth more (by knowing certain members can offer assistance) than the money gained by advertising.<<

My numerous comments/concern (as noted in numerous posts above) is that such services may not meet US or Thail legality and thus invalidating the notarized document. If my assumption is true (and I don't know for sure) then why not go to Khao San and get a notary stamp and do it yourself?

Once upon a time, people actually believed that visa obtaining/running services (used to be widely available) were legal, only to be unpleasantly surprised when the crackdown happened.

Up to you ...

Upon reconsideration, most notorial services I have needed in Thailand required documents being done up at the U.S. Embassy ... and, looking over the horizon, I can see many more which will fall into this category.

When I handled my mother's estate however, I really didn't need to have documents notorized by the Embassy. Would SD's commission have been valid in those instances? Perhaps; however, it would have cost me $200./hr to email the Estate attorney just to inquire if SD's services would have been valid!

New Petchburi Pete said:

Would SD's commission have been valid in those instances? Perhaps; however, it would have cost me $200./hr to email the Estate attorney just to inquire if SD's services would have been valid!

Did u read any of my posts???? There is clear uncertainty regarding validity of his service ... you need to ask him since he had the action item to find out. I don't think he knows :dunno:

Archived