Trying to quit smoking cigarettes

kohchaiBKK

kohchaiBKK hit it directly as my doctor told me. I have been smoke free for three weeks now. I went cold turkey. It seems, to me at least, to be more psychological. As an example after dinner you are used to smoking, so you crave one then. Just find something to distract that craving and you are fine. By the end of week one the cravings have all but disappeared. I have smoked for 19 years and I tell you, I feel great now

kohchai,

all these pills won't stop you smoking unless you do it yourself anyway. they might be of some help, it did not work for me. tried anything on the market plus various nicotine plasters. several square-feet to tell the truth. zero effect.

it was in march this year that i have all of a sudden thrown all my smoking material into the river ( chao phraya) and that was it. this included even an expensive lighter to symbolise the very end. been smoking since i can walk upright.

unless you feel ready for something similar, forget the pills. what did finally help me to overcome hundreds of crises was that i told everybody it is over and they just laughed at me. made me so angry that i did not start again, pride etc.

agree with thalenoi that it is less an addiction than more of a bad habit.

as for now : feeling a lot better, no more headache after a day in the office. do not smell any more, ladies applauding. and (woefta) it is most definitely good for your sex-life. very sure about this now after about 6 months.

anybody out there thinking about quitting :

go ahead , it's worth any suffering for a short period.

buffalo bill

health section

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by HawaiiTony:

I have been smoke free for three weeks now. I went cold turkey. It seems, to me at least, to be more psychological

Still in agreeance. I'm on the 3 and a half week mark now. Getting much easier. Every time you knock back the urge you win. Was out last night and quite drunk..picked up a cigarette and fingered it a bit. It felt like a strange object, and to think that I've been putting these little white sticks in my mouth for the last 16 years. I put it down, forgot about it, another small victory. It only takes that 1 cigarrete to break you back into it. Must be cold turkey and TOTAL abstinance.

quote:

Originally posted by iono:

Zyban is the way to go I chewed tabaco for years and could never quit. Zyban helped me quit with out killing my family. 3 years and 400 pounds later still chew free.

Zyban = Welbutrin

kohchaiBKK,

I hope I'm not repeating anything anyone else said (it's late, I'm tired!!) but, yeah, this is above all a mind game. Just don't kid yourself that it's OK to have just one, 'cause either you're smoking or you're not, and even one means you are. I smoked 16 years, tried and failed to quit twice before finally doing it, and I've been quit now for 12 years. Guess I would've smoked about 100,000 cigarettes over those 12 years if I hadn't quit. I cut it down, then cut it out. I found I needed something to do with my hands, so substituted peanuts, which worked fine for me.

It's probably the best thing you can do for yourself, so do it, and best of luck, man!!

Archived