Married To a Thai ?....Have a Thai Passport

Torneyboy

Hi

Any of you falang guys that have a Thai wife.... do you have a Thai passport?

I was told that i (Australian)can obtain a Thai passport after five years of marriage to my Thai wife.

Any benefit?

Get in the short ques at the airport....what else??? :dunno:

suadum said:

Never heard that one before! Permanent residence status is very hard to get. You are talking citizenship here...

Cheers,

SD

Hi

Was just a passing question to my wife in the car on the way to BKK airport a few weeks ago...he (my father in law) said yes he can obain a Thai passport!!!

Today we spoke to a friend of my wife in BKK ...she is also a migration agent...told me/us yes he/me.... can get a Thai passport after five years of marriage....

benefits of thai passport (dual nationality if allowed):

-permanent residency & work permit in LOS

-free access to wat pra keow(grand palace) & all other wats!

-reduced entry to national parks & other sights

-full citizen benefits like healthcare(30bt min. charge!), pension, unemployment claims etc. etc :)

-right to use the 'neener' towards all farangs forever :neener:

-need to get visa to enter your former citizenship even for short holidays, visit etc(Oz if dual citizenship not allowed) :neener: :neener: :neener:

Nervous_Dog said:

Suadan - 5 years continuos work permit = perm res

In theory. But have you ever tried it or known someone who has? They only seem to issue a handful a year. I know several people who gave up.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

I know one man who moved to LOS in the 60ies - you know the style "all not staying 30 years at least are newbies". Working all over Asia for an international group but now retired since many years. Married all the time with the same TG and they=she owns houses in Bangkok and Chang Mai. He never had any visa - yearly the local policeman presents him a fine for overstaying and regularily he goes to a prosecuter he knows and gets a big discount on the fine. They never try to kick him out, never try to give him a visa - but if he asked for it after 5 years he had been a thai citizen. The reason for not doing this was at that time his own country didn't allow double citizenship.

Now it's almost impossible to become thai citizen without conenctions very high up - actually impossible.

elef

Archived